Deposit Rules Prior to April 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit Rules Prior to April 2007

Our tenant paid a deposit of £675 in April 2004. When she leaves, is she entitled to receive interest back on the deposit as well as the deposit itself?

Fruitloop

Originally posted by Fruitloop View Post
    Our tenant paid a deposit of £675 in April 2004. When she leaves, is she entitled to receive interest back on the deposit as well as the deposit itself?
    Before 6 April 2007, there were no Deposit Protection rules- so what does the Tenancy Agreement state about interest accrual?
    In the absence of express provisions, and as the deposit does belong to T throughout, interest on it should also belong to T.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you Jeffrey

I've just checked the agreement and it does in fact state no interest will be payable. We're on a periodic tenancy now but my understanding is that under a periodic tenancy, the conditions of the agreement remain the same in this respect. Am I correct?

Fruitloop

Comment

The terms of the tenancy agreement still apply to the statutory periodic tenancy.

Comment

Ah ok Poppy - does that mean that if we had a two months notice on both sides clause, that would still apply too?

Fruitloop

Comment

When the tenancy has lapsed into a statutory periodic basis, the tenant should give at least one month’s notice in writing ending at the end of a rent period.

I personally would accept a month’s notice whenever given. I would not try to hold on to tenants that wish to leave after the end of the fixed term.

Comment

Thanks again Poppy.

Fruitloop

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitloop View Post
                does that mean that if we had a two months notice on both sides clause, that would still apply too?
                No. All provisions applying during the fixed term continue to apply during SPT except those relating to determination by Notice.
                See s.5(3)(e), below, with my underlining:

5. Security of tenure.

(1) An assured tenancy cannot be brought to an end by the landlord except by obtaining an order of the court in accordance with the following provisions of this Chapter or Chapter II below or, in the case of a fixed term tenancy which contains power for the landlord to determine the tenancy in certain circumstances, by the exercise of that power and, accordingly, the service by the landlord of a notice to quit shall be of no effect in relation to a periodic assured tenancy.

(2) If an assured tenancy which is a fixed term tenancy comes to an end otherwise than by virtue of:
                (a) an order of the court, or
                (b) a surrender or other action on the part of the tenant,
                then, subject to section 7 and Chapter II below, the tenant shall be entitled to remain in possession of the dwelling-house let under that tenancy and, subject to subsection (4) below, his right to possession shall depend upon a periodic tenancy arising by virtue of this section.

(3) The periodic tenancy referred to in subsection (2) above is one:
                (a) taking effect in possession immediately on the coming to an end of the fixed term tenancy;
                (b) deemed to have been granted by the person who was the landlord under the fixed term tenancy immediately before it came to an end to the person who was then the tenant under that tenancy;
                (c) under which the premises which are let are the same dwelling-house as was let under the fixed term tenancy;
                (d) under which the periods of the tenancy are the same as those for which rent was last payable under the fixed term tenancy; and
                (e) under which, subject to the following provisions of this Part of this Act, the other terms are the same as those of the fixed term tenancy immediately before it came to an end, except that any term which makes provision for determination by the landlord or the tenant shall not have effect while the tenancy remains an assured tenancy.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for your help - what a great forum - very much appreciated

Regards

Fruitloop

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                    mandm
                    This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                    Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                    I served the...
                    21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                  • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                    mariner
                    It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
                    22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
                    JK0
                    I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
                    21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
                    mandm
                    Letter sent with the evidence attached.
                    Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
                    I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
                    21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                  • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                    Pickle135
                    Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
                    08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                    Pickle135
                    Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
                    21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
                  • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                    scooter08
                    Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                    England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                    AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                    12/04/2015
                    21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                  • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                    scooter08
                    Thanks for the reply jp....
                    21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                    jpkeates
                    Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                    21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                    scooter08
                    I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                    21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
                  Working...
                  X