Some questions from an inexperienced Landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions from an inexperienced Landlord

Hi. I'm having some problems with my ex-tenant and I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

Whose responsibility is it to transfer utility accounts into the tenants' names? I just found out they haven't paid any electric the whole time they've lived there.

I had a gas fire which my plumber turned off and put a sticker on to say it was not to be used. The house was fully central heated so is it ok that I didn't replace the fire?

During the tenancy the shower leaked. We went and turned off the water supply to it but didn't replace it with a new one. The property has a bath so is it ok that I didn't replace it?

There was a problem with the hot bath tap in that it wouldn't run at a decent flow. The tenants didn't let me know until just before they moved out when I asked them if they needed to tell me anything so have they got any come-back on this now?

The tenants left the property dirty but they don't want to pay for me to get cleaners in. I don't have the money to pay for it up-front and can't afford to wait for the dispute service to get involved so I will have to do it myself. Can I still charge them for it? (They also left the garden overgrown with weeds and there are a couple of damaged items which I'm charging for). Unfortunately I didn't do an inventory as it was unfurnished so I didn't think there was any need (lesson learnt there).

Any help greatly appreciated as this is the first time I've let a property and I'm at the end of my tether with it as I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks very much.

Originally posted by newbieLLinneed View Post
    Hi. I'm having some problems with my ex-tenant and I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

Whose responsibility is it to transfer utility accounts into the tenants' names? I just found out they haven't paid any electric the whole time they've lived there.
    Common sense suggests the LL should do this (as the T has no real incentive to!), but if you haven't, you will just have to explain to the utility providers that Tenant X lived at your property from x date to x date and send a copy of the tenancy agremeent and T's forwarding address.

I had a gas fire which my plumber turned off and put a sticker on to say it was not to be used. The house was fully central heated so is it ok that I didn't replace the fire?
    Probably, as long as using the central heating in that room does not add significantly to the energy bills compared with using the gas fire. (Unlikely).

During the tenancy the shower leaked. We went and turned off the water supply to it but didn't replace it with a new one. The property has a bath so is it ok that I didn't replace it?
    I don't think it is. Baths costs Ts more in energy bills and not everyone finds baths convenient. They rented the property on the understanding there was a shower. You should have repaired/replaced it, or offered a refund to reflect the worsened provision of facilities.

There was a problem with the hot bath tap in that it wouldn't run at a decent flow. The tenants didn't let me know until just before they moved out when I asked them if they needed to tell me anything so have they got any come-back on this now?
    No, if they did not tell you they wanted it repairing, you weren't to know, really.

The tenants left the property dirty but they don't want to pay for me to get cleaners in. I don't have the money to pay for it up-front and can't afford to wait for the dispute service to get involved so I will have to do it myself. Can I still charge them for it? (They also left the garden overgrown with weeds and there are a couple of damaged items which I'm charging for). Unfortunately I didn't do an inventory as it was unfurnished so I didn't think there was any need (lesson learnt there).
    No chance, without an inventory. Learn from this.

Have you protected their deposit in a scheme?

You would be advised to spend a lot of time reading up on this forum about your repsonsibilities and your tenants' rights, before you re-let your property.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Did you have a gas safety certificate?

Comment

Read through these:

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          aciduzzo
          I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
          25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
        • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          theartfullodger
          How will you know who actually signs? Either do it front of you after copying id or via solicitor
          25-07-2017, 12:40 PM
        • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Pb21
          Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
          25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          theartfullodger
          It is landlord's responsibility, he may then choose to charge you for it (don't pay).

If he refuses to fix it, not a lot you can do, sorry
          25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          mariner
          What was stolen?
          Did you have personal contents Ins?
          LL is resp for repairing the door, which he may claim from your deposit or give you the bill to pay.
          Why did you not notify him of broken mortice lock, which gave burglar easier access and may have compromised LL's Ins?
          Personally,...
          25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
        • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          leaseholder64
          I would also have thought this was a case where planning permission was needed, as being flats, the normal permitted development rights, for extensions, would not apply. In that case, you, or rather your tenant, who should have forwarded it to you, should have received a consultation letter from the...
          25-07-2017, 10:55 AM
        • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          jpkeates
          Each guarantor is guaranteeing their own student's liabilities, so there needs to be three deeds.

Remember that each guarantor needs to see the tenancy agreement that they are guaranteeing (or one that is identical in terms) before they sign any deed and you should advise them in writing...
          25-07-2017, 10:34 AM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          jpkeates
          I'd suggest that tell the freeholder that your tenants are so badly affected by the work that you will either have to allow them to leave or offer a significant incentive to stay - which might be equal to all of the rent as compensation (if they were to leave). And see how they respond.

25-07-2017, 10:30 AM
        • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
          scooter08
          Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
          I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
          25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
        Working...
        X