Urgent advice regarding flat rental

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Urgent advice regarding flat rental

    Late last night water began leaking from the kitchen and went through the floor into the shop.

    My M8 phoned a plumber who claims the leak was due to the pipe the goes to the cold water tap bursting (in his opinion this was general waer and tear).

    Up comes the landlord and he burst in (I was visiting the flat about another matter at the time so am i wittness to all this) and starts going mental, after about 10 mins he clams down but says its my M8's resposibilty to pay for the leak to be fixed.

    After getting a price from the plumber he says he cannont afford the work until Friday, and the landlord just goes "fine I give you 24 hours notice to get out" also he says "You can not pay for the repair so you will leave your TV and PC here to cover the cost of the pipe".

    After a bit I went down to try and talk to the landlord on my M8s behalf as he was to frightned to speak to him, landlord then claim's he rents the whole building and is not allowed to sublet the flat under his contract with his landlord.

    So then i would like to know the following

    If the landlord is not allowed to sublet then has he broken the law and his own contract with his own landlord by doing so ?

    Therefore does this mean that this so called landlord canno't make my M8 go out within 24 hours.

    Has he been obtaing money by decption he has been renting to my M8 for 5 months, and all of this time my M8 has been refused a contract for himself.

    Finaly what happens in the longterm to my M8 if he contact's the person who owns the building what will happen, will he have to let my M8 stay there and pay rent to himself or can he chuck him out ?

    Sounds to me like you need to talk to the citizen's advice bureau or shelter for some legal advice. However, if the landlord has been accepting money from your mate in the form of rent, then said mate has an assured tenancy agreement even though it is not in writing which must last for six months and the landlord has to go to court to get the mate evicted.
    Normally the sort of water leak you mention would not be due to wear and tear, but the landlord's responsibility to fix. You don't state why it is considered fair wear and tear. Should your landlord attempt an eviction without a court order and court bailiff, he is breaking the law and legally it should cost him a lot of money. A solicitor may well be able to help you under the legal aid scheme.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


    Latest Activity


    • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
      Hi There,

      I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
      23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
    • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
      Your information is severely deficient,
      Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
      You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
      Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
      24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
    • Attending Court - Advice Please
      Hi there

      I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
      Thank you, Ill take a look!
      24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
    • Broken Boiler
      HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
      23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
    • Reply to Broken Boiler
      I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
      24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
    • Section 8 notice served, what next
      Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

      I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
      22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
    • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
      Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
      24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
    • Leak into downstairs flat - advice

      I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
      I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
      23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
    • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
      T responsibility.
      24-01-2018, 02:13 AM