Working abroad

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Working abroad

    I'm to take a job abroad, so my 2 houses (investments) and the flat I live in in Manchester, I'll give to agents to look after and rent out.

    Is anyone else living abroad and doing this? I haven't done this before and would appreciate any advice or tips, anything I should make sure I do/do not do, apologies if I've missed a post on this very topic.

    hope to hear from you, kind regards

  • #2
    You will need to obtain exemption by completing a NRL1 form from the HMRC overseas division (previously known as FICO).

    You should be able to find details on the home page of this site, where there is a ton of good information. Failing that contact your local tax office who will point you in the right direction.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    • #3
      Many thanks Paul.


      Latest Activity


      • Help re flatsharing legal position!
        Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
        24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
        I'd find somewhere else and move out.
        Let your friend deal with the problem.

        If your flatmate threatens you or to destroy your goods, report them to the police (call into the station and put it on record - you might get lucky).
        If they actually do any damage, call the police...
        24-07-2017, 14:42 PM
      • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

        Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

        Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

        Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
        24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
      • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        If you served a s21 notice, it isn't valid because the deposit wasn't protected.
        You need to "return" the deposit in full to the tenant (or agree to use it in lieu of rent, or agree the damage) before you can serve notice under s21.

        Your tentants can sue you for a penalty...
        24-07-2017, 14:37 PM
      • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
        Many thanks. It is only a verbal agreement (like so many flatsharing agreements are) with two months notice either way and that I would be given certain storage (some of which the Hungarian has nabbed), that I would be able to work from home, get a cleaner and bring items into the flat ie television...
        24-07-2017, 13:56 PM
      • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
        The only thing that matters is your contract. What contract do YOU have (not what Emma has signed with someone else)?
        24-07-2017, 13:43 PM
      • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        Unfortunately (I know its not going to be what you want to hear), I suggest you will have to chalk this one up to experience. Without an inventory you are up the proverbial without a paddle I'm afraid. In the grand scheme of things the damage you have described is very slight (bar perhaps the carpet)...
        24-07-2017, 13:04 PM
      • Landlord: When will I get a bailiff date?
        I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, but for some reason I am unable to search the forum as it's not bringing up any results.

        I know the eviction date will vary depending how busy the local courts are. My local court has indicated 6-8 weeks.

        My solicitor submitted a...
        24-07-2017, 12:04 PM
      • Tenant's energy debt.
        I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
        20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
      • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
        The deemed contract is with the owner or occupier and commences when gas is supplied.

        There's no obvious hierarchy of owner/occupier and, while there are references elsewhere to the owner being liable for things when the property is unoccupied, that isn't reflected in the deemed contract...
        24-07-2017, 11:47 AM