Urgent advice regarding flat rental

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent advice regarding flat rental

Late last night water began leaking from the kitchen and went through the floor into the shop.

My M8 phoned a plumber who claims the leak was due to the pipe the goes to the cold water tap bursting (in his opinion this was general waer and tear).

Up comes the landlord and he burst in (I was visiting the flat about another matter at the time so am i wittness to all this) and starts going mental, after about 10 mins he clams down but says its my M8's resposibilty to pay for the leak to be fixed.

After getting a price from the plumber he says he cannont afford the work until Friday, and the landlord just goes "fine I give you 24 hours notice to get out" also he says "You can not pay for the repair so you will leave your TV and PC here to cover the cost of the pipe".

After a bit I went down to try and talk to the landlord on my M8s behalf as he was to frightned to speak to him, landlord then claim's he rents the whole building and is not allowed to sublet the flat under his contract with his landlord.

So then i would like to know the following

If the landlord is not allowed to sublet then has he broken the law and his own contract with his own landlord by doing so ?

Therefore does this mean that this so called landlord canno't make my M8 go out within 24 hours.

Has he been obtaing money by decption he has been renting to my M8 for 5 months, and all of this time my M8 has been refused a contract for himself.

Finaly what happens in the longterm to my M8 if he contact's the person who owns the building what will happen, will he have to let my M8 stay there and pay rent to himself or can he chuck him out ?

Sounds to me like you need to talk to the citizen's advice bureau or shelter for some legal advice. However, if the landlord has been accepting money from your mate in the form of rent, then said mate has an assured tenancy agreement even though it is not in writing which must last for six months and the landlord has to go to court to get the mate evicted.
    Normally the sort of water leak you mention would not be due to wear and tear, but the landlord's responsibility to fix. You don't state why it is considered fair wear and tear. Should your landlord attempt an eviction without a court order and court bailiff, he is breaking the law and legally it should cost him a lot of money. A solicitor may well be able to help you under the legal aid scheme.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
      mandm
      This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
      Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
      I served the...
      21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      Interlaken
      OP - yes do send the confirmation email from the DPS to the solicitor for the tenants. That should stop proceedings but did you give them the PI and How to Rent details + gas certificate. In future make tenants sign a receipt to say they received these items - I do it on move in day and leave them...
      21-07-2017, 08:41 AM
      MrShed
      JK - there are *some* upsides of taking a deposit. The main two for me:
      1) Regardless of what it can feel like on here, the majority of tenants do not know they can play the system in this way.
      2) There is something to be said for the mindset of a tenant who has something "invested"...
      21-07-2017, 08:19 AM
    • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      MrShed
      I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
      20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      jpkeates
      The ICO should be fining landlords for not registering as data processors - they're not.

The maximum amount of personal data held by landlords and agents arises out of tenant referencing, and, if that were to be destroyed after a couple of months, most landlords would arguably be pretty...
      21-07-2017, 08:16 AM
      JK0
      I'm afraid this rant won't help you much o/p, but:

STILL!? Still landlords are giving tenants a way to wheedle thousands out of them for no good reason?

I have come to the conclusion this whole deposit protection nonsense is a government sponsored scam. There is barely any...
      21-07-2017, 08:12 AM
      jpkeates
      They are probably claiming that you didn't protect the deposit and give them the Prescribed Information document, both of which you are required to do within 30 days of receipt of the deposit.

If you didn't do both things to the appropriate deadline, you didn't protect the deposit correctly....
      21-07-2017, 08:09 AM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      jjlandlord
      Source: http://news.pwc.ch/31824/gdpr-key-ch...-eu-companies/

That being said, I don't think it will have much impact on landlords:

I don't think that'll be the case. References are legitimate and widespread.

21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
    • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
      Hayleydenice93
      Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
      20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
    • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
      theartfullodger
      You do not have to own a place to be the Landlord. Suspect they rent from owner (their Landlord), they then rent (as your Landlord) to you.

Doubt there's any chance of getting proper tenancy from them. You could sign licence, move in, then try and get rights as an AST Tenant (eg sue for...
      21-07-2017, 07:46 AM
    Working...
    X