Renovating 2nd BTL - What flooring/colours do others use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Isn't it called 'a doormat'?
    Surely a Feature Matwell? See post #12 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hlight=matwell.

Leave a comment:

• saf
    replied
    kind of... i actually cut into the laminate, put a chrome finish around it and lay a carpet in the space left over... like you would see in a shop... and no it doesn't look commercial.

i always replace it with a new one when a tenant leaves.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by saf View Post
    lastly, at the front door i always lay a carpet to soak up any water which i make a permanent replaceable feature.
    Isn't it called 'a doormat'?

Leave a comment:

• saf
    replied
    i would suggest NOT putting skirting over laminate. use edging because if you ever need to replace laminate -you will - you'll have to rip off skirting and damage walls in the process.

also, with regards to laminate downstairs. i always use a laminate gap sealer. it's like a mastic you squeeze on the joints before locking them together. does the trick.

lastly, at the front door i always lay a carpet to soak up any water which i make a permanent replaceable feature.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by TenantsLuvMe View Post
    For bathroom extractors, in addition to getting powerful ones, I would also recommend getting them with auto moisture sensing, so you're not relying on the tenant to turn them on/off when/if they remember/feel like it, etc.
    Because these devices are in bathrooms, it is unlikely that any electrician will agree to install a fan which can be turned on and off by the occupant whilst in the room; most are linked to the light switch/pull cord, and come on and off automatically, (often with a time delay built in to disperse steam after occupant has left the room and turned light off) - or, as you suggest, to a moisture sensor.

I would also try to get fans that are as quiet as possible, as the tenant(s) will soon get tired of a noisy fan that they can't turn off.
    If they can't turn it off, then that's good; however, noise can be reduced by having the motor/transformer sited in the void between the floors if possible, and not directly above the bathroom grille.

Consider providing a "house handbook" for every tenant, an keep a hard copy in the property, together with other documents, such as gas/electricity certificates, instruction manuals, as well as where all the services are located, etc, etc. - it saves a lot of time, hassle and money.
    Good idea. Doesn't everyone do this?

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    For bathroom extractors, in addition to getting powerful ones, I would also recommend getting them with auto moisture sensing, so you're not relying on the tenant to turn them on/off when/if they remember/feel like it, etc.

I would also try to get fans that are as quiet as possible, as the tenant(s) will soon get tired of a noisy fan that they can't turn off.

Consider providing a "house handbook" for every tenant, an keep a hard copy in the property, together with other documents, such as gas/electricity certificates, instruction manuals, as well as where all the services are located, etc, etc. - it saves a lot of time, hassle and money.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Smithy100 View Post
    I suppose i shouldnt say unfortunately, but i guess it would be kind of interesting been flown in by helicopter (as she does) to design sofa's, better than been in logisitics anyway
    And they both clearly preferred to being in spelling and grammar, it would seem

Leave a comment:

• Smithy100
    replied
    I suppose i shouldnt say unfortunately, but i guess it would be kind of interesting been flown in by helicopter (as she does) to design sofa's, better than been in logisitics anyway

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Nope unfortunately not
    Why the 'un'?

Leave a comment:

• Smithy100
    replied
    Nope unfortunately not

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Thanks for advertising DFS as my husband works for them
    But are you Linda Barker?

Leave a comment:

• Smithy100
    replied
    Thanks for advertising DFS as my husband works for them

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by fthl View Post
    You need the dfs special.
    Special offer, because it's:
    a. for a limited period (i.e. until infinity only); and
    b. unrepeatable (until tomorrow).

Leave a comment:

• fthl
    replied
    When assembling flat-pack furniture, do not allow your teenage children free rein with an electric screwdriver, especially if they claim to know 'a better way' to do it than the instructions suggest.
    !!

Go for leather settees or dark washable covers, mid-toned neutral colours in carpets, preferably with a slight fleck.
    Go for cheap leather - split/corrected grain or similar. Often more plastic than leather, but that is why it lasts and is easy to clean. The better stuff will get trashed very quickly. You need the dfs special.

Leave a comment:

• asquithea
    replied
    If you are changing the colour of the walls, please FFS use enough coats of paint. My current LL didn't, and every time I dab grease off the kitchen walls some of the paint comes away, leaving blue patches showing through.

Agree with the other comments about Magnolia, and also the bathroom extractor fan; might be worth using one that's driven off the humidity level if you want to avoid mould.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X