Deposit dispute & Breach of advertising?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit dispute & Breach of advertising?

1. The flat I have just left was painted, cleaned and inspected with no issues.
    Apparently there are some rent arrears but the letting agent has no evidence of when and who is responsible (shared accommodation) They have decided to take the entire £750 deposit without stating exactly why and without proper proof that money was owed - Please advise

2. The new property I have moved into (run by the same lettings agent) was advertised as ideal for 4 sharers. We have 3 people on the tenancy agreement but they are unwilling to allow us the 4th. We need the 4th person to make the house more affordable and feel that they are acting unfairly - Please advise

MrJingles

Originally posted by MrJingles View Post
    1. The flat I have just left was painted, cleaned and inspected with no issues. Apparently there are some rent arrears but the letting agent has no evidence of when and who is responsible (shared accommodation) They have decided to take the entire £750 deposit without stating exactly why and without proper proof that money was owed - Please advise
    Was this an AST in England or Wales, after April 2007, where annual rent was less than £25k?

2. The new property I have moved into (run by the same lettings agent) was advertised as ideal for 4 sharers. We have 3 people on the tenancy agreement but they are unwilling to allow us the 4th. We need the 4th person to make the house more affordable and feel that they are acting unfairly
    Was this an AST in England or Wales?
    Does tenancy agreement state 4 sharers?
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

The new property I have moved into (run by the same lettings agent) was advertised as ideal for 4 sharers. We have 3 people on the tenancy agreement but they are unwilling to allow us the 4th. We need the 4th person to make the house more affordable and feel that they are acting unfairly.
      I agree with you. If L (via A) advertised it as being for four people, L should have no objection to letting to four people.
      However, L has let to three. Why did they accept and sign-up to that, if their intention was to have four (not three) residents?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        MrShed
        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jpkeates
        Principle 8 - and probably Principle 7 (data is automatically replicated onto insecure devices).

Amazon allows users to control where their data is stored.
        Apple, Microsoft, Dropbox and Google do for their business offerings but not for their personal products.

This sounds...
        21-07-2017, 14:39 PM
      • Renting a flat to a company
        Raiden328i
        In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
        21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
      • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
        MrShed
        *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
        21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
        jjlandlord
        The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
        21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
        jpkeates
        The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
        None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
        A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
        21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
        jjlandlord
        Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
        21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
        MrShed
        I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
        21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
        tatemono
        backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
        21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
        jjlandlord
        It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
        21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
      Working...
      X