Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant with CCJ

Hello

I've a prospective tenant who'd been turned down from a major high street agency. He'd admitted he'd a CCJ for £700 but has produced this year's bank statements showing previous rent paid, full id, previous evidence of address, employees ref with acceptable salary and banker's draft for deposit and 1st month's rent.

Question is would you accept him. Have you taken on tenants with CCJs in the past? What was your experience?

Does he still owe the 700 pounds?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Yes. The judgement was some time ago and I've advised in any event that he liaises with the creditor.

The property is well presented but in not such a popular area, has been vacant for a couple of months and naturally keen to get it occupied as costs are mounting.

Comment

Originally posted by John Duff View Post
        The judgement was some time ago and I've advised in any event that he liaises with the creditor.
        On Experian Credit Checks, they usually display the following info. regarding CCJ's, in the 'Public Information' section of the credit check report: Date, Amount, Type, Court Name, Case Number.
        The 'Type' field typically states "Judgement" if the debtor has not paid, or "Satisfied" if debtor has paid CCJ, or it has been set aside for some reason.

The only circumstances that I would accept a potential tenant with a CCJ, would be if they had proof that the CCJ had been paid (or 'Satisfied'). Whilst it may be only one factor during the tenant application process, a proven payment record and reponsibility for past debt is an important one, IMHO.

The property is well presented but in not such a popular area, has been vacant for a couple of months and naturally keen to get it occupied as costs are mounting.
        Don't be in a rush to make a costly mistake. Increase your marketing efforts and get the best possible tenant you can find.
        The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Yes. The judgement was some time ago
          So despite the fact that apparently he's now financially solvent he's made no effort to pay off this debt. That should tell you something about him as an individual...

naturally keen to get it occupied as costs are mounting.
          Which is nothing compared to the costs you'll face repossessing the property if you end up with it occupied and still no rent coming in... I'd be very wary of this one if I were you.

Comment

I was in the same position and accepted a tenant with a CCJ. I'm now trying to evict them and recover 2 months rent. Sad as it is (I'm always one for seeing the best in people and giving them a chance), I'd be very hesitant to accept someone with a CCJ again. Could you ask them to provide a guarantor?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X