Deposit protection obligation: LPA Receiver or original landlord?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silvercar View Post
    If the landlord is insolvent, would that make the tenant a creditor?
    Yes, but only an unsecured creditor.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      Very good point; even if LL wanted to protect the deposit, he's prevented from doing so. What a brilliant system! (not)
      Agreed about the "not". However, he could potentially use the DPS - if tenant is still in occupation, provided the DPS don't prevent him from doing so because he'd been barred by Mydeposits or was insolvent. I suppose if he couldn't reprotect elsewhere, he'd have to return it.- but if he is insolvent, he cant.

Hmmnn what a brilliant system indeed.... (not)
      Last edited by havensRus; 10-11-2009, 18:30 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally posted by SE1 Tenant View Post
        The LL / agency situation is very different from the LL / LPA Receiver in my view, on the ground that ultimate benefactor of the cash flow generated by the flat/proterty (i.e. the rent) is now the LPA Receiver. This is not the case in a LL / agency situation.

!!
        That is not the case the reciever has to apportion the income in a specific way set out in law, essentially first he has to pay the interest on the loan to the lender, then some other obligations followed by his own costs/fees(which are also set out in law) and if there is still a surplus the remainder back to the mortgagor/LL

My take on the deposit would be that as the LL cannot protect the deposit he cannot take/hold one so must return it to the tenant, after all the deposit ultimately belongs to the tenant

Comment

So, of the LPA Receiver has appointed an Managing Agent (which belongs to the same company as the LPA Receiver) is my counterparty when/if I file a county court claim for depsoit not being protected:

1) LPA Receiver;

2) Managing agent appointed by LPA Receiver;

3) Original Landlord (who holds deposit);

or

4) Any/all of the above?

I have read and read and read but I can still not quite figure this out.

Any info or advice that could shed light of this would be valuable and appreciated. Or if there is a solicitor/legal professional on here that would like talk in/advice private about that I am open for that also as I'm in a catch-22 situation if I can't figure this out as I have a very clear cut case but I don't know who to file the County Court claim against. I've tried a few solicitors but they have not been able to give me a straight answer either.

Comment

Another, eh, interesting twist to this is that as my deposit is not protected the LL or LPA-R can not notice me to leave as long as I pay my rent, right?

In that case the LPA-R can't sell the flat which ultimtely he/she is mandated to do to recover the mortgage for the mortgage lender/bank.

So, shouldn't really the LPA-R be responsible for the deposit, after all, as without being in control of, and if it gets unprotected, he/she can not fullfill his/her obligations.

Comment

Another thing, again, if now the LPA-R is really acting as an 'agent' to the LL they could still be held liable for the deposit (protecting and returning it) and accordingly I could direct my claim for protecting/returning the depsit and the 3 times deposit on the basis that they are just an 'agent' of the LL.

All according to 212 (9) (a):

(9) In this Chapter—

(a) references to a landlord or landlords in relation to any shorthold tenancy or tenancies include references to a person or persons acting on his or their behalf in relation to the tenancy or tenancies, and

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2004...pt6-ch4-l1g212

Comment

More discussion and some additional interesting and relevant conclusions and information on this topic on this blog:

http://landlordlaw.blogspot.com/2009...blem-what.html

Comment

Another, eh, interesting twist to this is that as my deposit is not protected the LL or LPA-R can not notice me to leave as long as I pay my rent, right?

In that case the LPA-R can't sell the flat which ultimtely he/she is mandated to do to recover the mortgage for the mortgage lender/bank.
                  They couldn't use a s.21 notice seeking possession, but they could use Ground 2.

See http://www.bilberrybloom.com/citizen...1/11050612.htm

Comment

Another thing, again, if now the LPA-R is really acting as an 'agent' to the LL they could still be held liable for the deposit (protecting and returning it) and accordingly I could direct my claim for protecting/returning the depsit and the 3 times deposit on the basis that they are just an 'agent' of the LL.

All according to 212 (9) (a):

(9) In this Chapter—

(a) references to a landlord or landlords in relation to any shorthold tenancy or tenancies include references to a person or persons acting on his or their behalf in relation to the tenancy or tenancies, and

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2004...pt6-ch4-l1g212
                    Yes, you can also claim against the LL's agent.

Comment

in similar situation

What happened at the end in your case? I am in a similar escenario and i am doing a bit of research on the matter.

Did you pursue the receivers for the 3x deposit claim? what has happened since?

Any light you could shed on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New mattress request - what would you do?
                        PollyW
                        So, brand new mattress one year ago at the start of a 6 month tenancy. Tenant now requesting a replacement due to "springs being shot to pieces".

I do not buy cheap mattresses - I have always thought it is a false economy. However, without being disrespectful, these tenants are...
                        21-09-2017, 18:59 PM
                      • Reply to New mattress request - what would you do?
                        PollyW
                        I have found the receipt for the mattress and it is 14 months old. Went to the local shop where I bought the mattress and spoke to the owner. (Incidentally I have bought 7 mattresses, all identical from the same shop, all without issues - the oldest is now about 5 years old and it shows no sign of deterioration)...
                        25-09-2017, 11:24 AM
                      • Council Tax Owed By Former Tennant
                        philos
                        We rented a property a couple of years ago to a lady who left owing council tax. The bailiffs arrived looking for her so I gave them as much information as I could as to her whereabouts . A few years on we have received a bill for the council tax as they have obviously not found her or she as refused...
                        24-09-2017, 19:57 PM
                      • Reply to Council Tax Owed By Former Tennant
                        theartfullodger
                        NEVER chuck tenancy paperwork , certainly not for at least 7 years. (CGT, IHT, HMRC, insurance etc etc etc..)

What other evidence (emails, letters, bills, regular bank transfers of rent .....) do you have that she was in residence? Give copies to council.

(& tell them...
                        25-09-2017, 11:18 AM
                      • am I an excluded occupier??
                        sdm038
                        Am trying to find out my legal position, if any - here are my circumstances in brief - living in my fathers home in London, he lives in Italy, been here over 5 years, don't pay rent, been looking after the place for him, and also was in Italy looking after him and mother on and off. Recently brother...
                        24-09-2017, 20:44 PM
                      • Reply to am I an excluded occupier??
                        sdm038
                        I agree with you leaseholder64 - but when someone with an LPA is motivated purely by greed they are not going to respect someone else's wishes, especially when the donor already lacks mental capacity. And its going to be difficult to prove....
                        25-09-2017, 11:17 AM
                      • Memorandum of AST Renewal
                        Guby
                        Could anybody please help with a Memorandum of AST Renewal Draft/ Template.

Thank you in anticipation....
                        25-09-2017, 11:02 AM
                      • Reply to Memorandum of AST Renewal
                        jjlandlord
                        IMHO, what the RLA and NLA do or don't do isn't very telling of anything apart perhaps that such documents do not sell well enough....
                        25-09-2017, 11:17 AM
                      • Reply to Memorandum of AST Renewal
                        theartfullodger
                        Neither RLA or NLA appear to do them: Think that's an interesting lesson.

IMHO either (recommended) roll on periodic, more incentive for tenant to comply with tenancy terms, or issue new AST, inventory, deposit, photos etc etc...
                        25-09-2017, 11:15 AM
                      • Reply to Council Tax Owed By Former Tennant
                        ss002d6252
                        The only reason the council would be asking for a tenancy agreement is a) to get a copy for their records or b) they're double checking the liability is correct. There's nothing to stop a local authority retrospectively from altering their records if they find that they are wrong to make you liable...
                        25-09-2017, 11:13 AM
                      Working...
                      X