T lost HB by cohabitation; can L evict cohabitee too?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T lost HB by cohabitation; can L evict cohabitee too?

The tenant was caught by the council for neglecting to mention that her (working) boyfriend had moved in and so they stopped her benefit. We're now completing the court paperwork for eviction under an S8. My question is this: because her boyfriend is now living there and he was not on the original tenancy, do we need to tick the 'trespass' box on the n5?

I just had a (probably unfounded) fear that if we get a possession order against her then he could stay behind.

You do not need to name the boyfriend on the court papers. When it comes to the eviction the warrant covers the removal of both the tenant and any other persons living there.

Comment

Originally posted by m&m View Post
      I just had a (probably unfounded) fear that if we get a possession order against her then he could stay behind.
      He could stay on, just to make life difficult for you.

A couple of years back, I had a situation with a couple where she was on the AST, he was not. So put only her name on court papers, she left before hearing, I got possession order but he stayed on after possession date and we had to get bailliffs. He had a dog (pit bull) and had previously threatened violence, so I asked for police assistance on day of eviction. He left the night before bailiffs appointment.

I don't know what the legalities would be if you put his name on the court papers if he's not on the AST. I wish I had done that, then at least I could have chased them both for the money judgement, particularly as he cost me a further 2 months of rent after she'd gone.

Comment

HavensRus - you cannot simply add someone onto a court summons for possession (or for a money claim either) unless they are party to the letting agreement.

If you did add a non-tenant onto the possession summons, they could apply using a free legal aid solicitor for their name to be removed, with you paying the costs for wrongly putting them on the claim.

The reason your man stayed on was because the partner left voluntarily by or just after the possession date whilst he stayed on in contravention of the court order. You then presumably ordered a Warrant of Possession in the partners name and if he had not left, you would have attended with Bailiffs who remove him under the "and any other person living there" right of the Warrant.

Do not put any person other than those named on the rental agreement on the summons under either S21 or 8 or any other possesion ground - its asking for trouble.

Comment

Fascinating responses. Thank you very much. Your mention of a tenant that threatened violence leads me to another point - we as agents are on all our ASTs as the 'landlord' using the following wording 'Joe Bloggs Ltd on behalf of the landlord as managing agent', so could we go on all the court papers as the landlord too? Would save landlords being worried about reprisals from tenants for evicting them. We don't mind so much - if a year goes by without someone threatening to slit my throat then I'm almost disappointed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
            Do not put any person other than those named on the rental agreement on the summons under either S21 or 8 or any other possesion ground - its asking for trouble.
            Agreed. He wasn't a party to the agreement, and I didn't know what the implications would be if i added his name to the summons, which was why I didn't and erred on the side of caution. It still doesn't stop me wishing I'd done so, and taken my chance.

Comment

we as agents are on all our ASTs as the 'landlord' using the following wording 'Joe Bloggs Ltd on behalf of the landlord as managing agent', so could we go on all the court papers as the landlord too?
              the notices/papers etc make allowance for landlord/agent/solicitor, so i suppose no reason why not?

Would save landlords being worried about reprisals from tenants for evicting them. We don't mind so much - if a year goes by without someone threatening to slit my throat then I'm almost disappointed :-)
              exciting life you lead then.....

Comment

If a year goes by without someone threatening to slit my throat then I'm almost disappointed.
                But if your throat were to be slit, you wouldn't be?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Well it would prove that someone (the throat slitter) was as good as their word! A rare thing these days :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    pdmalik
                    Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                    23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                  • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    wfd_property
                    So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                  • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    Manchesterlandlord
                    hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                    24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    wfd_property
                    Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                    KTC
                    "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                    24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                  • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    Jcg76
                    I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                    Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                    24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                    nukecad
                    At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                    And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                    24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                    jpkeates
                    Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                    Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                    Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                    24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                  • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                    JP23
                    Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                    23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                    jpkeates
                    Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
                    24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
                  Working...
                  X