X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepzofio
    replied
    Originally posted by midvale99 View Post
    I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick! Im not concerned about exercise! Im concerned about the amount of time it will take me to go to the bank every week. Paying in cash also gives her the ability to make late payments. It might not be a hassle for you, but for me it is and hence I was looking for a solution. I think I will insist on a bank transfer from a UK bank account. It saves her money in the long run too and avoids any disuptes.
    I would have thought she would need a UK bank account eventually anyway, if she intends to work over here, at which point she can set up a standing order. But for the interrim, I'd agree it's a good idea to make it as easy for her to pay you as possible.

If you're that bothered about getting to the bank, she can always pay the cash in over the counter at your bank direct to your account. She wouldn't need any account details other than those you would give her for a standing order, so no real security risk. She would get a receipt from the bank acknowledging the deposit, which she could use as proof of rent payment.

Leave a comment:

• Sussexlandlady
    replied
    I've only just seen this thread so sorry for coming in so late. I've had about 70 lodgers over nearly 11 years so like to put my 2p in...

"Im concerned about the amount of time it will take me to go to the bank every week."

Use the cash she gives you as your pocket spending money. That will save you two trips to the bank.

"Paying in cash also gives her the ability to make late payments."

Not at all. If she has to pay you every, say, Friday, and she doesn't, you can be knocking on her door on the Saturday morning asking for it. A standing order or direct debit can (a) bounce and (b) be stopped by her, if she is so inclined.

Leave a comment:

• midvale99
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Problem? What problem? Definitely make it easy for your lodger to pay their rent. I don’t see a problem with receiving cash every week. It's good exercise for you both regularly walking to your respective banks.

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick! Im not concerned about exercise! Im concerned about the amount of time it will take me to go to the bank every week. Paying in cash also gives her the ability to make late payments. It might not be a hassle for you, but for me it is and hence I was looking for a solution. I think I will insist on a bank transfer from a UK bank account. It saves her money in the long run too and avoids any disuptes.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    Problem? What problem? Definitely make it easy for your lodger to pay their rent. I don’t see a problem with receiving cash every week. It's good exercise for you both regularly walking to your respective banks.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Insist that she sets-up a UK (£) current account. If she has AUS$ funds, let her do the transferring and pament of bank fees.

Leave a comment:

• midvale99
    replied
    Thank you everyone for your repsonses. I have decide to take her on as my lodger.

I will get a copy of her passport as suggested.

One final point though. She says she cant set up a standing order for her rent payments. I assume this is because the money is coming from her australian bank account. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution to this problem? I dont want to have to accept cash every week and have to visit the bank every week to pay it in. I imagine that this is quite a common problem with foreign tenants/lodgers.

Leave a comment:

• quarterday
    replied
    Should I take aussie girl as lodger?

I have always found Antipodeans to be excellent tenants. Take a chance!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Telometer View Post
    Fine for a lodger, but with a tenant doesn't this give you an issue regarding the period of the tenancy?
    No, if rent is stated as due monthly.

Leave a comment:

• domino
    replied
    I am a searching for a new lodger and have found a nice girl who seems to fit in with my requirements (friendly, down to earth etc) but I have a couple of reservations.

She has just arrived from Australia and so currently has no job. She said she wants to sort out accommodation first before sorting a job out. She is a project manager and says she has saved up enough money to cover her whilst she looks for a job.

I am going to ask for a months rent in advance and paying subsequent payments weekly plus a months deposit. She has just given me 2 references - one from a previous employer back in Oz and one from an estate agents in Oz about her previous tenancy. I have called them up and verified them.

I have already been very inquisitive and warey about her and asked a lot of questions and have delayed committing to a final answer.

Are there any other precautions you think I should take? Do you think I should steer clear of her? She seems nice enough and trustworthy!

I know many people like to stay clear of tenants who cant prove their income but is it easier for me to get rid of someone since I am a live-in landlord? Do different laws apply?
    Since renting rooms out (both as lodgers and tenants), with three quarters of them either australian, south african, new zeeland, polish,etc... I personally never had any problems with any of them: prompt payments and DD as soon as they had a bank account sorted. Only some of the british ones have turned out to be bad payers! I may have been lucky with the foreigners of course, ... You've obviously made quite a few checks (more than I ever did!). Have you had a chance to meet her face to face? That is when you really will know whether you will be able to live under the same roof or not! If you can't meet her beforehand, please remember it will be as nervewrecking for her, as it will be for you, ... and SHE is more than likely to leave out of her own accord, if things don't work out! Have a lodger agreement with one week notice either side, ... remembering that you CAN change the locks as soon as she's out of the house, if things are really that bad! As many have said, trust your instinct!

