T's expensive demands and tenancy problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T's expensive demands and tenancy problems

i have had a tenant (family of four) renting from me for more than 14 years without problems until early last year (2008), when i announced that i would have to increase the rent. my tennant agreed to meet the revised rental while adding that "further to paying rent" & "during 13 years that they had lived in the property", they had "invested in maintenance and repairs" as i was absent.
    i had never experienced any problems from them, and they were always up to date with rent, therefore i had left them to their own devices over the 13 year period.
    the tenant did initially meet the increase for several months before demanding that i should attend to various problems arising with the property.

i was initially unable to finance any of the repairs as i had increased the rent to pay for improvements to my own home. i wrote to express this and explained that if they would like me too organise or carry out repairs, i would only do so subject to them signing a 6 months shorthold tenancy agreement.
    they refused to sign despite my warning them that i may have to sell the property from under them. unfotunately, as if to prolong their tenancy, i was contacted by the local authority who laid down a list of problems on the tenants behalf. i have fulfilled some of the demands set out by the gentleman from the local authority and tenant, but not all of them.

having completed the improvements to my own home, i now have the oppertunity to leave or sell it and site ground 1 of the housing act using my principal home rule. but would this be a satisfactory way to remove the tenants as i have not entirely met the criteria of the tenant or those from the local authority gentleman.

furthermore & subsequently, the fire service, who were alerted by either the tenant or local authority, have offered either advice or recomendation based on a survey of the property. the tenant has relayed the information to me verbally and i have convinced the tenant that fire regulations are his responsibility.
    could this hinder any succesful conclusion to my repossesion of the property if my tenant has recently installed safety equiptment at his cost & due to my say so?

Are you real? You have the rent for fourteen years and do no work to the property in all that time, and then have the cheek to say your tenants are being awkward because they want the place bringing up to date. Join the real world.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
      Are you real? You have the rent for fourteen years and do no work to the property in all that time, and then have the cheek to say your tenants are being awkward because they want the place bringing up to date. Join the real world.
      You raised the rent to improve your own home then winge that the tenants who are paying you for a service want their property bringing up to date... and by the sounds of it if the EHO have been involved and issued a request for things to be done then it must be pretty bad.

In answer to your question though, yes you could evict them... BUT if you want to evict perfectly good tenants then I hope Karma comes and bites your butt with some of the tenants you read about on here. Its LL's like you that give the goods ones a bad name
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

You cannot leave your tenants 'to their own devices' for the best part of fourteen years, doing no repairs/maintenance to the property yourself, then expect them cheerfully to pay an increased rent so that you can improve your own home!

Like jta, I am wondering whether this is a real, or a trollish post.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug
          Really, what are you talking about here?
          the local fire service apparently suggested that the property should have smoke alarms fitted and that due to the layout of the property, an internal door needed to be replaced from the main living room seperating the stairway and hallway because the staircase was the only point of exit in the event of a fire, although i have only the tenants word for this.

Comment

i realise i might be seemingly unreasonable , but the tenant had never troubled me in all those years only to then demand the full 13+ years worth of repairs from the ground up to the roof. i would have carried out repairs throughout those years had i been aware, but myself and the tenant rarely had any contact and rent was always payed direct to my bank. i believe the demands were only made to prolong the tenancy as there were no demands prior to the rent increase.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              You cannot leave your tenants 'to their own devices' for the best part of fourteen years, doing no repairs/maintenance to the property yourself, then expect them cheerfully to pay an increased rent so that you can improve your own home!

Like jta, I am wondering whether this is a real, or a trollish post.
              i can assure you this is not "a trollish post".
              and the tenant had never declared any problems until the rent inreased.

Comment

i have attended to some of their concerns since the gentleman from the local authority contacted me, but no concerns were ever raised until the rent increase. the list is almost endless. it would seem that nothing was amiss with the property until i increased the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by aznon View Post
                  i have attended to some of their concerns since the gentleman from the local authority contacted me, but no concerns were ever raised until the rent increase. the list is almost endless. it would seem that nothing was amiss with the property until i increased the rent.
                  A house does not maintain itself.... The fact that you didn't do any inspection or didn't know about the repairs/maitenance issues is no excuse. Some Ts will just get on with it and not want to be a bother (like yours), and others will call you even when a light bulb fails.

Bottom line is the T was happy to carry out whatever repairs were needed or live with the issues, as the rent was probably quite reasonable ... no rent increase in 13 years. But once you woke up to the fact that you could increase the rent, the T ofcourse wanted value for money.

You have responsibilities as a landlord, so do get on with it, make the repairs/update the house and perhaps update your knowledge on the responsibilities of LLs in today's world.

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                    You raised the rent to improve your own home then winge that the tenants who are paying you for a service want their property bringing up to date... and by the sounds of it if the EHO have been involved and issued a request for things to be done then it must be pretty bad.

In answer to your question though, yes you could evict them... BUT if you want to evict perfectly good tenants then I hope Karma comes and bites your butt with some of the tenants you read about on here. Its LL's like you that give the goods ones a bad name
                    it is not the EHO who are involved, it was a gentleman from "strategic housing from my local authority" invited to intervene by my tenant who was recieving housing benefit topups. this gentleman has cost me a small fortune.

