X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible landlord breach of contract

HI all,

i wonder if you could help me.

I have a six month lease which expires end Jan 2010. My agreement states that the property rental includes 2 x parking spaces in the underground parking bay and these 2 spaces are numbered in the agreement.

I have found out today that the landlord has sold the 2 spaces to another flat and obviously i think this is a breach of contract but am unsure what to do.

Can any advise me please.

Thanks
    Angi

1. If your L owned flat + parking spaces, he/she is probably a leaseholder.
    2. You have an AST of whatever L sub-let to you: presumably the flat + parking spaces.
    3. L's sale-off of parking spaces changes nothing in your AST; it is not a breach of it, either, although perhaps L is in breach of the long lease (if that contains a prohibition of selling-off part only of what the lease demised).
    4. L's purchaser (P) takes subject to your AST, just as if L had sold flat + parking spaces together.
    5. The position is therefore that:
    a. L is still landlord of your flat; but
    b. P is landlord of your parking spaces.

Don't panic!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

many thanks.

the problem is that the new owner is now using the spaces - so we cannot park our cars as we used to ...... any advice here please?

Comment

New L is trespassing. That is a clear breach of the AST and you might send a Letter before Action to threaten proceedings at his/her cost.
        Be clear. Old L could not sell the parking spaces with vacant possession- only as subject to your AST.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

trespassing... and interrupting your quiet enjoyment of the demised spaces.

Question to Jeffrey:

Is the demise within the AST (i.e. accommodation + spaces) severable in the way you describe?

In any event, it is likely the initial "LL" of the spaces was not a leaseholder of those spaces but had leasehold easement rights (or license) over them.if so, effectively these rights must have been (sub-)licensed to T in the AST for the term not let. Might this modify the position?

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
            Is the demise within the AST (i.e. accommodation + spaces) severable in the way you describe?
            Yes, except in the unheard-of case of L contractually agreeing with T not to do so.

Originally posted by dominic View Post
            In any event, it is likely the initial "LL" of the spaces was not a leaseholder of those spaces but had leasehold easement rights (or license) over them.if so, effectively these rights must have been (sub-)licensed to T in the AST for the term not let. Might this modify the position?
            We do not know:
            a. L's status (freeholder of block? long-leaseholder of flat?); nor
            b. the nature of L's interest in respect of the parking spaces.
            If OP (flangiperrin) tells us, we can then comment.

Comment

hi again

i can confirm that the flat is owned by the landlord adn so are the parking spaces. There is a management company in charge of the building etc but each flat is owned by a person / persons out right.

Does this help ?

Comment

No. Was your AST granted by:
                a. long-leaseholder of flat + spaces;
                b. long-leaseholder of flat only, who had rights to use spaces [see post #5's second half]; or
                c. freeholder of whole block?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X