Tenant rights after ten years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant rights after ten years

I'd appreciate if anybody could help me on this one. Does a tenant in an assured shorthold have any special rights after being a tenant for ten years? Thanks in advance.

No. For what fixed-term was it granted and from when?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Special rights? No.

I'm interested to know what special/additional rights you are thinking of.

Comment

From the tone of your post, Poppy, I guess you're a landlord.

Well, to answer your question, as just an example, a friend told me that after ten years even in an assured shorthold, the full deposit has to be returned if the tenant is evicted regardless of the state of original furnishings/carpets. Of course this may be untrue. That's why I posted - to see if anybody on here has the legal knowledge to inform me about any changes in a tenant's rights in assured shorthold after ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          No. For what fixed-term was it granted and from when?

It's yearly renewed.

Comment

There is no reason why you should have to return the whole deposit to the tenant simply because he had been there a long time.

However, the deposit should have been protected in a scheme (by LL) within 14 days of the first renewal of the AST after April 6th 2007. Was it?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

You may have had certain "special" rights (if you want to call them that) if your tenancy was entered into for a term of more than 7 years (but not simply allowed to renew yearly for the same period), but that's different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                However, the deposit should have been protected in a scheme (by LL) within 14 days of the first renewal of the AST after April 6th 2007. Was it?
                Or of every renewal?
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendergast View Post
                  From the tone of your post, Poppy, I guess you're a landlord.

Well, to answer your question, as just an example, a friend told me that after ten years even in an assured shorthold, the full deposit has to be returned if the tenant is evicted regardless of the state of original furnishings/carpets. Of course this may be untrue. That's why I posted - to see if anybody on here has the legal knowledge to inform me about any changes in a tenant's rights in assured shorthold after ten years.
                  This sounds like an assumption based on the lifespan of things such as carpets/soft furnishings; the logic being that a carpet would have to replaced after ten years fair wear and tear and T is not liable for fair wear and tear. But there are many many other things which would not be worn out after 10 years, such as 'hard' furnishings and floor coverings, toilets and other sanitaryware, etc. Deposit can also be used to cover unpaid rent.

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
                    You may have had certain "special" rights (if you want to call them that) if your tenancy was entered into for a term of more than 7 years (but not simply allowed to renew yearly for the same period), but that's different discussion.
                    Dominic is probably referring to the rule that, as from 2003, a lease for >7yrs. needs to be registered at HMLR.
                    However, T's rights under such lease are generally no different than if it had been unregistrable (= for 7yrs. or less).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      Dominic is probably referring to the rule that, as from 2003, a lease for >7yrs. needs to be registered at HMLR.
                      However, T's rights under such lease are generally no different than if it had been unregistrable (= for 7yrs. or less).
                      ...and it would have to be made by deed.... meaning the time bar limitation for bringing proceedings for breach of the lease is 12, instead of the usual 6 years.....

....but you can create any tenancy by deed if you wish, you are only required to do so (to create a valid interest in land) if it is for a term of more than 3 yrs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                        Gordonmrln
                        I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                        20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                        Gordonmrln
                        Hi there, I was wondering if anyone can help me yet again, I've just got off the phone with the debt collecting agency and I am physically shaking, I was so angry and upset I just had to come and try get some help. As You are aware I had to send them some documentation regarding my late wife's death....
                        26-07-2017, 14:26 PM
                      • Wanting/needing to leave early
                        geologist
                        I am in England and currently on a periodic tenancy 5+ years. This week I should have confirmation that I have a new AST in another country one the landlord provides a good enough reference (which they should do....I have been a great tenant). The landlord knows I am wanting to move as he, earlier this...
                        26-07-2017, 08:36 AM
                      • Reply to Wanting/needing to leave early
                        mk1fan
                        OP, I can see you point but that doesn't give you any entitlement.

Renting is a funny circumstance as it is the occupier's home but the owner's business asset.

You say you are relocating. Would you relocate if your new employer said they would only make their mind up to employ...
                        26-07-2017, 14:18 PM
                      • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                        purpleangel
                        Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
                        26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
                      • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                        Wannadonnadoodah
                        I decided not to let to a family based on the car they turned up in. Had made my decision before they had even turned the engine off....
                        26-07-2017, 14:12 PM
                      • Reply to Wanting/needing to leave early
                        jpkeates
                        The contract term is there for a reason - to allow access to override the general principle of quiet enjoyment.
                        It's not a question of priority (although it would be more helpful if the terms of access were clearer - or not, lots of contracts consent to viewings in the last month of the tenancy,...
                        26-07-2017, 14:09 PM
                      • Mice in the flat - what to do?
                        JP23
                        We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                        26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                      • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
                        jpkeates
                        That isn't an actual law - it's Shelter's view of the duties of a landlord.
                        It isn't as black and white as that - life would be simpler if it was.

Your view that there have been mice in the property before isn't any evidence that they were there when you moved in.
                        If the neighbours...
                        26-07-2017, 14:04 PM
                      • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
                        JP23
                        This is the most helpful response, thank you....
                        26-07-2017, 13:51 PM
                      Working...
                      X