Live-in Landlord moved out. Decreases Rent But At what cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Live-in Landlord moved out. Decreases Rent But At what cost?

    I was paying £310 per month on a 6 month (short term) lease. (INCLUDING bills). There are 3 others at the property (including the landlord), all of whom were paying the same and have been at the property roughly 12 months.

    I have now been at the property 8 months and the landlord has decided to move out. He has got another tenant to take his room. When he moved out he mentioned the rent was now £280 (EXCLUDING bills - which are elec/gas, no others) and it was upto the rest of the tenants to pay the bills equally. We all agreed in principle to this, assuming the £30 difference would cover the bills. Well, it turns out that the money deducted will not cover the bills...so we could end spending £330 ish + a month each to cover it.

    What I want to know is, do we have any rights at all here? Or because the short term lease is up and we're on 'month to month' basis - we have no rights?

    I should mention I'm in Scotland (if that makes a difference).

  • #2
    Last point first: yes, a lot. Scottish land law (and L&T) is very different from in E&W.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      Last point first: yes, a lot. Scottish land law (and L&T) is very different from in E&W.
      Just out of interest then...what would the situation be if in England?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by johnnybravo1 View Post
        Just out of interest then...what would the situation be if in England?
        L might increase rent using s.13 of the Housing Act 1988, if the letting is an AST/SAT withing that Act.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

        Comment


        • #5
          So does anyone know what the Scots law is for this?

          Is our landlord getting away with ripping us off here?

          Comment


          • #6
            So the four of you are spending £120 pcm between you on energy bills? Is that an average, or the actual cost for the last quarter (Aug-Oct)? If the latter, then should we assume it will be even more in the winter?

            What is the EPC rating for the property?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              So the four of you are spending £120 pcm between you on energy bills? Is that an average, or the actual cost for the last quarter (Aug-Oct)? If the latter, then should we assume it will be even more in the winter?

              What is the EPC rating for the property?
              Sorry I mis-quoted. There are 3 of us in the property.

              We are paying £90 on bills per month ....However, as its obviously colder we are going to be paying a lot more than that. We predicted we were £2 a day on electicity, which left £1 a day on gas. Turns out it may even be £2 a day on gas (as thats our central source of heating)...so obviously it could be double what we're paying in gas ; £60 per month...Total being £120 a month instead of £90.
              You can assume we paid £90 in July/August/October . The heating was never on at all. However this month is evidently different and heating will be on every day...So thats where the concern is coming from really....

              lastly, I have no idea what the EPC rating is , sorry.

              Thoughts guys? Cheers


              Comment


              • #8
                So, what is the monthly market rent for similar rented properties without bills?

                Would you prefer to rent a different property with a live-in landlord who takes responsibility for bills?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                  So, what is the monthly market rent for similar rented properties without bills?

                  Would you prefer to rent a different property with a live-in landlord who takes responsibility for bills?
                  Not the issue is it.

                  My question is simply, do the tenants have any rights when the landlord is asking for bills to be paid between us. We ALL signed contracts to begin with that stated the cost was INCLUSIVE of bills. Now obviously we are past the 6 months short lease....so what gives??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Have you spoken to your council housing department - they should know the law. This is an E&W site really, hence you're not getting the responses you are obviously wanting.

                    Try shelter - they have an 0808 number you can ring

                    http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getad...ccupation_hmos

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You agreed a rent of £280 per month with the landlord. I doubt you can renege on the agreement.

                      If you provide answers my original questions, I think the solution may become apparent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                        You agreed a rent of £280 per month with the landlord. I doubt you can renege on the agreement.
                        It was a verbal agreement. Nothing was signed from anyone.

                        So, what is the monthly market rent for similar rented properties without bills?
                        £250-£280 per month.


                        Would you prefer to rent a different property with a live-in landlord who takes responsibility for bills?
                        Doesn't matter really. What I'd like to know is how much I'm having to pay every month so I (and the rest of the T's) can budget. Also none of us like having to pay over the initial £310 per month (that was originally agreed on).

                        If you provide answers my original questions, I think the solution may become apparent.
                        Thanks, but I don't really see how moving out is a solution here. (assuming your applying this).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                          Have you spoken to your council housing department - they should know the law. This is an E&W site really, hence you're not getting the responses you are obviously wanting.

                          Try shelter - they have an 0808 number you can ring

                          http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getad...ccupation_hmos
                          Thanks for the info. Will do this, cheers.

                          Comment

                          Latest Activity

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X