letting agency failing to return deposit

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    letting agency failing to return deposit

    hi peoples,

    after 2 years of renting I moved out of the flat I rented from a letting agency in September 2009. The contract I have with them states that they have to return my deposit and any advanced rent with 28 days. it's now been 41 days and still nothing.

    Every time I phone them (which has been numerous times) they NEVER return my calls, and when I do finally manage to get hold of someone I get excuse after excuse....the computer system is down, the paperwork has been delayed, the accounts manager is off and he is the only one who can authorise the cheque. Last week I went in to see them in person as I was sick of the excuses and the lack of interest in returning my calls. I was told that they would process this immediately and send the cheque out on thursday....so, friday...nothing, saturday, nothing..today nothing.

    I'm truly f*****d off now. it's over £2,500 (made up of 2 months up front rent plus a deposit)

    what can I do now? I'm sure my deposit is in a TPS, although I'm not quite sure what that actually means.

    I don't want to threaten them with legal action if it turns out that I can't do anything because they will just laugh and continue to do nothing. Surely they are, at the very least, in breach of contract by failing to fulfil the terms to which I signed up?

    thanks for any advice

    It's the landlord that technically owes you the money (if there is a deposit to be returned), even if you paid it to the agency. Get onto the landlord regarding returning the deposit and politely inform / remind him of this. Paying the deposit to the agent is like paying it to the landlord. Its up to him to then pay you and chase down the agency for it. I would do this before getting involved in the procedures set out in respect of the relevant deposit scheme.

    Unfortunately, when I have had trouble getting money out of an agency it has been as a prelude to them going bust. You may want to inform the landlord that you have tried getting it from the agency with no success. I'm afraid their solvency is his problem.


      Is it not up to the TPS to get the money from the agency and hand it over to the tenant, providing the landlord has no objections? I thought the TPS are supposed to ensure that the agent has the deposits safely kept in a bank account and they can demand the money at any time.


        Originally posted by twisted-pixel View Post

        what can I do now? I'm sure my deposit is in a TPS, although I'm not quite sure what that actually means.
        Contact the three deposit schemes to find out if your deposit is protected.


        Assuming it is, then raise a dispute with the scheme.


        Latest Activity


        • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by Renterthedragon
          I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

          I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

          Approaching the end...
          18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
        • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
          by ash72
          I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

          Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
          18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
        • notifying utility companies of tenant change
          by flyingfreehold
          Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
          18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Hooper
          I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
          18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
        • Single parent renting
          by Dct
          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Hudson01
          This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
          18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Hudson01
          As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
          18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
        • Reply to Let a house to local council
          by ram
          If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

          It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
          18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
        • Let a house to local council
          by r3drum

          Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

          Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
          20-11-2019, 11:58 AM