Attachment of earnings farce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment of earnings farce

I thought I'd share my recent experience of another aspect of the justice system.

One of my Ts has had trouble keeping up with his rent due to what I later discovered was a gambling problem. He is in employment, so can afford to pay. I issued a S8 notice, and he eventually went to the council who told him to contact Shelter. Shelter called me to discuss the case, they were trying to help him with his problem, and he'd asked if the rent and arrears could be taken off his wages directly. He had actually asked his employers directly, but they said they couldn't do it without a court order. I agreed to go for an AofE, and so went through MCOL, got the money order, then applied to have the case transferred to local court, then applied for AofE. The T was most co-operative, stating clearly what he wanted to happen. The process took a while, but then the order finally came .. and I was gobsmacked to say the least.

Judge made a "suspended attachment of earnings order", whereby, the T was to pay me direct, an amount of £25 every week. If the defendant didn't pay, then i was to use form N446 etc.etc. and if I objected to write to court within 16 days of the order etc.etc.

To say I was livid was an understatement. The T had asked that £150 per week be deducted directly from his wages. But the judge had completely ignored that, and decided in his "impared" wisdom to do something completely different.

I wrote in with my objection, and explained the T's history, an provided copies of statements, letters and discussion with Shelter etc.etc. in one of my now standard witness packs. I also got T to write a letter of objection, and sat with him whilst he did it, and posted it myself!!

Looks like the objection from both sides did the trick. I've now received a notice with a revised order for the full attachment of earnings.

What is the point of going through all that hassle if the Judge can disregard the information in front of him and make such outrageous orders? Some justice!!

We are currently collecting the money via DD every Friday which is when the T gets paid. When the AofE kicks in, we'll stop the DD collection, but at least we have that option if the AofE process fails again.
    Last edited by havensRus; 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM. Reason: typo

I know in cases where a tenant goes into Debt Management, the DM company asks for a Financial statement from their customer, i.e. income & expenses per month, in order to work out how much is payable to creditor(s) (usually a few £'s a month over X years!), but in this case the AoE judgement seems to have been way off target given the overwhelming evidence.

Well done on the end result!
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
      BlueMystery
      I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
      26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
    • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
      KTC
      That ....
      26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
    • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
      Paul4321
      Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
      20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
    • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
      KTC
      A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
      26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
    • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
      MrShed
      I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
      26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
    • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
      IoIo
      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
      26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
    • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
      MrShed
      Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
      - Subletting
      - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
      - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
      26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
    • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
      Logical.Lean
      I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
      Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
      26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
    • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
      Wright76
      I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
      26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
    • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
      purpleangel
      Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
    Working...
    X