X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deposit used as rent payment

i have a question if you dont mind

i have a tenant who moved in 8 months ago

they are hard up on cash and have requested to use their deposit as this months rent payment

i have allow them to do this as i can see they are struggling

should i re issue them with a new contract, back dating it to the date they moved in, with a nil deposit? is this normal and acceptable practice?

i dont want them turning round at the end of the tenancy and them saying i owe them a deposit!

and should i protect myself against future rental arrears by serving them a notice now?

if so, which notice is best advised to serve them at this stage

thank you as always!

Originally posted by WarwickGrad View Post
    they are hard up on cash and have requested to use their deposit as this months rent payment

i have allow them to do this as i can see they are struggling
    Was this a verbal agreement, or was it written into the tenancy agreement?

Please also confirm:
    1. Is tenancy an AST in England or Wales?
    2. Is annual rent less than £25k?
    3. Is any protectable deposit protected?
    4. When does fixed term of tenancy end?
    5. Is rent owed? If so, how much?
    6. How often is rent paid (weekly, monthly, etc.)?
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

I personally would not allow use of deposit in lieu of rent payment. As a result, you have to delay serving a section 8 notice for rent arrears for an extra month. Not smart. Too kind.
      1. Was the deposit protected in the first place?
      2. Have you put in writing the deposit use as rent?
      3. How/when are they going to replace the deposit?
      4. What are they spending money on if it’s not the roof over their head?
      5. What’s going to be different on the next rent period?
      6. Have they applied for benefits?
      Definitely do not issue a substituted, retrospective tenancy agreement.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
        BouwensPB
        I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
        26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
      • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
        Galatea
        I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
        27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
      • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
        Pb21
        Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
        25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
      • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
        Galatea
        Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
        The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
        27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
      • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
        IoIo
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
        26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
      • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
        IoIo
        Thank you all for your comments. Very useful, informative and much appreciated.

The tenants are "moving out" on the last day of the current tenancy i.e. at the end of the term. My understanding is that if they're all listed as the "Tenant" then if one gives notice it's...
        27-07-2017, 21:23 PM
      • This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
        Berlingogirl
        This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
        27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
      • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
        Berlingogirl
        I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
        27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
        Wright76
        You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
        27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
        theartfullodger
        Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
        27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
      Working...
      X