• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zarnticolz View Post
    to answer your post poppy

I want to

gain access to the property

If there is anyone in there I want them to leave

If there is no one in there I would like to get new decent tenants in
    So go about it professionally as you have been advised, and avoid breaking the law!

Did you understand my explanation about how tenancies may be ended?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Tenancy is only ended if you have a court order for possession or know that the T has surrendered the tenancy by handing over keys.

If you do not have keys then a court order is the only safe way. There is risk in every other way.

Why not put an unobtrusive seal on the door to see if anyone is using the flat. Check it after a week.

If seal is unbroken, you could then take a calculated risk and get locksmith to change lock. You would then need to post an abandonment notice outside (attracting attention from other people) so that if the Tenant is still in the property, they can get new keys from you and you can not be prosecuted for illegal eviction. If you keep the old lock intact you can post an abandonment notice inside the property which the tenant should see if they come in. Do a forum search on abandonment.

If there looks like someone is still in there, you applogise and get legal advice and wish you had done so in the first place.
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Go back to basics. In the sale contract, did V sell:
        a. with vacant possession; or
        b. subject to the tenancy?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hello all I really appreciate all your help and patience with me I guess I am on a steep learning curve. The property was bought subject to an assured shorthold tenancy which was for a term of one year and expired in 25/02/2009. So it looks like if I want vacant possesion I will have to get a possession order, which I understand I can do myself to save costs using the online service on the hmcs website. But do I need to know the names of the people in there, as the origional tenant may have moved out and let someone else in.

Comment

Originally posted by zarnticolz View Post
            But do I need to know the names of the people in there, as the origional tenant may have moved out and let someone else in.
            You seek possession from the tenant named on the tenancy agreement, not any unauthorized occupants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
              by Luke
              I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
              05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
            • Renting rooms
              by Luke
              I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
              I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
              I do not intend to live at the property
              Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
              As its...
              28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
            • Reply to Licensing inspection
              by royw
              Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
              05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
            • Licensing inspection
              by Section20z
              Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
              05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by ash72
              You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
              05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
            • Reply to Am I obliged to....
              by Sydaton
              It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
              05-07-2022, 20:22 PM
            • Am I obliged to....
              by mpppen
              Morning.

A tenant living in a property for the last three years has emailed saying there's no handrail on the stairs and they this is is dangerous. They also say there is a large step down to the shed.

Am I obliged to provide one? The stairs themselves are quite narrow and...
              30-06-2022, 08:47 AM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by Luke
              If I decided to keep one room for myself as my man and only residence and just rented the bedrooms out on a bedroon only basis , would I be able to do that ?
              I have checked my boroughs HMO rules and they only apply if there are at least five people from two different families living at the...
              05-07-2022, 20:21 PM
            • Reply to Licensing inspection
              by Section20z
              When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me .

My tenants have been there eight years and are as pissed off with the new licensing regime as I am. It's a routine inspection, all the boroughs do it but it's the demanding entitled attitude that annoys more.
              The council don't need...
              05-07-2022, 19:59 PM
            • Reply to Inform tenant of rent increase
              by Hudson01
              I had a chat with my tenants and they all agreed to the rise (it was not too much), i backed it up with an email and that was it, the DD was amended and off we go..... easy enough, if you have normal tenants who listen to common sense, if not.........
              05-07-2022, 19:55 PM
            Working...
            X