Renovating 2nd BTL - What flooring/colours do others use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope unfortunately not

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy100 View Post
      Nope unfortunately not
      Why the 'un'?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I suppose i shouldnt say unfortunately, but i guess it would be kind of interesting been flown in by helicopter (as she does) to design sofa's, better than been in logisitics anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy100 View Post
          I suppose i shouldnt say unfortunately, but i guess it would be kind of interesting been flown in by helicopter (as she does) to design sofa's, better than been in logisitics anyway
          And they both clearly preferred to being in spelling and grammar, it would seem
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

For bathroom extractors, in addition to getting powerful ones, I would also recommend getting them with auto moisture sensing, so you're not relying on the tenant to turn them on/off when/if they remember/feel like it, etc.

I would also try to get fans that are as quiet as possible, as the tenant(s) will soon get tired of a noisy fan that they can't turn off.

Consider providing a "house handbook" for every tenant, an keep a hard copy in the property, together with other documents, such as gas/electricity certificates, instruction manuals, as well as where all the services are located, etc, etc. - it saves a lot of time, hassle and money.

Comment

Originally posted by TenantsLuvMe View Post
              For bathroom extractors, in addition to getting powerful ones, I would also recommend getting them with auto moisture sensing, so you're not relying on the tenant to turn them on/off when/if they remember/feel like it, etc.
              Because these devices are in bathrooms, it is unlikely that any electrician will agree to install a fan which can be turned on and off by the occupant whilst in the room; most are linked to the light switch/pull cord, and come on and off automatically, (often with a time delay built in to disperse steam after occupant has left the room and turned light off) - or, as you suggest, to a moisture sensor.

I would also try to get fans that are as quiet as possible, as the tenant(s) will soon get tired of a noisy fan that they can't turn off.
              If they can't turn it off, then that's good; however, noise can be reduced by having the motor/transformer sited in the void between the floors if possible, and not directly above the bathroom grille.

Consider providing a "house handbook" for every tenant, an keep a hard copy in the property, together with other documents, such as gas/electricity certificates, instruction manuals, as well as where all the services are located, etc, etc. - it saves a lot of time, hassle and money.
              Good idea. Doesn't everyone do this?
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

i would suggest NOT putting skirting over laminate. use edging because if you ever need to replace laminate -you will - you'll have to rip off skirting and damage walls in the process.

also, with regards to laminate downstairs. i always use a laminate gap sealer. it's like a mastic you squeeze on the joints before locking them together. does the trick.

lastly, at the front door i always lay a carpet to soak up any water which i make a permanent replaceable feature.
                Saf
                Music Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by saf View Post
                  lastly, at the front door i always lay a carpet to soak up any water which i make a permanent replaceable feature.
                  Isn't it called 'a doormat'?

Comment

kind of... i actually cut into the laminate, put a chrome finish around it and lay a carpet in the space left over... like you would see in a shop... and no it doesn't look commercial.

i always replace it with a new one when a tenant leaves.
                    Saf
                    Music Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      Isn't it called 'a doormat'?
                      Surely a Feature Matwell? See post #12 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hlight=matwell.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X