Noisy water pipes in bedroom

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cornflakes

    I don't think I have the exclusive rights. That is a house shared by 5 people, if including me. One of the tenants signed up the contract with the landlord who does not live in the house. And I , actually, signed the contract with the tenant.

    What's more, I have already moved out the house. What I wanna know is if i can have part of my money back. I paid the rent for 3 months but only lived there for 5 days.

    I tried to call the council housing team for advice this morning, which is suggested by my univ officer, but ended up by collecting more telephone numbers. Each one that i talked to gave me 2 or 3 numbers to call. That's a bit frustrating. So you know how happy i am to see your replys here. Thank you guys very very much.

    Leave a comment:

  • dazalock

    What Paul is trying to ascertain, I think, is if you are a tenant with exclusive occupancy rights or a lodger, living under the same roof as the landlord. Seems you are a Tenant, which mean you have sole and exclusive rights to all the amenities within your accomodation. Did you agree and sign a AST? If so it would seem to me that you have tenancy rights, you can then complain in writing that you are unable to enjoy peaceful occupancy of the accomodation and detail the reasons why. If the landlord fails to correct the problems you can inform him that you will have the problem fixed and deduct the cost from the rent, retaining all reciepts.

    Im pretty sure this is correct, maybe someone else can back me up here.

    Leave a comment:

  • Cornflakes
    Thank you for your reply. The landlord does not live in the house.And what is exlusive occupancy rights?

    Leave a comment:

  • PaulF
    Renting a room is not a landlord & tenant matter if the landlord lives there, therefore you have no occupancy rights but the "landlord" cannot make you stay your "term" either. Do you have exclusive occupancy rights therefore that you haven't told us and the landlord lives elsewhere?

    This is probably a matter of negotiation but if you can't resolve it go to the small claims court.

    There's no rules about noisy pipes.

    Leave a comment:

  • Cornflakes
    started a topic Noisy water pipes in bedroom

    Noisy water pipes in bedroom

    I rented a small room in late March and paid the deposit and 3-month rent. After I moved in I found that the two water tubes running through the room constantly made noises. I could not sleep at night and moved out. The landlord insisted that the noise is normal and refused to give any rent back.

    What i want to know is if i have the right to get my money back. What is the acceptable level of noise for a bedroom? Thank you very much.

Latest Activity


  • Reply to Is landlord responsible to fix embedded kitchen appliances?
    by doobrey
    Actually it's principle....
    27-07-2021, 06:30 AM
  • Is landlord responsible to fix embedded kitchen appliances?
    by K_zone
    Hi all,

    I’m a tenant that moved into a new build in London that comes with an embedded (in built) oven, microwave, fridge and wine cooler. After I signed the contract and moved in, I realised that the wine cooler is not working. The letting agent did not inform me about this before I...
    25-07-2021, 19:18 PM
  • Reply to New front door and windows
    by royw
    It would be better to get a specialist window fitter or someone recommended by the manufacturer rather than use the 'go to guy'.
    26-07-2021, 22:02 PM
  • New front door and windows
    by Steve95
    I'm looking into having a new front door, living room and first floor windows fitted to my rental property, and the letting agency "go to guy" really doesn't inspire confidence when I met him today! (On other quotes for different work) He mentioned that the glass needs to be toughened if...
    26-07-2021, 21:32 PM
  • Reply to New front door and windows
    by ash72
    Yes if the windows are below a certain height, they need to be toughened glass so that someone can't accidentally break it. If they are at standard level then no toughened glass is required. Also windows need to be a certain width in case of fire.

    FENSA is only the body that regulates the...
    26-07-2021, 21:41 PM
  • Reply to Breeding dogs without evidence
    by ash72
    As the T has stated, there isn't much more you can do, see if they leave in Oct, if not follow up with proceeding to the courts and eventually bailiffs if they have not left.
    26-07-2021, 21:35 PM
  • Breeding dogs without evidence
    by Mason1
    Our tenants have broken the tenancy agreement 9 times - painting my kitchen cupboards and chopping down trees. So it’s section 21. My issue is. We allowed 3 dogs and were told they would be housed outside and they intended to build a kennel. This hadn’t happened, instead they seem to be converting...
    26-07-2021, 18:45 PM
  • Reply to Imminent eviction
    by nreid
    Congratulations Perce. I’m so happy to hear this is over. You have been through total hell with this. I remember the support you gave me - and how upbeat and optimistic you were about it all. Yours was 16 months, mine was 21 months. I’ve left the place empty. Cannot bear dealing with it or hearing...
    26-07-2021, 18:30 PM
  • Imminent eviction
    by Perce
    Hello All

    Update : My tenant has no plans to move out before bailiffs arrive which is imminent. I have no clue what the bailiffs will do. He will start complaining that he has nowhere to go although he lives somewhere else just keeps his stuff in the property for free, he might say...
    21-07-2021, 19:10 PM