The appliance is different from when I viewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The appliance is different from when I viewed

I've just moved in a house. There was a washer dryer when I viewed the property, but I found there is a differet washing machine installed which is not dryer together. I asked the Landlord to provide a tumble dryer but she rejected. Can I buy a tumble dryer and deducrt the cost from the monthly rent? Please advise me!!!

What did the inventory say about the w/machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary22 View Post
      I've just moved in a house. There was a washer dryer when I viewed the property, but I found there is a differet washing machine installed which is not dryer together. I asked the Landlord to provide a tumble dryer but she rejected. Can I buy a tumble dryer and deducrt the cost from the monthly rent? Please advise me!!!
      If the inventory does not mention a washer-dryer, then no, you can't.

If it specifies a washer-dryer, then you can insist LL provides one.

If you were shown one on viewing the property (any witnesses, or would it be your word against theirs?), LL should make one available, but it may be hard to prove.

Simplest solution is probably to buy your own and take it with you when you leave. You can get small ones for about £80 in Comet/Asda/Tesco.

You may actually be better off without a combined-washer-dryer. They are very inefficient energy-wise, only dry half a load of washing at a time and take ages to get through a programme. Plus, I have it on good authority that they are the white goods item most likely by far to break down.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for your advice. The Landlord admited that it was a washer dryer but she changed it

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post

If you were shown one on viewing the property (any witnesses, or would it be your word against theirs?), LL should make one available, but it may be hard to prove.

.....no WAY .

I did a viewing this evening on one of my flats, there were lots of lovely things on view, a very nice lcd TV, a very nice computer, a lap top, lots of crystal glasses, a piano etc

I hope the new Tenant is not going to be to upset when the existing T takes their possessions with them when they leave.

Moral of the story: ask questions and get things confirmed in writing before committing.

I had a bit of an amusing to-do with an agent very recently who found me a T (T find service only), Almost exactly the same scenario :

On move in day T asked me when washer drier would be coming to replace w/m....Hmmmmm thought I, first i had heard of it, so i asked what had led her to believe this was to happen. The T replied that LA had stated that w/d would be provided when required !!!

Uh oh ....No problem, if LA has stated this then give him a call and ask him when it will be delivered !!!

Now i don't know whether T was trying it on, or LA was full of BS to let the flat, either way the topic has not been raised since by either of them, it has been nearly 2 months now !
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
            .....no WAY .

I did a viewing this evening on one of my flats, there were lots of lovely things on view, a very nice lcd TV, a very nice computer, a lap top, lots of crystal glasses, a piano etc

I hope the new Tenant is not going to be to upset when if the existing T takes their possessions with them when they leave.

Moral of the story: ask questions and get things confirmed in writing before committing.

I agree, it is important to be clear about what is and is not included especially if previous T's stuff is all over the place. However, it sounds as though T had been shown round by A or LL and had been made aware of a washer-drier when viewing. It was not unreasonable to expect it still to be there when she moved in, unless she is alerted to the fact that it would not be.

As for getting it in writing, yes, it makes sense to ask for a copy of the inventory as you view. However, properties are usually taken 'as seen' - and if you see a washer-drier, in principle, it should be assumed to be included unless specifically excluded. Which it wasn't!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

However, properties are usually taken 'as seen' - and if you see a washer-drier, in principle, it should be assumed to be included unless specifically excluded. Which it wasn't!
              Most of my viewings are conducted on occupied props NOT vacant ones.
              The assumptions above are ridiculous.
              Does this apply to:

lots of lovely things on view, a very nice lcd TV, a very nice computer, a lap top, lots of crystal glasses, a piano etc
              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
              W.Churchill

Comment

I agree, it is important to be clear about what is and is not included especially if previous T's stuff is all over the place. However, it sounds as though T had been shown round by A or LL and had been made aware of a washer-drier when viewing. It was not unreasonable to expect it still to be there when she moved in, unless she is alerted to the fact that it would not be.

As for getting it in writing, yes, it makes sense to ask for a copy of the inventory as you view. However, properties are usually taken 'as seen' - and if you see a washer-drier, in principle, it should be assumed to be included unless specifically excluded. Which it wasn't!
                Your comment really makes sence to me. Thanks.

Comment

You may actually be better off without a combined-washer-dryer. They are very inefficient energy-wise, only dry half a load of washing at a time and take ages to get through a programme. Plus, I have it on good authority that they are the white goods item most likely by far to break down.
                  I agree with all your comments above!

I have a washer/dryer in my flat because there is simply not enough space to have a normal tumble dryer as well as a washing machine. However, it is still "better than nothing" and absolutely essential for drying cotton stuff like towels in a small flat.

These machines have improved a bit since the original ones - it washes 6lb of clothes and dries 5lb which I found works well. But, it is definitely not as good as a normal tumble drier (it works on a different principle) and yes - takes HOURS!!!!

Oh - and about 1 week after the end of the warranty it suddenly started blowing the main trip switch when the dryer was used, which repair cost a fortune and turned out to be just a loose wire!!
                  Mrs Jones
                  I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Advertise on freecycle, tumble driers often come up!
                    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                      Most of my viewings are conducted on occupied props NOT vacant ones.
                      The assumptions above are ridiculous.
                      Does this apply to:

lots of lovely things on view, a very nice lcd TV, a very nice computer, a lap top, lots of crystal glasses, a piano etc
                      Rodent, stop being obtuse. (Another word to add to your collection . Or 'obstreperous', if you prefer. Both describe you perfectly!).

Laptops, lots of crystal glasses and pianos, as you very well know, are not and have never been, part of the range of items normally included in a furnished letting in this country. (The Palace of Versailles, perhaps, but I don't think they rent that out any more). I am sure that you do not provide these things in your properties and it would be a strangely optimistic tenant who expected you to do so. TV sets sometimes are provided, sometimes not, so it would be an idea if the LL made it clear before the TA is signed, whether a TV seen at viewing stage is included or not.

Large white goods such as washing machines and washer-driers, on the other hand, are generally part of the furniture provided, unless T has been in property longer than average and has bought their own...or unless the LL tells T before signing the contract that the appliance seen is not included. It would unprofessional of the LL to do otherwise.

Go and bag up some more vacuum cleaner waste...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X