Should I take this lodger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Problem? What problem? Definitely make it easy for your lodger to pay their rent. I don’t see a problem with receiving cash every week. It's good exercise for you both regularly walking to your respective banks.

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick! Im not concerned about exercise! Im concerned about the amount of time it will take me to go to the bank every week. Paying in cash also gives her the ability to make late payments. It might not be a hassle for you, but for me it is and hence I was looking for a solution. I think I will insist on a bank transfer from a UK bank account. It saves her money in the long run too and avoids any disuptes.

Comment

I've only just seen this thread so sorry for coming in so late. I've had about 70 lodgers over nearly 11 years so like to put my 2p in...

"Im concerned about the amount of time it will take me to go to the bank every week."

Use the cash she gives you as your pocket spending money. That will save you two trips to the bank.

"Paying in cash also gives her the ability to make late payments."

Not at all. If she has to pay you every, say, Friday, and she doesn't, you can be knocking on her door on the Saturday morning asking for it. A standing order or direct debit can (a) bounce and (b) be stopped by her, if she is so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by midvale99 View Post
        I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick! Im not concerned about exercise! Im concerned about the amount of time it will take me to go to the bank every week. Paying in cash also gives her the ability to make late payments. It might not be a hassle for you, but for me it is and hence I was looking for a solution. I think I will insist on a bank transfer from a UK bank account. It saves her money in the long run too and avoids any disuptes.
        I would have thought she would need a UK bank account eventually anyway, if she intends to work over here, at which point she can set up a standing order. But for the interrim, I'd agree it's a good idea to make it as easy for her to pay you as possible.

If you're that bothered about getting to the bank, she can always pay the cash in over the counter at your bank direct to your account. She wouldn't need any account details other than those you would give her for a standing order, so no real security risk. She would get a receipt from the bank acknowledging the deposit, which she could use as proof of rent payment.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X