Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period for leaving

This is what our tenancy contract says

"DATE: 1st day of March 2006 and (if the Landlord has not served notice of termination) from month to month after that subject to two months notice"

Does this mean we must give the landlord two months notice before leaving, or that they must give us two months if they decide to end the tenancy?

Also where would we stand if we only want to give them 1 month notice?

many thanks

as a periodic tenant you are only required to give one month's notice, but it must end on the day your rent runs out. Going over, even by one day, commits you to another month at least.

The LL would have to give you two months, same conditions.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by bowie1979 View Post
      This is what our tenancy contract says

"DATE: 1st day of March 2006 and (if the Landlord has not served notice of termination) from month to month after that subject to two months notice"

Does this mean we must give the landlord two months notice before leaving, or that they must give us two months if they decide to end the tenancy?

Also where would we stand if we only want to give them 1 month notice?
      Originally posted by jta View Post
      as a periodic tenant you are only required to give one month's notice, but it must end on the day your rent runs out. Going over, even by one day, commits you to another month at least.
      Maybe not!
      If the quotation in post #1 is accurate, perhaps what started on '1 May 2006' was a tenancy granted periodic from day1. In that event:
      a. there is no fixed term; so
      b. s.5(3)(e) of the 1988 Act will not apply; and
      c. the requirement that T has to give at least two months' Notice could be valid.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Maybe not!
        There I go, assuming things again.
        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X