Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of Deposit where damage has occurred

Hi

Our long term tenant has given notice. She made us aware some time ago that she had damaged the lounge carpet with her iron and is aware that it will need to be replaced. My question is this: the flat currently has the same carpet throughout. We can no longer obtain this carpet and will have to therefore either have different carpet in the lounge or replace the carpet throughout the entire flat. Ideally (for aesthetic purposes) we would have preferred to have kept the same carpet throughout - where do we stand with what we can recoup financially from her?

Regards

Fruitloop

For how long a term has T resided? Iron-damage is not fair wear and tear, but you would have to downvalue even an un-iron-damaged carpet to take account of reasonable depreciation in value caused by normal usage.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for your quick response

Five years eight months

Fruitloop

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitloop View Post
        Thanks for your quick response

Five years eight months

Fruitloop
        A five year- and eight month- old carpet undamaged but used reasonably by T would be worth only a fraction of its new/replacement value.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Ok - but I am a bit confused on this one. If there was no carpet burn, we would not need to replace and would not expect to take any more from her deposit for the wear and tear. However, because it does need replacing, should she not be financially liable for the cost of that replacement?

Or is it that she is only legally obliged to replace it with a similarly worn one? (penny dropping moment!)

Are there guidelines as to what % reductions we should be using?

Fruitloop

Comment

Is that the only damage, apart from fair wear and tear? Are you really going to take money from someone that has paid rent consistently for nearly six years?

After nearly six years a carpet is virtually worthless anyway. Let the relationship end on a good note and freshen up the property for your hopefully equally as good, new tenants.

Comment

Thanks Poppy - valid point and I hadn't really thought of it like that

Fruitloop

Comment

http://www.arla.co.uk/infosheets/list.aspx?id=7#

Click on the heading entitled "Avoiding Betterment and Considering Apportionment" - then scroll right down to the bottom of the page, where's there's a table for calculating appropriate compensation.

Comment

Got to go with Poppy on this one....

You can not charge T for goods that will improve the property beyond the condition it was in when the tenancy began - LESS wear and tear. Ie you can't expect to have her pay for a new carpet to replace a 5 year old one.

This is my formula in these instances....

A) Life expectancy of product (carpet - 7 years?)
                  B) Current age of product
                  C) Original (not replacement) cost

Current value of damaged item is C divided by (A-B)

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                    http://www.arla.co.uk/infosheets/list.aspx?id=7#

Click on the heading entitled "Avoiding Betterment and Considering Apportionment" - then scroll right down to the bottom of the page, where's there's a table for calculating appropriate compensation.
                    Oooh - thats pretty much how mine works too!

Comment

Thanks everyone - all great advices - very much appreciated

Regards

Fruitloop

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                        Oooh - thats pretty much how mine works too!
                        Yours is a lot simpler!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                          aciduzzo
                          I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
                          25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
                        • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                          theartfullodger
                          How will you know who actually signs? Either do it front of you after copying id or via solicitor
                          25-07-2017, 12:40 PM
                        • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                          Pb21
                          Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                          25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                          theartfullodger
                          It is landlord's responsibility, he may then choose to charge you for it (don't pay).

If he refuses to fix it, not a lot you can do, sorry
                          25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
                        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                          mariner
                          What was stolen?
                          Did you have personal contents Ins?
                          LL is resp for repairing the door, which he may claim from your deposit or give you the bill to pay.
                          Why did you not notify him of broken mortice lock, which gave burglar easier access and may have compromised LL's Ins?
                          Personally,...
                          25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
                        • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                          Jcg76
                          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                          leaseholder64
                          I would also have thought this was a case where planning permission was needed, as being flats, the normal permitted development rights, for extensions, would not apply. In that case, you, or rather your tenant, who should have forwarded it to you, should have received a consultation letter from the...
                          25-07-2017, 10:55 AM
                        • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                          jpkeates
                          Each guarantor is guaranteeing their own student's liabilities, so there needs to be three deeds.

Remember that each guarantor needs to see the tenancy agreement that they are guaranteeing (or one that is identical in terms) before they sign any deed and you should advise them in writing...
                          25-07-2017, 10:34 AM
                        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                          jpkeates
                          I'd suggest that tell the freeholder that your tenants are so badly affected by the work that you will either have to allow them to leave or offer a significant incentive to stay - which might be equal to all of the rent as compensation (if they were to leave). And see how they respond.

25-07-2017, 10:30 AM
                        • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                          scooter08
                          Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
                          I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
                          25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
                        Working...
                        X