Leave a comment:

• ezylet.com
    replied
    I am a searching for a new lodger and have found a nice girl who seems to fit in with my requirements (friendly, down to earth etc) but I have a couple of reservations.

She has just arrived from Australia and so currently has no job. She said she wants to sort out accommodation first before sorting a job out. She is a project manager and says she has saved up enough money to cover her whilst she looks for a job.

I am going to ask for a months rent in advance and paying subsequent payments weekly plus a months deposit. She has just given me 2 references - one from a previous employer back in Oz and one from an estate agents in Oz about her previous tenancy. I have called them up and verified them.

I have already been very inquisitive and warey about her and asked a lot of questions and have delayed committing to a final answer.

Are there any other precautions you think I should take? Do you think I should steer clear of her? She seems nice enough and trustworthy!

I know many people like to stay clear of tenants who cant prove their income but is it easier for me to get rid of someone since I am a live-in landlord? Do different laws apply?
    Hi there , well to give you the facts if they are an Aussie on working Visa they will have had to provide proof of their financial status before even getting their visa excepted to get into uk , I know as my fiancee is Aussie , she got her in July this year , she needed a minimum of £2500 top enter the country .

You could always ask to see her Visa entlilement , should be in her passport , this will give you a beter understanding of what her plans are.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Telometer
    replied
    Originally posted by tom999 View Post
    One option for overseas tenants or lodgers is to take 6 months rent in advance.
    Fine for a lodger, but with a tenant doesn't this give you an issue regarding the period of the tenancy?

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    I have lodgers some of which have come from overseas. I certainly believe anyone who has planned to live in a different country has saved a good amount of money first.

For overseas lodgers I ask for four weeks’ deposit and at least a week’s rent to be paid on or before moving in. My licence to lodge states that either side can give a week’s notice to vacate. Ask the lodger to bring their passport and a copy of the detail photograph page (don’t know what it’s called), compare the passport with the copy and keep the copy. You have already phoned the referees. Set out your house etiquette and make sure your lodger understands and agrees to abide by your rules.

You’ll get a feel for whether you and the lodger are likely to get along. However if things do not go as planned, you only need to give them a week’s notice to leave.

Leave a comment:

• tom999
    replied
    What stops any overseas tenant from suddenly leaving back to their country. Even if they had a job they could easily quit without telling me and move out. But even if she did move out, I have her deposit and rent in advance so not much hassle.
    One option for overseas tenants or lodgers is to take 6 months rent in advance. This is common, for example with overseas students.

It's your choice whether you wish to take on the lodger, but if there was a choice between:
    (a) Applicant with no job.
    (b) Applicant with job, and full checkable credit, work and rental history.
    I know who I'd choose.

You are correct in implying that a lodger has less security than with tenants. Landlord has more control as lodgers occupy your home on licence, and do not have security of tenure - unlike tenants. So, landlord can give lodger notice to leave if required. Ideally, a written lodger agreement should specify the amount of notice required. The lodger agreement should also, for example, give the landlord the power to enter and clean the lodger's room, so as to avoid 'exclusive possession' of any part of the landlord's property by the lodger.

You will also need to inform your insurance company and lenders (if property mortgaged).

Leave a comment:

• havensRus
    replied

I'd say go with you instincts - if you are not sure don't do it.

where does she live/stay now? with friends? hostel/digs?

If you've verified her references, then what's the concern?

Have you seen proof of the funds that she claims to have to support herself?

Getting a job without an address is difficult, so she's probably finding herself in a vicious cycle. No job, no place to live, no place to live, no job.....

I am going to ask for a months rent in advance and paying subsequent payments weekly plus a months deposit.
    You could ask for more

Lots of local people end up being bad lodgers anyway, even if they can prove income and everything else. She's got an incentive to get herself a job and get settled, which a lot of our young people here don't seem to have because the state will support them. I find that foreigners who've come here genuinely to make something of themselves make good tenants. They just need a helping hand to get going.

self employed people are often caught in this trap, unfortunately. A lodger does not have the same protection rights as a normal tenant, so getting rid is not a major hassle.

Go with your instinct.

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    Originally posted by tom999 View Post
    Yes.
    This can change very quickly, once tenancy has started. In theory, I presume, there is nothing stopping her from upping sticks and returning to Oz, e.g. 2 months into tenancy, no rent has been paid since start of tenancy, as no job/income; you come home one day to find Miss L + belongings (+ your stuff?) have vanished.
    Yes, but why go through hassle of lodger/tenant removal? Focus on getting the right one in the first place.
    You shouldn't use the word 'tenant' or 'tenancy' because it is not governed by the Housing Acts or L & T Acts, and one isn't being created. As she would only be a lodger I would certainly give this girl a 'go' because she won't have security of occupation should OP not offer it. If it doesn't work out you could just ask her to leave. There's no need to have any written agreement, although the option exists.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X