Can tenancy be ended with verbal notice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can tenancy be ended with verbal notice?

Quick summary:

This is a three bedroom house with LHA tenants. The 6 month AST began in March 2009. The couple split up 3 months ago and the wife left, taking the three children with her.

The tenant is not working and of course, has had his housing benefit reduced. He started to get into arrears and, after some discussion with my partner who pointed out that he was just going to get deeper into arrears living in a property he could not afford, gave one month's verbal notice. The AST (now periodic) is dated 16th of the month, but due to the arrears, my partner agreed to accepting the notice of 1 month ending a week early (tomorrow). Since giving notice we have been in contact with the tenant several times a week giving him help and advice regarding leaving the property in a good state etc and he has been well aware of his leaving date.

Tonight I received a phone call from the tenant telling me he had been advised (CAB) that as his notice was not given in writing, it is not enforceable and he wants to stay on as he has no-where to go.

To compound the matter, he had someone with him who claims to be a solicitor and work for a local council advising him he was in his rights to stay on as the notice given was verbal. I did put this third party right regarding a lot of information the tenant had decided not to share and this person backed down from 'representing' the tenant and apologised as they had heard only a selective parts of the story.

So, the short version - is verbal notice acceptable to end the tenancy?

Originally posted by Amber34 View Post
    So, the short version - is verbal notice acceptable to end the tenancy?
    No. If the tenant agrees to surrender the tenancy in writing this may be acceptable (depending on terms of AST) - but this is not the case here. The tenant has been advised to stay put, which is quite common, as the council will typically not rehouse the tenant unless landlord evicts.

You will need to serve valid written notice(s); serve s.21(4)(a); and s.8 g8, 10, 11. g8 is if tenant owes more than 2 months rent, if rent paid monthly. s.21 & s.8 g8 will give landlord mandatory possession.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tom. Thankfully the tenant has agreed to go quietly, especially as we gave him a few extra days to move out!

Comment

Glad it worked out. Just so you know even a formal written notice can be withdrawn by the tenant and you then have to follow court procedure to evict - I know because it happened to me!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          ...even a formal written notice can be withdrawn by the tenant and you then have to follow court procedure to evict - I know because it happened to me!
          A notice to quit cannot be withdrawn. Of course it is still the case that if the tenant does not leave that a court order must be obtained.

Comment

sorry Lawcruncher you are correct. I meant that the tenant said "I'm not going" (this is what I meant when I said the notice was withdrawn). The legal advice I had at the time was that the notice was "not worth the paper it was written on" and did not help at all with the case for eviction
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
              Jcg76
              I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
              Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
              24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
              Jcg76
              Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
              He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
              Can anyone...
              25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
            • Tenant application form
              Elum
              Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
              25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
            • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
              aciduzzo
              I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
              25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
            • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
              aciduzzo
              I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
              25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
            • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Pb21
              Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
              25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
            • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              leaseholder64
              It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
              25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
            • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
              scooter08
              Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
              I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
              25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
            • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
              scooter08
              I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
              25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
            • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Pb21
              Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
              25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
            Working...
            X