When can non-paying tenant be removed forcibly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can non-paying tenant be removed forcibly?

This is a post I found on a newsgroup, the answers provided were all contradictory, can anybody here provide an answer ?

A friend of mine finds himself in an unpleasant situation. Two or three
    months ago, he rented out a couple of rooms in his house to a tenant
    for a fixed period of 2 weeks. He got the money in advance for that
    period of time, but since then the tenants have stayed in the property
    (making sure that not all of them are out of the property at the same
    time) and have not paid a penny in rent. The tenants are a family of
    husband & wife and two children.

I am well aware that tenancy agreements are a complex area of law, with
    the correct course of action depending on a detail in the contract, but
    could someone answer the following questions, or point me to a good
    source for answers:

- generally, under what circumstances can the tenants be ejected (using
    reasonable force) without a court order?

- generally, how long would it take between applying for an order and
    the eviction of the tenants, and can this be expedited? Assume that the
    tenants will string it out to the last.

They would appear to be lodgers not tenants and could be removed using reasonable force. I don't have a more authoritative source than the below I'm afraid as to the definition between tenant/lodger. (1.2) certainly gives a broader interpretation of a lodger than is usually suggested.

http://odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1151901

Paragraph 3 (1.2)

"If you grant a tenancy but are a "resident landlord", then the tenancy will not be an assured or shorthold tenancy. This rule generally applies to converted houses. So if your only or main home is a flat in a building which has been converted into flats and you then let another flat in that same building, the arrangement will not be an assured or shorthold tenancy. You do not need to share any accommodation with the occupier to be held to be a resident landlord. It is enough that you live in the same building."

Comment

You have described lodgers

You should view lodgers as merely paying guests. When the owner decides that the invitation is at an end, then the lodgers must leave. No formal notice is required. It's up to the owner to decide the length of notice (if any is given at all!).

If the owner thinks the situation could get nasty - change the locks.

Be firm.

Comment

if they had keys to their own room to which they have exclusive use 0 would they still be lodgers ? I am not so sure they would.

Zoe

Comment

Don't ever give bedroom keys to lodgers.

Have you read my thread entitled "CAB gave lodger dodgy advice"?

Comment

Originally posted by zoe
            if they had keys to their own room to which they have exclusive use 0 would they still be lodgers ? I am not so sure they would.

Zoe
            I don't believe so as they would still have only shared access to other facilities, they would need exclusive access to a complete dwelling.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
              20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              jpkeates
              We can trade with anyone.
              What matters is the terms we trade on.

Currently we're beyond screwed.
              I wanted more for my children than being a pale version of a comic relief video....
              20-07-2017, 20:31 PM
              JK0
              Happy days! We can trade with the EU after Brexit then!...
              20-07-2017, 20:24 PM
              jpkeates
              That's two questions.

First, no.
              Second, no.

The EU trades with China on the basis that no personal data is migrated, same as the USA....
              20-07-2017, 20:23 PM
              JK0
              20-07-2017, 20:17 PM
              JK0
              So the EU requires anyone it trades with at the moment to comply with all the laws the EU complies with? Erm, doesn't most stuff come from China nowadays?...
              20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
            • RGI and housing benefit
              cdbe
              Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to letting. My situation is:

Couple view house, like it etc, seem OK to me. She's full time employed, he's currently unemployed but looking to start his own business as a tattoo artist. Still ok-ish. They pay me £100 holding deposit and £100 referencing...
              18-07-2017, 00:08 AM
            • Reply to RGI and housing benefit
              cdbe
              Thanks. I've binned them off. The ref co said what she earns won't cover it. TBH I don't know why I tried. I've offered her the holding deposit in full plus whatever I get back from uklandlord referencing.co (I paid them £140 - 110 for one reference and 1 year RGI and 30 for second reference, so basically...
              20-07-2017, 19:48 PM
            • Resident Landlord tenancy
              Rocky1001
              Hi all, need some advice please.

I'm in the process of letting my flat out but am struggling to work out exactly what type of tenancy I should be using, from my research I believe it should be a form of Excluded resident landlord tenancy but I can't seem to find a suitable template as...
              10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
            • Reply to Resident Landlord tenancy
              Rocky1001
              Hi, thanks for that, so would it make a difference if I offer shared use of the main bathroom and not just limit the tenant to their en-suite in their self contained section?
              Also can I ask recommendation regarding best way of handling council tax?

I assume their are existing templates...
              20-07-2017, 17:40 PM
            Working...
            X