When do I have to give Landlord months notice?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When do I have to give Landlord months notice?


    I am in the process of purchasing my first property and am currently renting, my tenancy date runs from the 25th of each month and I am no longer inside the fixed period so I understand I need to give 1 months notice.

    Do I have to give this notice on the rental date of 25th or can I give it at any date during the month (say the 30th)? Its just I dont want to pay any unnecessary rent but I also dont want to find myself homeless if the mortgage fell through!!

    I hope that made some sort of sense, and thank you for any advice anyone can give me!

  • #2
    If you have a good relationship with your landlord I'd suggest you discuss your situation with him explaining that you are going to move to your new house soon but you can't guarantee the exact date etc.

    So basically you give him a full month notice and ensure that if it was delayed a little he'd be fine with it as long as you pay the rent for the time you're in there.

    If you have a bad relationship with him then simply give 1 month notice and hope that all goes well with your house.
    I believe the month notice should be given before the rent is due so you give at least 1 full month notice that you will leave on the last day of a period at the latest. Of course if I'm wrong and expert will correct me on that one.


    • #3
      Thanks Jennifer, we do have a fairly good relationship with him and he's usually quite happy that we dont tend to bother him and keep his flat in a good condition, so maybe I will just have a chat like you say and see what he says.



      Latest Activity


      • Mice in the flat - what to do?
        We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

        Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
        26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
        I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
        26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
      • Tenant application form
        Hi all!

        So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

        Thanks in advance,

        25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
      • Reply to Tenant application form
        You really need two forms.
        a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
        b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
        25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
        25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
      • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

        Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

        Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

        Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
        24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
      • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
        25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
      • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
        Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
        25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
      • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
        Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
        25-07-2017, 22:07 PM