Hmmmm Not sure what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm Not sure what to do

I am not a professional landlord , I work in other fields .
    Due to the lack of work I decided to go on a World tour , I decided to fund this by renting my apartment out . I was going to be an accidental landlord for a year or so and come back once the economy picks up a bit . Rents have dropped and the Pound has fallen and so my spending power abroad has been diminished . The rental market is also quiet and thus there arent many tenants about .
    I phoned the Local Council and asked whether they wanted to rent my apartment directly , they put me in touch with an agent who primarily deals with Council cases (HB) .
    I contacted him (Simon) and he said that he could find me tenants immediately.
    Within a few days he had bought a Single mother and her two kids around to see the apartment and they liked the place and she said that she would like to move in , so far so good .
    She did seem quite affluent for a single mother , running a car , computer and was well dressed .
    She came around a few days later and said that she wanted all the furniture moved out , this quite surprised me , I have about £5000 worth of furniture that I was going to give her, but she was adamant that she wanted it all removed .
    We agreed a moving in date . I went down to the agent during the week and asked about the procedure for her moving in . I was expecting to be told the Ladys full name , her current address and proof that she is entitled to Housing benefit .
    Simon the agent wouldnt give me any of this information , He just said that I would have to trust him . When I pushed this on this , he got quite offended .
    He told me that she would be moving in in two weeks time . I asked him whether I could see the tenancy agreement . He told me that he would get the tenant to sign it on the day that they move in .
    I said that I would like to see the tenancy agreement BEFORE I leave the apartment and before they move in , but he said that it would be done on the day of the move
    The tenant is currently staying elsewhere and Simon is her agent for her current place , Simon tells me that she is reliable for the rent payment .
    The move is due to take place soon , BUT , I know nothing about this Lady , I dont even know her full name , let alone her previous rental history .
    All I have is what Simon tells me .
    I also asked her when her current tenancy is up and she said that it is already up, Strange, because she is still living there. For all I know, she could have had her benefits stopped and she could be facing eviction from her current address . All I have is Simons reassurances.
    So: I am about to let my apartment out to a person whom I know nothing about, not her full name, her current address or her benefit entitlements. She will have all her furniture in my apartment and her two kids . This will all count against me, if I need to evict her.
    I have bought it up with Simon that I am concerned that I have so little knowledge about her, but he just tells me to trust him . BUT, if he isnt being honest , he can just walk away, whilst I will have a bad tenant in my apartment and all the costs and hassle that that will involve .
    I am going to see Simon tomorrow, what documents should I request to make sure that she is legitimate ?
    I am getting a bad feeling about this deal. Should I walk away from it ?

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I am not a professional landlord , I work in other fields .
    Due to the lack of work I decided to go on a World tour , I decided to fund this by renting my apartment out . I was going to be an accidental landlord for a year or so and come back once the economy picks up a bit . Rents have dropped and the Pound has fallen and so my spending power abroad has been diminished . The rental market is also quiet and thus there arent many tenants about .
    I phoned the Local Council and asked whether they wanted to rent my apartment directly , they put me in touch with an agent who primarily deals with Council cases (HB) .
    I contacted him (Simon) and he said that he could find me tenants immediately.
    Within a few days he had bought a Single mother and her two kids around to see the apartment and they liked the place and she said that she would like to move in , so far so good .
    She did seem quite affluent for a single mother , running a car , computer and was well dressed .
    She came around a few days later and said that she wanted all the furniture moved out , this quite surprised me , I have about £5000 worth of furniture that I was going to give her, but she was adamant that she wanted it all removed .
    We agreed a moving in date . I went down to the agent during the week and asked about the procedure for her moving in . I was expecting to be told the Ladys full name , her current address and proof that she is entitled to Housing benefit .
    Simon the agent wouldnt give me any of this information , He just said that I would have to trust him . When I pushed this on this , he got quite offended .
    He told me that she would be moving in in two weeks time . I asked him whether I could see the tenancy agreement . He told me that he would get the tenant to sign it on the day that they move in .
    I said that I would like to see the tenancy agreement BEFORE I leave the apartment and before they move in , but he said that it would be done on the day of the move
    The tenant is currently staying elsewhere and Simon is her agent for her current place , Simon tells me that she is reliable for the rent payment .
    The move is due to take place soon , BUT , I know nothing about this Lady , I dont even know her full name , let alone her previous rental history .
    All I have is what Simon tells me .
    I also asked her when her current tenancy is up and she said that it is already up, Strange, because she is still living there. For all I know, she could have had her benefits stopped and she could be facing eviction from her current address . All I have is Simons reassurances.
    So: I am about to let my apartment out to a person whom I know nothing about, not her full name, her current address or her benefit entitlements. She will have all her furniture in my apartment and her two kids . This will all count against me, if I need to evict her.
    I have bought it up with Simon that I am concerned that I have so little knowledge about her, but he just tells me to trust him . BUT, if he isnt being honest , he can just walk away, whilst I will have a bad tenant in my apartment and all the costs and hassle that that will involve .
    I am going to see Simon tomorrow, what documents should I request to make sure that she is legitimate ?
    I am getting a bad feeling about this deal. Should I walk away from it ?
    In a word : no, I wouldn't walk away.

I would run - like hell - in the opposite direction from this tenant and in particular from this agent.

Advertise the property yourself, or use a reputable letting agent to find you a tenant. If you are going abroad you should appoint someone you can trust to manage the property. This guy sounds Very Very Dodgy.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      In a word : no, I wouldn't walk away.

