Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant in Breach

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone can explain the procedure for when a tenant is on breach of contract?

my "lovely" tenant has done the following without any permission.
    1. Moved a second person into the property, from Day 1.
    2. Mounted a 40" LCD screen on the fireplace wall.
    3. Have a pet cat, AST states, NO Pets.
    4. Smoke in the property, AST states No Smoking.

They are also parking across the front of a set of communal steps which is causing issues with the neighbours.

What do I do? Do I have to ask them to cease smoking, get rid of the cat, park elsewhere or can I serve notice as tenant is in breach? Do I have to give them an opportunity to rectify?

The flat mate moved in on Day 1 of the tenancy according to the neighbours. I'm not sure why this has been kept a secret, I assume she is on the electoral register. But I'm concerned that is I take steps to remove tenant that the "other one" stay there and I have to evict.

thanks

What does your TA say about guests? most state that immediate family and temporary guests are ok.

Who is responsible for the bills (gas, elec etc). If T, the extra person will only have an adverse impact on the level of wear and tear and may be something you have to live with.

Also, did the T fill out a "questionnaire" on application on which he stated (i) he did not smoke (ii) was asked whether any other person was to live at the property, (iii) pets (such questionnaires are advisable for this reason)? If so, this may open up grounds to evict (having obtained the tenancy on false pretences).

Comment

Originally posted by Barch View Post
      What do I do? Do I have to ask them to cease smoking, get rid of the cat, park elsewhere or can I serve notice as tenant is in breach? Do I have to give them an opportunity to rectify?
      Write a firm letter before action to T, giving them 28 days to rectify the breaches. If you are not happy with the response you get, then serve notice (s.21) for T to leave.
      Does T owe any rent?

Originally posted by Barch View Post
      The flat mate moved in on Day 1 of the tenancy according to the neighbours. I'm not sure why this has been kept a secret, I assume she is on the electoral register. But I'm concerned that is I take steps to remove tenant that the "other one" stay there and I have to evict.
      Does it say that T can sub-let on AST?
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

But S21 only operable at end of fixed term. In my opinion s8 for these "breaches" would not have a cat in hells chance of success!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          But S21 only operable at end of fixed term.
          A valid s.21 notice can be served at any time after tenancy starts; whilst its true that LL cannot apply for a court order until after the fixed term, it does give LL mandatory possession on a no-fault basis. Presumably you have a better solution to help the OP resolve the situation?

Barch,
          1. When did the tenancy start?
          2. What is the fixed term of the AST?
          3. Is the property in England or Wales & annual rent less than £25k?
          The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
            A valid s.21 notice can be served at any time after tenancy starts; whilst its true that LL cannot apply for a court order until after the fixed term, it does give LL mandatory possession on a no-fault basis. Presumably you have a better solution to help the OP resolve the situation?

Barch,
            1. When did the tenancy start?
            2. What is the fixed term of the AST?
            3. Is the property in England or Wales & annual rent less than £25k?
            1. Tenancy started 1st August. AST does for guests, but the other occupier is permanent and, according to the people upstairs, moved in on the same day.
            2. Fixed term of 6 months.
            3. Yes.

Thanks for the responses so far. Still not sure what to do, but formulating a response. Might get the agent to do a spot check and see if they come clean

Comment

s.21 advice in post #3 still applies (as long as any protectable deposit is protected) if you require the property back. Valid s.21 served now would expire Feb 2010; then apply for a court order, if the tenants do not wish to surrender the property.

Comment

Presumably you have a better solution to help the OP resolve the situation?
                Tom, think before you write! A S21 will not remove them until end Jan 2010 (if they actually go). I told the OP that a S8 in my opinion will not work. Those are the 2 solutions. I would be very interested to hear your alternatives! Perhaps you think a S8 for the "breaches" would work? Let me know!

Comment

A S21 will not remove them until end Jan 2010 (if they actually go).
                  Please explain?

Perhaps you think a S8 for the "breaches" would work? Let me know!
                  Have not mentioned S8.

Comment

it may surprise you that tenants don't always leave a property when they should. Sometimes they stay put and you have to go to court to remove them - thought you knew this given posts above...

Comment

I must admit I prefer a tenant (like mine) who says "Im sorry, I have just lost my job and got another which does not pay so much, thus I can't afford to pay all the rent, do you mind if my boyfriend moves in to help me with this?"
                      Really, provided such an arrangement isn't costing you anything more in utilities because your tenant is paying them the additional wear and tear is insignificant. I don't think a court would think much of your other reasons for wanting to remove this tenant either. However this tenant has clearly breached the conditions of your tenancy - probably by never bothering to read them - thus your only solution is to use the section 21 no fault process as stated above.

P.P.
                      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

totally agree PP

Comment

Tom you asked a rather sarcastic question and got a rather sarcastic reply - nothing more! Have a good day

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
                            What does your TA say about guests? most state that immediate family and temporary guests are ok.

Who is responsible for the bills (gas, elec etc). If T, the extra person will only have an adverse impact on the level of wear and tear and may be something you have to live with.

Also, did the T fill out a "questionnaire" on application on which he stated (i) he did not smoke (ii) was asked whether any other person was to live at the property, (iii) pets (such questionnaires are advisable for this reason)? If so, this may open up grounds to evict (having obtained the tenancy on false pretences).
                            Dominic, I'm not concerned by wear and tear of one additional occupant. They are not a "guest", they are living there full time. The fact that they have been living there since day 1 surely also points to obtaining by false pretences?

The smoking is an issue. And it appears its the rogue person who smokes in the flat. Unfortunately, the small travels up the stairs to the flat above and whilst the neighbours are aware they cant stop people smoking in their own ome, I thought I'd done this by including a no smoking clause in the AST.

thanks

Comment

smoking and pets are the usual problems but you could not use these as a reason to remove tenants no matter what it says in the AST - as advised I believe S21 is the only way forward...plus a letter asking them to stop which may just have an effect

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                                BouwensPB
                                I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                                26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                              • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                                Galatea
                                I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
                                27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Galatea
                                Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
                                The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
                                27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                              • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                                26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Thank you all for your comments. Very useful, informative and much appreciated.

The tenants are "moving out" on the last day of the current tenancy i.e. at the end of the term. My understanding is that if they're all listed as the "Tenant" then if one gives notice it's...
                                27-07-2017, 21:23 PM
                              • This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                Berlingogirl
                                This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                                27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                              • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                Berlingogirl
                                I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                                27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                                Wright76
                                You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                                27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                                theartfullodger
                                Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                                27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                              Working...
                              X