Can a deposit be used by LL to pay unpaid utility bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a deposit be used by LL to pay unpaid utility bills?

My tenancy agreement says:

The Deposit shall be security for the Landlord for....
    any unpaid accounts for utility charges. The Landlord shall be entitled to discharge such accounts on behalf of the tenant.

and

The Deposit shall not be returned until the landlord has received satisfactory proof that all utility charges have been fully paid by the tenant.

I didn't think that landlords were responsible for a tenant's unpaid bills? So is a LL really allowed to deduct from the deposit to pay them?

Any relationship between you and utility suppliers is nothing to do with the landlord.

In addition, you don't have to show proof of the state of this relationship to your landlord to get your deposit back, so don't.

If your landlord makes a deduction in this respect, dispute it with the deposit scheme you're with to get it back.

Comment

And of course as we all know the utilities companies have never ever made any mistakes with their billing.
      I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan View Post
        I didn't think that landlords were responsible for a tenant's unpaid bills? So is a LL really allowed to deduct from the deposit to pay them?
        Presumably this would only be an issue if you were intending to default on your utility bills... if you aren't, then why are you concerned about the clause; if you are, then I have no sympathy with you!

Comment

So in a situation where a tenant (or ex-tenant) has a dispute with the utility company over a bill that the tenant believes is incorrect, it’s OK for the landlord to come along and pay the bill from the deposit?
          I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
            So in a situation where a tenant (or ex-tenant) has a dispute with the utility company over a bill that the tenant believes is incorrect, it’s OK for the landlord to come along and pay the bill from the deposit?
            No, fair enough...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              Presumably this would only be an issue if you were intending to default on your utility bills... if you aren't, then why are you concerned about the clause; if you are, then I have no sympathy with you!
              Don't worry Eric, I was just curious...

Comment

The advice from the National Landlords Association and my solicitor is that a landlord is perfectly within his rights to pay outstanding utility bills from a deposit. This is frequently written into tenancy agreements anyway, and it's a disgrace how many tenants leave unpaid bills at rented properties and disappear, thinking they can get away with it. Why else would Thames Water propose, in the recent review of water metering charges, that landlords should be held responsible for any bills at a property? Thames Water clearly have a problem with unpaid bills, and the recent revelation that criminals, including people with CCJs against them, owe the courts £1.3 billion, just shows how many people are evading their responsibilities.

As a landlord I would pay the bill, and if the tenant has a problem, they can sue me. If the tenant genuinely thinks the bill is wrong, they can continue to take it up with the utility company and get a credit back later. However it's all too easy for someone to say "the bill's wrong" with no justification, just to try and avoid paying the bill. I say shame on such people.

Comment

As agents this clause is added to the agreement re the utilities as you would be surprised how many tenants vacate the property without settling their final bill.

The agent or landlord will take meter readings prior to you entering the property and should mark these on the inventory. On exiting the property it is your responsibility to take the final reading and pay prior to vacating. Unless you have provided proof of your forwarding address to continue on your payment plan.

Yes utility companys do on a regular basis get things wrong, however if it were to get to a stage where the tenant hadnt paid any (which does happen) we reserve the right to deduct from the deposit as otherwise the ll will be liable for reconnection charges etc.

If you get to a stage where you are unhappy about the service provider you use ask permission from ll/agent to change.

The easiest way to ensure that you are covered when you vacate is to take all your paid bills to the ll/agent when you return your keys.

Comment

Matchmade,

Did you correspond directly with the NLA or is the bit about taking unpaid utilities from a deposit on their website. Would be really grateful if you could let me know. I'm a landlord in a similar situation.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwalls View Post
                      Matchmade,

Did you correspond directly with the NLA or is the bit about taking unpaid utilities from a deposit on their website. Would be really grateful if you could let me know. I'm a landlord in a similar situation.

Thank you
                      Greenwalls, Matchmade refers to advice given, which may not actually be written down.

I think the closest you will find to this in the NLA bumf is in their Landlord Development Manual, section 3.3.2 on legitimate witholding of part or all of deposit. It makes mention of "failure of the tenant to arry out obligations set out in the tenancy agreement such as cleaning" as well as "outstanding debts attached to the property". If tenant has left without paying the water bill attached to the property, then it is legit to use the deposit to cover that. By extension, if tenant has not carried out obligation to pay all utility bills, deposit can be used to cover that.

I find that tenants who have been trouble are the ones who leave unpaid bills. There's usually dilapidation, unpaid rent etc., which would have eaten into the deposit anyway. I've not attempted to pay such outstanding bills, and have usually just returned the letters to the relevant authority and informed them of the ex-tenant's departure, give a forwarding address (if I discover one), and let them get on with the chase. Usually when a new tenant moves in, the utility companies want to see the new AST etc.etc. before opening an account for the new T.

Strangely enough, when I report a departure, some will ask for the AST of the departed tenant-in their words-"to prove when the T left". I've stopped trying to educate them about the error of that thinking!!

Comment

How realistic is it for tenants to pay their utilities, and get proof of it on their leaving day?

Until they physically leave (and they don't have to until midnight) the final reading can not be taken. Now a tenant may be willing to phone the utility company, give them the reading and ask if they can pay by debit/credit card - but is that a reasonable thing to request? We have all 'moved', we know the hassle factor, and imposing a pointless obligation on the tenant is unfair (imho).

The contract for utilities is between tenant and utility company - let them sort it out between themselves.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                          by DoricPixie
                          Another vote for sell unless being a landlord is something you are particularly interested in doing. Yes, you can use a letting agency to manage the lets but ultimately the buck stops with you and in my experience a lot of letting agencies out there are pretty crap. Plus as a higher rate tax payer...
                          25-01-2022, 16:19 PM
                        • Inherited a few rentals
                          by Landlord7289
                          Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                          25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                        • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                          by Hudson01
                          Ok before you even consider what the agent did or did not do you need to get a handle on exactly what the tenancy says, if the s21 was valid and what the intentions of YOUR tenant are, you need them out asap, a lot of agents are utterly useless, are you located far away from the property and is that...
                          25-01-2022, 15:58 PM
                        • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                          by Beeble
                          We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                          25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                        • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                          by jpkeates
                          The work that they do would effectively be rent.
                          But the letting rules for agricultural workers are different - but that's about the extent of my knowledge.
                          25-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                        • Rent a Room scheme
                          by lgr001
                          I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                          24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
                          by jpkeates
                          Unless you've always wanted to be a landlord, I'd sell them and use the money to do something different.

Being a landlord at some distance is not easy, and being a landlord isn't all gravy either.
                          It's not something to do just because an opportunity comes up.
                          25-01-2022, 15:09 PM
                          by jpucng62
                          Sell them.

As a 40% tax payer you will be hit hard by tax; managing properties from afar is difficult and expensive; as IHT will have been paid there will be no CGT if you sell quickly; land lording is not something you can learn overnight & there are a multitude of pitfalls.
                          25-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                          by lgr001
                          Just as an afterthought... Plan B: Would I be allowed to have someone stay in the mobile home rent free in return for helping me about the farm? (I have 10 acres which needs a lot of up keep in the summer) They would shower and wash and possibly cook in the main home but just sleep and use the lounge...
                          25-01-2022, 14:55 PM
                          by lgr001
                          Thanks everyone. I will take your advice and not bother. The mobile home is on my property and the door is about 10ft away from my door but it has shower, toilet etc. I really don't think it's worth all the bother especially as I have an extremely difficult neighbour who would report me at the drop...
                          25-01-2022, 14:48 PM
                        Working...
                        X