Joint account for LHA tenant - who do you use?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joint account for LHA tenant - who do you use?

    A new tenant who is due to move in next month has agreed to have her housing benefit paid into a joint account.

    I've never done this before and don't know whether there is any account better than others for this purpose or whether there are any to avoid.

    For convenience sake, I was considering Nationwide, as that is where the account for all other rents is held and there is one local to the tenant that she could pay her top up into.

    Any advice or opinions would be most welcome


  • #2
    There would appear to be no reason why you cannot use any account provider you wish - whatever is most convenient for you both.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations


    • #3
      See LHA and Post Office Accounts.
      Credit unions are useful. Many have accounts specifically set up for tenant's (and people on low incomes/benefits), so funds can be transferred direct to LL's account (in same branch).

      As a note of caution, if LL is accepting direct payments (via a 'joint' account), then he/she may be liable for clawbacks if overpayments are made. Also, as it's the tenant's LHA claim, they can cancel it at any time if they wish to.
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .


      • #4
        OP, I'd recommend using a Credit Union account - as suggest by Tom999. I have a few LHA Ts who's LHA is paid that way - it gets BACSed to me directly as it hits the CU account!!


        • #5
          There are Credit Union accounts like this

          as Haven/tom suggest...


          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          • #6
            Thanks for your replies.

            I love the idea of the credit union, but have looked it up and there are none even remotely near me.

            Reading the other thread, I saw a poster uses Halifax as they offer a pass book. This will be my next line of investigation!

            Thanks again


            Latest Activity


            • NTQ during fixed term?
              Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
              (A residential let in England.)
              11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              Except that the repossession order doesn't actually end the tenancy either, it simply says that it must end.
              Then, either the tenant has to surrender the property to comply with the order or the order has to be executed by bailiifs.
              Which actually ends the tenancy.

              So the court...
              22-08-2017, 12:59 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              Which came first, the chicken, or the egg? ...
              22-08-2017, 12:55 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              I'm pretty unlikely to agree with anything you write, as a matter of general principle; and certainly, see no value in debating why. I wish you a good afternoon....
              22-08-2017, 12:52 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              Let's try to construct that piece of legislation.

              (1) & (2) can stand on its own. There's no inconsistence to prevent accepting that a tenant leaving after receiving a s21 before/without court is leaving "as a result of the service of a notice". The bit some have difficuities...
              22-08-2017, 12:14 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              The legislation the says that also says that it must happen at a hearing that is impossible.

              It has to happen at a repossession hearing when the tenancy has ended as a "result" of a s21 (and ended during a tenancy period to require a rebate).

              The only possible scenario...
              22-08-2017, 10:20 AM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              It's perfectly simple. Either you accept the tenancy ended as a result of the section 21 or don't.

              By taking the keys back and control of the property you are somehow accepting the surrender. Now, if you have no written notice from the tenant or deed of surrender your most definitely accepting...
              22-08-2017, 09:59 AM
            • S21 and refunds
              Because the poor old OP of THIS THREAD has seen it derailed by a long but nevertheless valid debate/argument/discussion about the interpretation of law, I've started a new thread because the discussion has raised some questions I'd like answers to.

              Say I have a tenant, whose AST started...
              18-08-2017, 05:52 AM
            • Reply to S21 and refunds
              er... perhaps pedant would be more apropros ...
              22-08-2017, 09:39 AM
            • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat

              I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
              16-08-2017, 16:53 PM