Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re:damage to property

Hi all,

I am very new to the forum but am very impressed with the depth of knowledge shown on here. Well done to all those that contribute.

I have a situation i would like some advice on.

My girlfriend and i rent a room in a flat (3br flat, there is us 2 and 2 other people = 4 in total). We share a kitchen and two bathrooms. We pay monthly to one of the guys who lives in the flat - he is not the owner. We keep the place quite clean and we have only been there for a month.

We signed a contract at the start (a month ago) setting out our responsibilities e.g. rent, bond, cleaning, etc etc. and we have no minimum contract. We pay the guy monthly for all bills and rent and that is the end of that. Furthermore, he is in contact with the landlord - we have never met the guy.

We had a situation a few nights ago where water from our shower leaked into the apartment below, causing damage not only to the roofing but cupboards as well. At this stage we are unsure as to the extent of the damage. The fire brigade found the leak by removing the board surrounding the shower - there was no way we could have seen any leak.

I would like to know where i stand in terms of liability for any damage - from what i can gather, the landlord is responsible for these sorts of things but i would like to know where this is stated and any legal rights i have.

Thanks for all your help

Originally posted by Shonny View Post
    My girlfriend and i rent a room in a flat (3br flat, there is us 2 and 2 other people = 4 in total). We share a kitchen and two bathrooms. We pay monthly to one of the guys who lives in the flat - he is not the owner. We keep the place quite clean and we have only been there for a month.

We signed a contract at the start (a month ago) setting out our responsibilities e.g. rent, bond, cleaning, etc etc. and we have no minimum contract. We pay the guy monthly for all bills and rent and that is the end of that. Furthermore, he is in contact with the landlord - we have never met the guy.
    Who is your actual landlord on the contract? "The guy" who lives there and who you pay rent to, or the owner of the flat?

We had a situation a few nights ago where water from our shower leaked into the apartment below, causing damage not only to the roofing but cupboards as well. At this stage we are unsure as to the extent of the damage. The fire brigade found the leak by removing the board surrounding the shower - there was no way we could have seen any leak.

I would like to know where i stand in terms of liability for any damage - from what i can gather, the landlord is responsible for these sorts of things but i would like to know where this is stated and any legal rights i have.
    Assuming that the leak was not caused by your negligence (sounds like it wasn't), then this is the flat owner's responsibility. He'll probably claim for repairs on buildings insurance.

Comment

Thanks so much for your quick reply Westminster.

The contract refers to 'the guy' who we pay our rent to (apologies, bad phrasing) as "the manager". He lives with us, so in my mind, he is a live in manager - not a landlord.

So i am unsure who is our actual landlord - by what definition do we define someone as the landlord? I assumed 'the manager' was paying our rent monthly to the 'landlord'.

Cheers

Comment

Whoever he is or isn't, if the escape of water was not your fault, it is not up to you to sort the insurance claim out, but the ownerr of the property (whoever he is).
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Shonny View Post
          The contract refers to 'the guy' who we pay our rent to (apologies, bad phrasing) as "the manager". He lives with us, so in my mind, he is a live in manager - not a landlord.

So i am unsure who is our actual landlord - by what definition do we define someone as the landlord? I assumed 'the manager' was paying our rent monthly to the 'landlord'.
          I was just curious what your actual tenancy status is, because it sounded like you weren't sure (and it's as well to know your rights, as they can vary significantly). Anyway, it sounds like you are a lodger a.k.a. excluded occupier and "the guy" is your landlord (no idea what "manager" means in this context, though).

You should have a read through the Shelter website as it's a good source of info on tenancies (as is this forum).
          http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...vate_tenancies

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
            mandm
            This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
            Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
            I served the...
            21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
          • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
            mariner
            It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
            22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
            JK0
            I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
            21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
            mandm
            Letter sent with the evidence attached.
            Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
            I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
            21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
            Pickle135
            Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
            08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
          • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
            Pickle135
            Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
            21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
          • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
            scooter08
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
            England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
            AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
            12/04/2015
            21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
          • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
            scooter08
            Thanks for the reply jp....
            21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
            jpkeates
            Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
            21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
            scooter08
            I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
            21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
          Working...
          X