Sending an email as notice to end tenancy, some advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending an email as notice to end tenancy, some advice needed.

My TA ran out at the weekend but im away from the flat and I admit I owe 2 months rent due to losing job and having problems with LHA claim.

I am a nervous person and have no one to help me by going round and am worried to phone up and get interrogated etc.

I plan to email the agency since their email address is on the website and say I want to move out as soon as possible(they claimed last time they contacted me a month ago they had already issued notice on me)

I was going to say that I do plan to pay off the arrears but it may take a while since I am moving out of area, I also plan to give them my forwarding address but worried they will contact my new landlord and cause problems(as hes letting me move in just paying a weeks rent in advance and no deposit and is willing to wait a month for the cash by which time I will have a student loan and plan to use that to pay off my rent arrears too, was thinking of putting this on the email but thought if the money is late they may think im putting off paying it.

So even though the tenancy ended it has the standard 2 months notice but apparantly they issued notice to me about 6 weeks ago and I plan to move out around when they want me to anyway.

Just dont want them to use the email against me should they not decide to wait and take me to court.

It is very unlikely that an agency would contact your new landlord - most of them struggle to keep up with their existing tenants, let alone make life difficult* for the old ones. Think of it from their perspective. If they told tales to your new landlord before you moved out and he said 'You can't live here any more', you might be tempted to stay put, which would be even more hassle for them. (Have you signed a tenancy agreement with your new landlord, by the way?)

*However, the risk of them doing that is greater if you just do a runner.

My advice would be to advise them you are moving out (if you owe them that much rent they will probably be glad) and give them your forwarding address with a commitment to repay the rent you ow wehn your loan come sin (give a date). That is more likely to stop them rushing off and suing you for the money. They will probably be able to keep your deposit towards the rent - had you allowed for them doing that?

Just a thought - if you use your loan to pay the arrears for your previous tenancy, how will you live until the next term's loan arrives? The last thing you want is to get into further arrears.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Well I have already saved £100 selling old dvds and a phone I got on contract almost a year ago that I never used and was still sealed and listed another 90 dvds(including a boxset that goes for £80 on HMV website and £60 on ebay and asking £25 so it should sell! and some rare old games that sell on ebay for £15-£40 each, and went home to parents and found some others that I didnt realise were rare and go for again about £20-£40 each, hopefully I will make enough to pay off the rent anyway.

I forgot about the deposit, I was thinking of asking them to keep it as part payment but was worried in case they claim I have damaged the flat, I have a shower that has never worked since I moved in so is brand new and I could never get the boiler working after I turned it off for a week when visiting family just after when I moved in and the flat has damp(which was mentioned on contract but now have black marks where upstairs flat is)

I was also worried about the furniture as its my own which I purchased(used from cheap charity place) and was thinking of telling them to keep it for free so they can use it for next tenant but was worried they would charge me storage or removal fees.

I can get a hardship loan from the university when I start(not until 4 weeks have passed though) of £500-£2000 which should clear my debts.

Comment

Why on earth did you not tell the LL that the boiler had stopped working? He is legally obliged to get it fixed. If he could prove you had tampered with it (although I am not syaing you did), you may be liable to pay for a repair but if it just failed to work after a break, that's his responsibility.

If as a consequence of not telling him, there is condensation mould, you may well be exected to pay for its treatment. Google 'black mould treatments' and see if there is a product you can use yourself to get it off. Be careful because the spores can be toxic. If you are asthmatic or if it is really bad, you would be advised to leave it - but be prepared for a bill.

Good luck with the ebay sales!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Why on earth did you not tell the LL that the boiler had stopped working? He is legally obliged to get it fixed. If he could prove you had tampered with it (although I am not syaing you did), you may be liable to pay for a repair but if it just failed to work after a break, that's his responsibility.

If as a consequence of not telling him, there is condensation mould, you may well be exected to pay for its treatment. Google 'black mould treatments' and see if there is a product you can use yourself to get it off. Be careful because the spores can be toxic. If you are asthmatic or if it is really bad, you would be advised to leave it - but be prepared for a bill.

Good luck with the ebay sales!
          I dont know ifs its broken or I just cant use it, it is more of a water heater than boiler I think as the heating is electric and the shower is electric(but seems to be getting no power as the light doesnt turn on when flicking the switch outside)

The water heater just plugs in and has a dial but no matter what setting no hot water comes on.

I just realised too that I have about £60 credit in the card meter which I purchased off my credit card just before the problems but as I am away at friends so often I have only used about £30 in 3 months(as £90 in credit before since I put a lot on as the flat was freezing)

As for the damp its not mine as its on the ceiling of the bedroom below the upstairs neighbours shower and there was damp when I moved in that was painted over.

Comment

Was there a detailed inventory which you signed when you moved in?

If not, the LL will struggle to claim anything back from your deposit for damage.

If the mould is due to the flat above, then equally, it is not your liability. However, if your flat has been kept at a freezing cold temperature, that may well have contributed to the mould.

Comment

Well the flat is freezing cold even if both heaters are on in both rooms full blast(I once had them on for 2 days straight maximum and still was shivering) and whenever my friend came round he always wore a jacket and mentioned how freezing he was, every other flat was hot in the building but none of the others had damp.

The original damp was mentioned on the inventory as "bubbling" and the entire flat looks spotless apart from the carpet which looks like it has wear and tear, no dirt but marks where the furniture has been.

The kitchen looks brand new still since I rarely used cooker apart from boiling pasta in a pan and only once used the oven, the shower has never been used and even though I had a bedroom I put the bed in the living room since the bedroom was cramped even though all the furniture it had was 2 wardrobes and nothing else since it had patio like doors between the bedroom and living room so nowhere to put bed.

Comment

From what you have said, I think you would be advised to dispute any attempt by the LL to keep your deposit for damages; only allow it to be put towards the rent arrears. Make sure you have this in writing, so that he does not then try to sue you for damage as well.

Presumably the deposit is protected in a scheme?

Comment

I can't remember offhand but I think it said something in the TA about it being protected but I dont think I was given anything apart form that.

I am a non smoker and only rarely drink so there is no stains on the carpet bar when I spilt a bit of chilli sauce twice and both times it wiped off no problems.

From what I can tell its just minor marks in carpet where furniture is and not full dents.

Comment

If your depsoit was protected you should have recieved details from the LL or the agent of the scheme it was put in and how to claim it back at the end of the tenancy.

If they have not protected it, or even if they have but have failed to suopply you with the prescribed information, you could have a claim against them for 3x the deposit (the penalty for non-compliance with a scheme). There are 3 schemes (DPS, TDS and Mydeposits); check with each of them whether a deposit is registered in your name. If none of them has it, come back to the forum for further advice.

Comment

If as a consequence of not telling him, there is condensation mould, you may well be exected to pay for its treatment. Google 'black mould
                      MTG - I do hope that is a misspelling of "Expected", not "Executed"....

Comment

Originally posted by MrAgent View Post
                        MTG - I do hope that is a misspelling of "Expected", not "Executed"....
                        Ha! Freudian slip. I hate mould.

Comment

Ha! Freudian slip. I hate mould.
                          Aha- have they broken the mould, then?
                          That's the trouble with Freudian slips; they're never comfortable to wear. Unlike one's incest and pants.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X