Utility Companys demanding LL's contact details from new T's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility Companys demanding LL's contact details from new T's

Its common place for water and elec suppliers in my area to hound new tenants for their landlords details, name, phone number & address. No doubt to bill them if theres any empty period in the property.

I never provide any details of tenants to companys and even the council (esp when they ask for forwarding address's etc) other than their names and moving in dates.

Why should we be expected to break the data protection act when THEY see fit? they love to quote "we cant give you that information sir" to us when we dare ask for some info on "our property" and "tenants!"

What rights do they have to do this?

Originally posted by Neil75 View Post
    Its common place for water and elec suppliers in my area to hound new tenants for their landlords details, name, phone number & address. No doubt to bill them if theres any empty period in the property.

I never provide any details of tenants to companys and even the council (esp when they ask for forwarding address's etc) other than their names and moving in dates.

Why should we be expected to break the data protection act when THEY see fit? they love to quote "we cant give you that information sir" to us when we dare ask for some info on "our property" and "tenants!"

What rights do they have to do this?
    Think about it. It is in your interests (and those of the community at large) to supply tenants' forwarding details if they have left the property owing money for utilities. Otherwise, the utility companies will either chase you for the money (which you do not owe and are not liable for, but it's a hassle), or they will write off the loss and put the prices up for everyone to cover the cost of those people who use electricity and gas without paying for it. No brainer.

There should be no reason why you would legitimately require the utility compaines to disclose info about your tenants to you, so your last question is something of a red herring.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X