Increasing borrowing against property after letting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing borrowing against property after letting?

May I trouble you with a quick question on debt planning?

I learnt that a person letting a property may borrow up to the value of the property (when it is first let) and offset any interest against the income.

- If somebody is only partly mortaged, can additional borrowing be taken up to this value of the property no matter what borrowing will be used for?

- Does additional borrowing have to be taken before it is first let? And if so what happens if letting ceases, additional borrowing is taken, and it is let again say a year later?

Cheers

Not quite! Since the credit crunch the banks have started lending again but they tend to require a 25% deposit. Thus if you managed to remortgage, you could only do so up to 75% if the current value of your BTL property. Some clever mortgage broker may be able to do better than this, so it is these people you should be approaching.
    You shaould be able to do this at any time to obtain additional funds if the value and the above restrictions hold up. The money borrowed can be used for anything. My next door neighbours (before the credit crunch) transferred their mortgage on one of their BTLs to enable them to take their family on holiday. Now they are in negative equity but the rent still pays the mortgage with an excess to pay for repairs, insurance and voids.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Termination of Tenancy
      janeygee
      Hi,
      looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
      I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
      15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
    • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
      DPT57
      As JPK says, let them leave before pressing some of the these issues. If you haven't served a proper s21 notice then they could make your life very difficult and make you wait before giving up possession....
      16-01-2018, 19:14 PM
    • Periodic S21
      royesjaffia
      Good Day All,
      I am a new landlord and as such decided to not undertake the task of all the nuances of letting so I hired a letting agency.

Things went smoothly until I wanted the tenant to leave. The date the tenant was to leave was the 13th of January. To date, he still has not left...
      15-01-2018, 15:14 PM
    • Reply to Periodic S21
      DPT57
      Serve notice yourself and then assuming you instructed the Agent to serve notice on the tenant and they failed to do so, cancel the contract with them and report their incompetence to whichever redress scheme they are part of....
      16-01-2018, 18:57 PM
    • Take agent or inventory company to court?
      Spencerjdb
      Summary:
      Who is responsible for keys if they break 3hrs into tenancy by bending (poor metal) and later proven the 2nd copy of key I had was stiff (and lock has a "knack" and a "fraction") and was later given agency copy of keys which were better than my "stiff keys".
      16-01-2018, 17:05 PM
    • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
      Wannadonnadoodah
      So with the 2 hour clean you'll be taking court action over a dirty side of a bed and a key? Last time I had a key cut it was less than a fiver and it sounds like a 3 minute cleaning job to do down the side of the bed. It really does feel like a massive over reaction. Taking this into consideration...
      16-01-2018, 18:40 PM
    • Notice period when subletting
      peacelily
      A bit of background to explain the situation- I am currently subletting a room from a tenant of a flat who is renting from a landlord.

I have now given my notice to move out.

Our original agreement (only by email, nothing signed or in writing) stated that the tenant would...
      16-01-2018, 18:10 PM
      Spencerjdb
      I want to take court action if I have to pay for a cleaner, because those responsible for the property will not.
      I want to take court action as the agency I'm sure will take it from my deposit if I do not pay for a 2nd key to be cut.

I'm not a slave, nor a cleaner, nor do I have any...
      16-01-2018, 17:49 PM
      Spencerjdb
      Inventory was done Friday and given to me today and I have raised the points (sorry, this is further down in my lengthy post). The agent said that they've gotten inventory company to pay for a 2hr clean tomorrow but that they won't be cleaning down side of bed unless I travel up there and move the bed......
      16-01-2018, 17:47 PM
      leaseholder64
      You are responsible for the cleaning, as you should have checked the inventory when it was made. It will now be very difficult to prove that it was wrong.

I find it very difficult to believe there is a market in such obviously sub-standard key blanks, but I would guess the person who commissioned...
      16-01-2018, 17:42 PM
    Working...
    X