Dilemma with LBA - who to send it to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma with LBA - who to send it to?

Two original T - one male and one female, unrelated, friends, not in a relationship - moved in with a joint TA. Male T put down the whole deposit.

The original female T left at 8 months into a 12month joint TA, she recommended and put in new female T (with her partner) in for the final 3 months. No new TA was drawn up, or check-in conducted. The new female T left with no forwarding address and rent arrears.

At 12month the original male T moved out.

The property has been assessed by various contractors and quotes have been given. Some work has been done (Cleaning, Painting, some repairs). Total cost to restore is about £9k.

I will be sending an LBA to the original male T.

Do I have grounds to send the LBA to the original female on the basis she stayed there for 8months, recommended and put in the new female T, and requested to leave mid joint-tenancy?

The LBA will have the identical breakdown of costs for both original T. Clearly I can't proportion these out, should I?

Thanks!

Based on the limited info provided, your action/claim can only be against those people named on the tenancy agreement. Whether or not, or to what degree, the original female T who vacated at 8 months might be held liable may well depend on exactly what you said/agreed to at that time and what proof you have of the arrangements/conditions of her release.
    The comments given here are provided free of charge and inevitably without sight or knowledge of the full facts and are thus given in good faith but without liability and should not be relied upon as formal legal advice.

Comment

Just out of interest, how on earth did they manage to clock up nine thousand pounds' worth of damage? That's staggering.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

9k? Bah! Try 26k!

Comment

Originally posted by Emma1973 View Post
          9k? Bah! Try 26k!
          But what did they do? Take a sledgehammer to the place or what?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Basically! Let bathroom over till hole in kitchen ceiling, locked dogs in rooms till said dogs ate their way through plaster, said dogs pooed all over floor, then ripped carpets up and let dogs poo on floor. (6 months with all windows open and regularly cleaning floorboards with bleach before smell went.
            Other holes in walls and doors, missing radiators, ripped out light sockets, smashed up kitchen and bathroom. Decor was a tad wanting as well! And a load of other small stuff!

Have to say builders managed to do a fab job in 8 weeks, and we live here now!

Comment

Oh.

It puts my hissy-fit when I discovered a few small scratches on the kitchen worktop into perspective...

Comment

Originally posted by PRS View Post
                Based on the limited info provided, your action/claim can only be against those people named on the tenancy agreement. Whether or not, or to what degree, the original female T who vacated at 8 months might be held liable may well depend on exactly what you said/agreed to at that time and what proof you have of the arrangements/conditions of her release.
                Thanks for getting back to me. What information is limited that you need?

The original female T vacated on the basis that she couldn't afford to pay the rent, and that, she couldn't live with the male T (who was her friend).

I mentioned to her that with only 3 months remaining on the joint Tenancy she has two options: 1. Continue living or 2. Leave but pay me the rent owed. She suggested that her friend would move in for the remaining 3 months (who left not paying the complete rent).

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PRS View Post
                  Whether or not, or to what degree, the original female T who vacated at 8 months might be held liable may well depend on exactly what you said/agreed to at that time and what proof you have of the arrangements/conditions of her release.
                  LBA was sent to the original female T. She has written back refusing outright that she has no liability as a result of leaving early. Also that she claims the property was in good condition when I visited (which it wasn't) on that basis she is not liable.

The new female T have not provided forwarding address. She was also not on the or any contract. Iis this the Estate Agents fault? That is, did they not do proper 'handover'?

I don't know where I stand legally with the 'other tenants' (the original female T and the new female T) to recoup the cost of damages. I really cannot afford the finance of a solicitor (being 7months pregnant). I am really sorry, but if I had to what type of solicitor should I search for? There are so many types.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Annex
                    by Dreamingofsea
                    I think you have said above you only want a lodger. In this case with the layout described it is highly unlikely to be ruled one in a court. I think it would therefore be very unwise to issue a lodger s agreement to a tenant because say down the line you want to evict the tenant and they go to seek...
                    18-09-2021, 17:14 PM
                  • Annex
                    by Lammas13
                    I have a self contained annex, it has kitchen, shower, toilet and own entrance from the alleyway.
                    when we bought our house it was already there. It was build with proper planning permission.
                    How do I go about renting it out. Washing machine would have to be shares in the main house. ...
                    15-09-2021, 17:44 PM
                  • Reply to Annex
                    by Dreamingofsea
                    As said above - This is a grey area. Probably It can not be a lodger s agreement just sharing a washing machine .It could be as Artful said common tenancy a non-assured short hold (little advantage since you have to evict through a court possession order and there is no accelerated process and you...
                    18-09-2021, 17:02 PM
                  • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                    by royw
                    I use cheap carpet over good underlay everywhere.
                    18-09-2021, 16:57 PM
                  • Typical lifetime of carpets
                    by davett
                    I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                    17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                    by Moderator2
                    Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                    1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                    18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                  • Tenant references are a joke.
                    by Hooper
                    I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                    17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    The underlay is the key.
                    At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                    18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                    by jpucng62
                    Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                    18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                  • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                    by jpkeates
                    There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                    The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                    If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                    18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                  Working...
                  X