Serving s.21 notice during AST's fixed term- effect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving s.21 notice during AST's fixed term- effect?

Hi all,

I have a really bad DSS tenant and have been forced to seek a claim for posession through the courts. I had issued a section 21 notice within the fixed assured shorthold tenancy agreement seeking possession on the last day of the tenancy. The tenants solicitors are now telling me that the section 21 is invalid, as you cannot seek possession within the fixed term period, even if its the last day. I have read and been told that judges are very particualr about section 21 notices and scrutinise even the smallest mistake.

Has anyone had any experience of this before?

many thanks

Jim

L can serve s.21 Notice at any time after AST starts (as long as any protectable deposit is protected and prescribed information sent to T).

However, the Court cannot make a Possession Order awarding L vacant possession during the AST's fixed term. Is that what they meant?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but what if there was no deposit paid, the tenant was allowed to move in without one?

Obviously common sense is telling me that then that is fine, but it's not always so cut and dried.

Comment

Also, so I don't do it wrong. I have a tenant on a six month assured shorthold tenancy who has now been in since the 1st September 2011, he has only paid one month's rent since being there, he tells me he is leaving to go back to Poland, but I want to hedge my bets...

S21 B Fixed notice to expire on 31st January 2012 - Is this correct?

ps deposit is protected in DPS

Comment

It cannot be used until after 31st January 2012. The S21(1)(b) merely needs to give two months notice from the time it was issued, it is not a notice to quit, it allows you to apply to the court for possession.
          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure the date was correct...hopefully he will leave. Meant to be mailing me the keys.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
              mariner
              AFAIK LCS are just collection Agents for B Gas, not Bailiffs. They have to get B Gas approval for further action.
              Did you/wife receive/request actual B Gas itemised Bill for disputed period?
              Talk to B Gas Debt team.
              You may have to provide evidence of identifiable start/end meter readings
              27-07-2017, 03:48 AM
            • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
              IoIo
              Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
              26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
            • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
              mariner
              IOLO brownie points for providing required info upfront.
              As LL, I normally pay for move in report and T for move out report.
              Joint Ts are equally liable for 1 report.
              2 ways seem avail to you-
              1. Complete a move out condition report in first week of Aug and claim for any T damage...
              26-07-2017, 23:23 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              Dear wright76, I don't have a mental condition, but a learning disability I suffer with Dyslexia and have been psychologically tested and diagnosed with the Dyslexia condition. It seems that everything I've said or tried to do so far here is all negative and I'm doing everything wrong apart from sending...
              26-07-2017, 23:01 PM
            • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              BouwensPB
              I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
              26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
            • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              AndrewDod
              Quite. Explain how you managed to get this tenant in the first place - and via some shady outfit as well. Seems as if all eyes were off all balls....
              26-07-2017, 22:56 PM
            • S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
              BlueMystery
              I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
              26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
            • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
              KTC
              That ....
              26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
            • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
              Paul4321
              Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
              20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
            Working...
            X