Comment

Its difficult to pass judgement on your situation without knowledge of whether the rent you have charged over the past 15 years, has been reasonable.
                      On the face of it, if the initial rent was reasonable and if you have never increased it over a 14 year period, then you have probably charged too little over a period of at least several years. Clearly, you have to take responsibility for that mistake.
                      It is always very bad policy in my view, to allow or require tenants to carry out their own repairs. It is your responsibility as LL, to carry out structural repairs and especially, it's your responsibility to make any changes concerned with safety. You should regularly review the rent so as to ensure that you receive an adequate return on your investment.
                      If at the end of 14 years you suddenly increased the rent to a level reflecting current rates (perhaps double?), you can expect some annoyance on the part of the tenant who probably believed that the low rent was recompense for the work he was doing to maintain the property.
                      It appears that you want the tenant to leave, so that you can either occupy the property yourself or sell it. No doubt you will be able to do this; but if you have required the tenant to pay for any recent repairs, alterations or installation of safety equipment, you should certainly reimburse him the cost involved.

Comment

it is not the EHO who are involved, it was a gentleman from "strategic housing from my local authority" invited to intervene by my tenant who was recieving housing benefit topups. this gentleman has cost me a small fortune.
                        The OP just doesn't get it does he!!

It doesn't matter if its the EHO or strategic housing or man from the moon. It seems you have failed your responsibilities as a landlord, have been given the chance to put things right, but are now whinging about it. Get real!!

I'm out!!

Comment

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
                          A house does not maintain itself.... The fact that you didn't do any inspection or didn't know about the repairs/maitenance issues is no excuse. Some Ts will just get on with it and not want to be a bother (like yours), and others will call you even when a light bulb fails.

Bottom line is the T was happy to carry out whatever repairs were needed or live with the issues, as the rent was probably quite reasonable ... no rent increase in 13 years. But once you woke up to the fact that you could increase the rent, the T ofcourse wanted value for money.

You have responsibilities as a landlord, so do get on with it, make the repairs/update the house and perhaps update your knowledge on the responsibilities of LLs in today's world.
                          i had increased the rent several times before with no objections, only on this occasion i had raised it by a reasonably higher amount due to personal cicumstances. the rent for the property was below the usual market value and would still be considered reasonable in comparison to local properties in the area. we have no tenancy agreement & i had no reason to meet any responsibilities as non were relayed to me from the tenant. but
                          now they are increasingly costing me to a point that far outways the rent increase and i have the oppertunity to cut those losses by reclaiming possesion. this was and still is my original question. would i have any problems if i declare my rented property as my principal home under these circumstances?

Comment

OK, let’s explore the eviction route.

What is the commencement date of the current tenancy agreement (written or not)?

Comment

i had increased the rent several times before with no objections, only on this occasion i had raised it by a reasonably higher amount due to personal cicumstances. the rent for the property was below the usual market value and would still be considered reasonable in comparison to local properties in the area. we have no tenancy agreement & i had no reason to meet any responsibilities as non were relayed to me from the tenant. but
                              now they are increasingly costing me to a point that far outways the rent increase and i have the oppertunity to cut those losses by reclaiming possesion. this was and still is my original question. would i have any problems if i declare my rented property as my principal home under these circumstances?
                              If you ever decide to let property again, please find out first how to do it properly and professionally.

It is not up to the tenant to tell you what your responsibilities are nor to ask you to carry them out.

The answer to your last question is no, you cannot, since it would not be the truth and it would be inadvisable to compound your irresponsible behaviour by perjuring yourself in the court hearing which you will almot certainly need to attend to gain a possession order.

You will have to follow the appropriate legal processes to regain possession of your property but given the length of the tenancy, the absence of paperwork and the disrepair, you may have a long wait.

If the property has gas, and your lack of interest has extended to not getting a gas saftey certificate (CP12) annually, you may also be looking at a criminal prosecution.
                              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                                mandm
                                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                                I served the...
                                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                jpkeates
                                I don't think the solicitor is chancing their arm or that the allegation is false.
                                The tenant has identified that you didn't give them the prescribed information and the solicitor is acting on that.

The penalty is likely to be on the low side (1 x the deposit perhaps - even though...
                                21-07-2017, 10:35 AM
                              • what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                                daxu
                                Hi,
                                I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
                                21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
                              • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
                                MrShed
                                What a load of rubbish this sparky is spinning to you!!

A single battery operated smoke alarm on a single floor is absolutely fine.
                                21-07-2017, 10:23 AM
                                MrShed
                                To be fair, allowing DPS to send the email is even worse, as this doesnt help you prove that they received it.

In fairness it doesnt sound like you did in fact give them the prescribed information...
                                21-07-2017, 10:18 AM
                                mandm
                                Thanks Guys for your immediate response, i will write and will attach the confirmation email from the DPS to the solicitor.
                                @AndrewDod I did not send them email, DPS did, i also asked them to post the confirmation to tenants but they said due to DPA, tenants needs to request that!
                                Is there...
                                21-07-2017, 10:03 AM
                              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                Depends on the storage provider. The other problem is though that in a disaster recovery position, they usually fail this to somewhere else, out of EU - which puts you in breach
                                21-07-2017, 09:50 AM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jjlandlord
                                Cloud storage providers let you choose where to store data for this very reason.

It is OK to send data to the US under the so-called "Privacy Shield" as far as I know.
                                21-07-2017, 09:46 AM
                                mariner
                                If you are confident you did provide required PI in full, then let T take you to Court; if not, settle. A Judge can only award T the Deposit (if not returned) + 1-3x deposit for the Penalty.

You cannot require T to sign anything, only ask.
                                21-07-2017, 09:43 AM
                              Working...
                              X