Starting at the beginning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Starting at the beginning

    You'll have to bear with me, the world of renting is quite new to me, so I'm here to get any advice you guys have.

    Myself and my partner are trying to get our own place - currently out of work so on jobseekers, but we have long term savings to aid with the rent.

    We're eligible for Housing Benefit or whatever it's called these days, but as soon as you mention that to a Rental Agent they run a mile.

    But you cannot get Housing Benefit before you're actually in the place. Or you cannot apply before you have secured a place whether you move in immediately or not.

    We're in Glasgow - and finding it frustrating that we see a nice place, within our price range and then we go to the agent and as soon as they get a whiff of benefits they don't want to know.

    We're responsible tenants who pay all our bills on time - and this is no different.

    Are there any agents in Glasgow who are friendly to our situation and don't only advertise hovels to stay in?

    And are there any words of advice from you guys in general about this?

    I was half thinking of concealing our situation from the Agent because we want a nice place and we will pay our rent without any problem - but they assume the worst.

  • #2
    Instead of agents you may need to try private landlords.

    (1) Call your local council and (not sure in Scotland, but in England/Wales) ask to speak to either the landlord liason officer, tenant relations officer, or Housing Options department or similar) to see if they have any schemes with private landlords.

    (2) Several factors may help your application:
    • Guarantor who is a working homeowner
    • A deposit (4-6 weeks rent)
    • Rent in advance
    • References from previous landlords, professionals
    • Working / history of work


    In England and Wales, housing benefit is now called Local Housing Allowance (LHA).
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tom999 View Post
      Instead of agents you may need to try private landlords.

      (1) Call your local council and (not sure in Scotland, but in England/Wales) ask to speak to either the landlord liason officer, tenant relations officer, or Housing Options department or similar) to see if they have any schemes with private landlords.

      (2) Several factors may help your application:
      • Guarantor who is a working homeowner
      • A deposit (4-6 weeks rent)
      • Rent in advance
      • References from previous landlords, professionals
      • Working / history of work


      In England and Wales, housing benefit is now called Local Housing Allowance (LHA).
      Thanks for the speedy response.
      Problem I have with going private is that there's less security - landlords can chuff tenants out whenever they like - am I correct in saying there's no lease to protect the tenant from eviction in the case of private landlords? They also have a rather iffy reputation as opposed to what Letting Agents have.

      Is there such a thing as a list of LHA/HB-friendly agents in Glasgow?

      That said, would the affiliation with the council you suggest give the security I'm referring to?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Danny_G13 View Post
        am I correct in saying there's no lease to protect the tenant from eviction in the case of private landlords? They also have a rather iffy reputation as opposed to what Letting Agents have.
        I cannot think this can be correct, especially in Scotland where landlords must be registered. Check out the Shelter info on private lettings - they have a dedicated Scotland website: http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getad...g_rights?id=hp

        An iffy reputation compared with letting agents?! Unless Scottish letting agents are significantly more organised, knowledgeable, helpful and professional than their counterparts south of the border (and there is no reason why they should be), I am struggling to believe that.

        Sorry I can't help with your other questions (about LHA), but good luck in your search for a home. It sounds like a frustrating situation to be in and I hope you find somewhere you like before too long.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Danny_G13 View Post
          Problem I have with going private is that there's less security - landlords can chuff tenants out whenever they like - am I correct in saying there's no lease to protect the tenant from eviction in the case of private landlords?
          No, private landlord's (or letting agents) should give you a written agreement likely to be a short assured tenancy or an assured tenancy. In both cases, landlord will need to served a notice to quit and get a court order to end the tenancy (if tenant does not agree to leave).

          If you're unsure about a private landlord, then call the council to check they are registered (it's illegal since 2006, not to be registered).

          Originally posted by Danny_G13 View Post
          They also have a rather iffy reputation as opposed to what Letting Agents have.
          Opposite is true in England and Wales.

          Originally posted by Danny_G13 View Post
          Is there such a thing as a list of LHA/HB-friendly agents in Glasgow?
          The council may have a list of agents/private landlord's.

          Originally posted by Danny_G13 View Post
          That said, would the affiliation with the council you suggest give the security I'm referring to?
          This would depend on the type of tenancy.
          The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

          Comment

          Latest Activity

          Collapse

          Working...
          X