L suing me (as tenant) for acknowledged rent arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L suing me (as tenant) for acknowledged rent arrears

I am being sued by my lanlord for arrears in rent. I have no issue with the amount owed nor disputing this. We have tried to work soemthing out but unfortunatley due to my circumsatnces i could not come up with any amount. Now i am a professional person but CURRENTLY a full time PhD student at the moment, therfore no monthly income.
    I am scheduled to be in court on Monday and was wondering if i do need a lawyer with me on Monday. Again, i do not dispute this but due to circumstances i have gotten myself into a bad situation. I am also concerned about the long term effect this will have on my ability to purchase a home etc in the future.
    I am in the process of getting his money but it will not happen by Monday. He has beeen extremely kind but i can see where he is coming from.
    Any advice re monday would be appreciated.
    Thanks

If a court judgment is made against you and you do not pay it within one month, it will remain on your record for six years. You will need to declare it on any future mortgage applications.

Have you vacated the property in question?

Comment

not vacated the property yet!

I have not vacatated the property as i i have paid per my agreement with the landlord August's rent and try to come up with some money on the back rent and then i could stay on. However, having to rely on loans to coming from the US to pay this off, it will take a couple more weeks maximum.

Again, i am not rtying to not take care of this and i have PhD to finish in June, so i am not going anywhere and he knows where to find me.

So if i come up with the entire amount within 1 month of the judgement, does this mean that i will not have judgement on my record.

Comment

if you explain all this to the judge he may grant possession to the landlord if you do not come up with the monies by a specified time but at least this will give you a month for example to get the monies sorted.

if you dont then he will be granted possession.

Comment

Originally posted by docmaa View Post
          So if i come up with the entire amount within 1 month of the judgement, does this mean that i will not have judgement on my record.
          Not strictly true... If you pay within 1 month you can APPLY to have the judgement removed. It won't happen automatically. If you don't apply within the month, it will be there for 6 years as Poppy said.

Comment

You do not say whether this is an ordinary default summons you have been sent, or a Section 8 ground 8 claim where possession AND rent arrears is sought, or what?

You cannot be given a definitive answer until these facts are revealed, but generally, if its a possession summons on ground 8 and you are in arrears of more than 2 months, then the court has to make a possession order and a judgment for the rent and costs assuming the papers to be in order. The money judgment will stay on credit files for 6 years.

If its an ordinary summons, then you get to stay in the property BUT you will have a judgment on your credit file for 6 years.

Snorkerz is slightly wrong - if you pay the judgment within 28 days, it is removed from the records and thus does not appear on your credit file, you can apply for a certificate of satisfaction at any time after payment and the court will check with the creditor when you paid and if they confirm it was paid within 28days - off it comes - if not, it stops there for 6 years.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X