Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Use Tenant Work Address for Court Papers

Hi

Thought this question must have been asked before so have searched db but cannot find a previous answer. Quick question:-

Tenant left without paying 3 months rent after I served notices. Refuses to provide forwarding address or pay. However I know the work address I have is good. Can I pursue recovery using this address to send letters and serve as I expect legal papers.

Getting the money would be very useful but I am realistic, I now want the CCJ registered on them so as to make it in theory for them to cheat anyone else.

If I get the money it will be a bonus. Can someone guide me. Thanks.
    Last edited by yewtree; 20-10-2009, 17:47 PM. Reason: correct spelling mistake

Originally posted by yewtree View Post

Tenant left without paying 3 months rent after I served notices. Refuses to provide forwarding address or pay. However I know the work address I have is good. Can I pursue recovery using this address to send letters and serve as I expect legal papers.
    You would need to apply to the court for permission to serve the claim by post to a work address. Explain why it's necessary, provide any evidence you might have that defendant works at the address, etc.

The alternative is to hire what's called a Process Server to serve the claim personally, i.e. physically hand the claim to the defendant.

BTW, as the defendant is employed, you have a good chance of getting your money. You can enforce the CCJ with an attachment of earnings (i.e. get money deducted from his wages).

Comment

Sorry been away. Just wanted to say thank you very much for the clear advice. I plan to proceed and see if I can come to some arrangement with person. Assuming not, then approach court. They work for a very reputable company so one hopes that this may help.

Thank you again.
      Last edited by yewtree; 31-10-2009, 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

substituted service at place of employment

mark your letter private and confidential. you dont want to be criticised for harassment of the tenant by trying to blacken his name with his employers

Comment

Originally posted by yewtree View Post
          Sorry been away. Just wanted to say thank you very much for the clear advice. I plan to proceed and see if I can come to some arrangement with person. Assuming not, then approach court. They work for a very reputable company so one hopes that this may help.
          It will certainly help in terms of enforcing a CCJ but that's all. I second quarterday's comment; all written contact must be marked Private & Confidential. If you obtain permission from the court to serve the claim by post to T's work address, they will probably make it a condition that it is marked Private & Confidential.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X