Deposit protection failure - County court claim

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Deposit protection failure - County court claim

    Hi all,

    If you have read my earlier posts you would know that I have a strong case with my depsit having been repetadly become unprotected during one and the same tenancy. However, I have an issue with who to file a claim against, the original LL (who still holds the deposit) or the LPA Receiver (who I pay rent to and are de facto my new LL with all the related obligations).

    Anyhow, leaving that aside, I would be really interested in hearing about any experience, and other relevant and solid info/advice, on how to go about and file a claim for return/protection of the deposit and the 3 times deposit compensation.

    Any common and material mistakes to avoid?

    Any advice on forms to use and how to file them and how to most effectively state the case and manage the process?

    Do I need a solicitor or barrister to do this or could I manage the whole process myself?

    My deposit is about 2,000 so I don't think this could be done as a "small claim", right?

    Any other pointers or comments that could help me to avoid any pitfalls or common misstakes?

    Much appreciated!

    Hi There,

    I took my LL to Court and was successful, I represented myself. The best place to go for help is the Consumer Forums, and go on the residential and lettings forum.

    Everything you need is there - very very helpful.

    Thank you!


      Ok. That is great news. Congratulations.

      Did you log your county court claim online (as I've read on here some suggest, but other say isn't the right way to go) or did you log that Form N208?


        I'm currently in the process of doing this. There's a lot of different opinions out there, but there has been guidance issued by the courts saying you should definitely use form N208. And when you submit evidence, attach this guidance (it's on the internet somewhere, I can't find the link now) to make the judge's life easier...

        First mistake I made: I submitted the claim between myself and the landlady. I should have done it between all the tenants (joint AST) and the landlady and her husband, as they both signed the contract. I had to submit an amendment to the claim, which delays the whole process. So get it right first time. And remember to attach some kind of written consent from any other tenants stating you can be the sole recipient of correspondence from the courts etc.

        These should in theory be very straight forward cases, so you just need evidence like a) the contract b) proof that a deposit was paid c) proof that it has not been protected or that the landlord has not provided you with details. In most cases I assume this would be correspondence between yourself and deposit protection agencies confirming that they don't have your deposit. In my case, it was a lot easier - the landlady did not provide details of a scheme despite being asked several times, and actually admitted verbally to me that she doesn't use the scheme as our tenancy was too short (wrong, and has been wrong for about 12 years...).

        Hope that helps.


          Excellent. Congratulations to you too. Did you log your claim while you were still in the flat or once you moved out/after the tenancy had ended?

          What costs did you incur through the process and did the judge order you landlord(s) to compensate that also?


            I made the claim six weeks after moving out, after strenuous efforts to get the deposit back and get details of her DPS. I think there's been an example of a case thrown out because the claimant wasn't the "tenant" at the time of making the claim, but it's up for debate. Even if the judge says we're not entitled to the compensation, we would still be entitled to our original deposit back - that's all I really care about, I'm not making a vindictive claim! Will let you know what the outcome is, it should be over the next few months or so.

            Our deposit was £1600, which means we were claiming for £6,400. So court costs were £225, plus £40 to make the amendment. When you fill out the form, there's a box to put your costs and they are automatically added on to any money you are awarded from the defendant.




              My case was recently thrown out because I had made the claim after my tenancy had ended. As international students we did not know about the DPS. We only found out afterwards when we were trying to get our deposit back. They took 1123 GBP from our 6,500 deposit.

              Is there any recourse?


                Originally posted by fredhash View Post

                My case was recently thrown out because I had made the claim after my tenancy had ended. As international students we did not know about the DPS. We only found out afterwards when we were trying to get our deposit back. They took 1123 GBP from our 6,500 deposit.

                Is there any recourse?
                Make a claim for return of the deposit only, i.e. for £1,123.


                Latest Activity


                • Possession order/Balliffs form
                  Had an email from my solicitor saying possession has been granted and if the tenant does not leave by June 11th then fill out the risk assessment form.

                  My worry is the tenants house guest who can be threatening and a nightmare. Should I mention this guy or not? Will it effect the bailiffs...
                  30-05-2019, 12:31 PM
                • Reply to Possession order/Balliffs form
                  Has the cuckooing been reported to the police/crimestoppers?

                  They are pretty hot on stopping it at the moment as part of the crackdown on 'Party Lines'.
                  26-06-2019, 11:57 AM
                • Reply to Possession order/Balliffs form
                  This is fairly normal, the tenant might as well try, but it's a waste of time.

                  In theory the judge can change the possession order from the usual 14 days to a maximum of 42 (i.e. a 28 day extension), but they can only do this if there is exceptional hardship associated with the earlier...
                  26-06-2019, 11:53 AM
                • Pets causing eviction
                  Hi everyone,

                  Bit of background to start with.

                  We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

                  The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
                  17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
                • Reply to Pets causing eviction
                  The OP seems to implied that the landlord is a charity who had a change of CEO, and the new CEO don't want tenants to have dogs.

                  Sure the agent not having told landlord is probably the most likely, but the alternative is at least plausible.
                  26-06-2019, 11:35 AM
                • Reply to Possession order/Balliffs form
                  You are assuming the council have the housing stock needed to house the victim. That hasn't been the case for decades.
                  26-06-2019, 11:09 AM
                • residential licence agreement v AST
                  My house has an annex which was built for my father. It is attached but self contained with no communicating door to the house, and has its own Council Tax assessment. The only utility in common is water. Since my father died I have been letting it out on an AST which I was confident was correct...
                  25-06-2019, 16:03 PM
                • Reply to residential licence agreement v AST
                  Very many thanks. Having looked at the Act I think I am (or will be in respect of a new tenant) a resident landlord IF an attached granny annex definitely counts as part of a building for these purposes. Are you aware of any support - cases perhaps? - for this. I have always assumed the opposite...
                  26-06-2019, 10:50 AM
                • Reply to Possession order/Balliffs form
                  I don't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  The tenant has filed with the court a N244 to stay in the property and the hearing is on the 1st of July. My solicitor says the contents don't worry me and it's laughable but I should pay for him to arrange representation just incase his application is granted....
                  26-06-2019, 10:49 AM
                • Not going ahead with a planned tenancy

                  I entered in to a lodger type agreement 5 weeks ago. I paid 6 weeks rent that was referred to as a 'deposit.' This was specified in the contract as being the tenancy deposit with the usual condiitions allowing the LL to retain part thereof. I was due to move in in one weeks time, but...
                  25-06-2019, 22:37 PM