Landlord Address on n5/n119

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord Address on n5/n119

Can a landlord avoid putting his address on court paperwork by putting his letting agent's address? I.e. instead of putting it in as 'John Smith, 123 Letsbe Avenue, etc.', can it be 'John Smith, c/o Joe Bloggs Lettings Ltd, 22 Acacia Avenue etc?

Will a court stand for this? LL is afraid tenants will come and smash his windows after eviction, so he wants the agents' smahing instead :-)

Does anybody know the answer to this? It would be very helpful :-)

Comment

Yes, it is but only if the T has been given that address for service of documents on the Landlord - in compliance with S48 of the L&T act 1987.

In Tadema Holdings plc v Ferguson 1999, the Court of appeal held that a notice giving a "care of" address is valid.

HTH
      Last edited by havensRus; 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thank you. Do you mean on the AST (all landlords are shown with us as the landlord's agent and giving our address), or on the court paperwork?

Comment

A Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987 can be either:
          a. contained in the AST; or
          b. served on T thereafter. Anyway, if L1 transfers to L2, a new s.48 Notice (+a Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985) will be needed.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Many thanks guys, as always!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
              Paul4321
              Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
              20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
            • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
              wfd_property
              200 miles. Work needing doing? Tenant wanting 10 years? Why on earth doesn't he aspire to buy a place?

Flip it in a local auction. Use the money to buy something local to you and let to a stranger for 6 months....
              24-07-2017, 22:40 PM
            • Help re flatsharing legal position!
              CatherineCarr
              Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
              24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
              Wright76
              I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
              24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
            • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
              pdmalik
              Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
              23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
            • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
              wfd_property
              So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
              24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
            • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
              Manchesterlandlord
              hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
              24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
            • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
              wfd_property
              Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
              24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
            • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
              KTC
              "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
              24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
            • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
              Jcg76
              I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
              Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
              24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
            Working...
            X