Overcrowding in a shared house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcrowding in a shared house

I live in a 10 bedroom shared house where each room has an individual tenancy agreement with the landlord arranged through an estate agent. Recently a small family compromising 2 adults and a child ~4 years of age have moved into a small room with a double bed, with an approximate size of 2.5 double beds in floor space. Is it legal for this room to have been let to the tenants in this way? I have absolutely nothing against the tenants but i am concerned about the house becoming overcrowded, and also for the child living in such a small area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sounds like it is overcrowded according to this...

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...s/overcrowding

If you're considering reporting it, personally I would first contact the council, giving no names, to sound out the possible repercussions. You don't want these people to end up worse off than they are now, perhaps in a grotty b&b if the council were forced to rehouse them temporarily. Presumably your house has reasonable-sized communal areas and a kitchen, possibly even a garden? This could potentially be better for the child than having their own bedroom but nowhere else to play and eating take away food?

Comment

Thank you, so according to Shelter the landlord could be prosecuted by the council and ultimately the tenants could be evicted...although as you suggest i should ask the council hypothetically to gain a better insight.

I agree with your comments, it is a delicate situation and whilst i may have to compromise on living space i am more than willing to do so providing the situation remains reasonable. The house was formerly a student only house and has recently been opened to all. When this change occurred i became worried about prospective tenants, and although i did not expect a family to move in it hopefully shouldn't be too disruptive to my sleeping pattern!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X