Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pcol

Hi

I just submitted a PCOL (31-12-2009). As soon as I paid I received a date and time for the hearing (08-02-2010). Possession is claimed under Ground 8, 10 and 11 of Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988 as amended by Housing Act 1996.

1. Apart from the date and time of the hearing does the defendant have to do anything, or fill in any paperwork?

2. Do I have to submit any paperwork before the hearing or do anything else?

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

nope they get given the opportunity to file a defence before the date and copies of this will get sent to you.

Take ALL your paperwork with you to court includings copies of AST, letters, deposit protection, gas certs etc - i always take the whole file then if the DJ asks for something I have it to hand.

Comment

Originally posted by rizwany84 View Post
        2. Do I have to submit any paperwork before the hearing or do anything else?
        The way I did it a few month ago, as advised by some LLZ members, was sending Court and tenants a 'bundle' pack with a witness statement that documents the steps that led to the claim, copies of all relevant paperwork inc. AST, statement of rental account, letters/email to and from tenant etc., S8 notice & proof of posting/notice of service; all clearly labelled as exhibit 1,2.... etc., as referred to in the witness statement.

Just make sure, if you do so, to file the pack in time , and also serve tenants their own copies of everything (at least two working days before the hearing)

Good luck with it all!

Comment

Several threads on the same topic have been merged here.

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
            2. Put "Rent arrears. Total accumulated £x at (date). Possession is claimed under Ground 8, 10 and/or 11 of Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988 as amended by Housing Act 1996. Arrears represent x months. Also, persistent delay in rent payments. (I nearly lost a case for a client when the solicitor for the tenant pointed out that this was not mentioned in the claim).
            Hi all - I have just come across this site. Did 2 PCOL's last week and in part 2 I just put in "Total accumulated arrears: £ 1840.00 ,Reason For Possession: Rent of £1,840 remains unpaid and therefore the
            defendant is in excess of two months or eight weeks in arrears." as that is what I was advised by a friend who did a PCOL and successfully got possession.

So your advise is that it needs to be the exact same legal term as used by Lawyers? What should I do? Can I amend this somehow? The hearing is June first week.

Comment

There is no prescribed form of wording in describing the unpaid rent- but AVOID the word 'arrears' as it's wholly inapplicable to a case in which rent is payable weekly/fortnightly/monthly.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Ok. I can avoid it in the future. You think that this could cause problems for my current two claims?

Comment

It might, due to the wording of ground 8.
                  See post #51 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...eference/page2
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

What do you suggest? Is there a way I can modify the PCOL claim? Like I mentioned the court date is in 3 weeks.

Comment

I do not handle litigation, so I do not know. I suppose that you could ask the Court staff.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        I do not handle litigation, so I do not know. I suppose that you could ask the Court staff.
                        Will do and update here. Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renters reform bill
                          by jpkeates
                          Magna Carta doesn't apply to us common people.

Your right to private property is in the Human Rights Act, though.
                          And, ironically, our best protection is likely to be the amount of property that is owned by non-UK citizens, particularly companies.
                          07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                        • Renters reform bill
                          by flyingfreehold
                          i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
                          04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
                        • Reply to Choosing tenants
                          by AndrewDod
                          Can't see any problem with asking for bank statements and landlord references from all of them right now. Also visit them in their current homes if possible. Don't be unfair and lead them on however - explain clearly that they are one of three possible candidates out of 90. Ask for copies of their current...
                          07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                        • Choosing tenants
                          by annam222
                          Hi all,
                          I advertised my flat on OpenRent (for the first time) and received 90 viewing requests in a few days (I have removed the advert now).
                          I set up an automated reply to all enquires with a list of 10 questions, then picked five potential tenants that ticked all the boxes. I called all...
                          07-07-2022, 13:09 PM
                          by AndrewDod
                          It depends. I have been picking people who I know (99.9%) will NOT want to stay in the UK for very long. Long term UK-based renters - way too much risk (of later imposed very low rates of rent, enforced property sales from some later lunatic government...).

Length of stay is a relatively...
                          07-07-2022, 13:39 PM
                          by Hudson01
                          Very difficult indeed and not a big surprise given the chaos that is currently the PRS. They of course have to pass all the standard checks on their salary and references, but when that is a given............. i pick on ' gut feeling ', no science at all ! I meet lots of '' wrong unsv'' in my job so...
                          07-07-2022, 13:34 PM
                          by slopemaster
                          try and get a feel for who will stay longest?
                          07-07-2022, 13:23 PM
                        • Reply to Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                          by A.Renter
                          I'm not sure specifically... something about removing the old roof and replacing it with a modern one. The entire building is covered in scaffolding which is still not completed after 2+ weeks of the workmen building it. Then once my block is done they'll be taking it down and moving on to the 2nd one...
                          07-07-2022, 12:07 PM
                        • Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                          by A.Renter
                          I started renting a ‘studio apartment’ (i.e. a bedsit) in January this year in a three-storey 1930s block – residents are a mix of renters and leaseholders. I am considering asking for rent reduction due to two main issues:
                          1. Upon moving in I noticed that there is no way to turn off the radiator, as
                          06-07-2022, 16:41 PM
                        • Reply to Evicted and left a few bits
                          by DoricPixie
                          Thank you.
                          07-07-2022, 12:07 PM
                        Working...
                        X