Can T claim rent reduction re leak to bath/shower?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can T claim rent reduction re leak to bath/shower?

    Hi All,

    We got a long pending maintenance issue and the Landlord/Agent says that they are waiting on insurance to approve it before they can proceed. To give more details, we had a leak on the bath shower which caused water to drip through the carpets in the bath room and bed room. We got a temporary solution, where in they got the plumber to stop the water flow in the bath tub. It's been more than 3 months now, no action and the only response I get is that the insurance is holding it up. Clearly I am at loss as I was not able to use the bath shower.

    We have notified the agent/landlord, even before it leaked, as we observed similar pattern in other flats. And kept following up with the agent regularly via email, phone. Last week, I have asked Landlord/Agent to agree for a rent reduction until this is fixed, and I get no response from them and been following up with them for more than 2 weeks.

    Can anyone please advice the best course of action.

    Many Thanks
    London Tenant

  • #2
    You can organize the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from the rent, but you must follow a procedure precisely, or you risk eviction for rent arrears.

    The following quoted from You've already completed step one.

    A case (Lee-Parker v Izzet (1971) 1 WLR 1688) has established that, to use rent to pay for repairs, or to offset the cost of repairs against arrears, the tenant must carefully follow (in order) the steps below:-
    • give the landlord notice of the disrepair and a reasonable time to remedy it; then
    • inform the landlord (preferably in writing) that s/he will do the repair her/himself unless the landlord complies with her/his obligations; then
    • allow a further reasonable period for the landlord to do the work; then
    • obtain three estimates for the cost of the work from reputable builders; then
    • write to the landlord again, enclosing copies of the estimates and reminding her/him of her/his obligation to do the work, giving a further reasonable period to carry it out. The letter should warn that, otherwise, the tenant will do the work her/himself and deduct the cost from rent; then, if there is no response
    • arrange for the contractor who gave the lowest estimate to do the work, and obtain (and send to the landlord) receipts, with a request for payment; then
    • if the landlord does not pay, the tenant may deduct the cost from the rent (but not other charges such as service charges), then send the landlord a breakdown of the amount and period of the rent to be withheld.
    See also
    for more advice on dealing with disrepair.


    Latest Activity


    • Claiming for Non protected deposit
      This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
      She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
      27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
    • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
      [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]


      21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
    • Help. Scam/ fraud letting

      i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

      The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
      20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
    • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
      So who owns the Freehold?
      IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
      21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
    • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
      Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
      So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
      We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
      17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
    • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
      Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
      20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
    • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
      Going back to the OP.

      This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
      20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
    • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

      I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
      20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
      20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
      20-07-2017, 22:39 PM