I would run - like hell - in the opposite direction from this tenant and in particular from this agent.

Advertise the property yourself, or use a reputable letting agent to find you a tenant. If you are going abroad you should appoint someone you can trust to manage the property. This guy sounds Very Very Dodgy.

He is affiliated with the Council though, he seems to be their agent of choice.
      The Council put me in touch with him . He only deals with referals, he doesnt advertise . That us why I have trusted him so much up until now

Comment

He is affiliated with the Council though, he seems to be their agent of choice.
        That in itself would worry me even more.

The Council put me in touch with him . He only deals with referals, he doesnt advertise . That us why I have trusted him so much up until now
        From what you have said, it sounds as though he is totally incompetent. Steer clear. There are plenty of agents, and if this is your first experience of letting, you would be advised to avoid LHA claimants anyway. They can be very high maintenance and you may be better off with 'young professionals'.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

so, will the council take responsibility should anything go wrong?

no, did not think so, like mtg says - run or if possible sprint!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            That in itself would worry me even more.

From what you have said, it sounds as though he is totally incompetent. Steer clear. There are plenty of agents, and if this is your first experience of letting, you would be advised to avoid LHA claimants anyway. They can be very high maintenance and you may be better off with 'young professionals'.
            Thnx.
            When I told Simon that I would like to see the Tenancy agreement BEFORE they move in and sign it , I just asked to view what was written and he replied "Are you sure that you want to go through with this deal ,I'll give you until next Wednesday to give me an answer"
            WTF , He could write anything on the tenancy agreement.

Comment

Could She be one of those * professional tenants* ?

Comment

Could She be one of those * professional tenants* ?
                She could be anybody and so could he, by the sound of him.

Comment

get the full info (refs, NI number, full details etc etc) or walk away - it costs THOUSANDS to get rid of a bad tenant in court and lost rent costs - do you think "Simon" will help pay those?
                  Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

I am going to ask Simon for some info about her . When he tells me that I should trust her and him , I will ask him whether he really, really trusts her to pay the rent .
                    If he says that he does (which he will) then I will ask him to act as her guarantor , if he refuses, then I will walk away from the deal .

Comment

How do you know he is the "Council" agent of choice... could he and the council employee be in collusion....

Sorry am in Paranoid mode at present! It just screams SCAM to me. It is your property and you are entitled to know the ins and outs of a ducks behind! Without it I would be running for the hills.
                      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                        It is your property and you are entitled to know the ins and outs of a ducks behind! Without it I would be running for the hills.
                        Yes, run to the hills everyone and join us in the middle of nowhere! Good views of sheep.

Comment

If you do nothing else, listen to the advice given by these people, they would have prior knowledge of the devastation caused by a bad tenant.
                          Don't even think about it, go to an accredited letting agent and leave it in their hands.
                          Unless of course you fancy being contacted whilst down a back street in Bombay to be told your property is wrecked and you need to come home to sort it out.

Comment

I will ask him whether he really, really trusts her to pay the rent .
                            If he says that he does (which he will) then I will ask him to act as her guarantor , if he refuses, then I will walk away from the deal .
                            ^^I like that thought^^. From what you say though they are in collusion and up to something, trust your instincts, don't get involved with them.
                            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Is Simon an accredited letting agent? member of ARLA, NALA or any such body?

Whilst the idea of asking this Simon to be a guarantor is a good one, he could also be more trouble than its worth.

I take on LHA claimant tenants, but would not recommend it for a first time and accidental landlord. Not worth the hassle, unless the person comes fully referenced and with a home-owning, working guarantor.

Find another agent - fast.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                                mandm
                                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                                I served the...
                                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                MrShed
                                JK - there are *some* upsides of taking a deposit. The main two for me:
                                1) Regardless of what it can feel like on here, the majority of tenants do not know they can play the system in this way.
                                2) There is something to be said for the mindset of a tenant who has something "invested"...
                                21-07-2017, 08:19 AM
                              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jpkeates
                                The ICO should be fining landlords for not registering as data processors - they're not.

The maximum amount of personal data held by landlords and agents arises out of tenant referencing, and, if that were to be destroyed after a couple of months, most landlords would arguably be pretty...
                                21-07-2017, 08:16 AM
                                JK0
                                I'm afraid this rant won't help you much o/p, but:

STILL!? Still landlords are giving tenants a way to wheedle thousands out of them for no good reason?

I have come to the conclusion this whole deposit protection nonsense is a government sponsored scam. There is barely any...
                                21-07-2017, 08:12 AM
                                jpkeates
                                They are probably claiming that you didn't protect the deposit and give them the Prescribed Information document, both of which you are required to do within 30 days of receipt of the deposit.

If you didn't do both things to the appropriate deadline, you didn't protect the deposit correctly....
                                21-07-2017, 08:09 AM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jjlandlord
                                Source: http://news.pwc.ch/31824/gdpr-key-ch...-eu-companies/

That being said, I don't think it will have much impact on landlords:

I don't think that'll be the case. References are legitimate and widespread.

21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
                              • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                                Hayleydenice93
                                Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
                                20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
                              • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                                theartfullodger
                                You do not have to own a place to be the Landlord. Suspect they rent from owner (their Landlord), they then rent (as your Landlord) to you.

Doubt there's any chance of getting proper tenancy from them. You could sign licence, move in, then try and get rights as an AST Tenant (eg sue for...
                                21-07-2017, 07:46 AM
                              • Claiming for Non protected deposit
                                charliesugar
                                This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
                                She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
                                27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
                              Working...
                              X