Preprinted AST's and Notices - legal responsibilites of publishers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preprinted AST's and Notices - legal responsibilites of publishers

If one purchases pre-printed stationery and completes the document correctly what happens if that document fails on a legal point?

If that legal point related to a flaw in the printed document would the publisher be liable and could the publisher be responsible for costs arising from the use of the flawed document?

If there were any clauses denying responsibility for problems arising from the use of the forms would such clauses constitute an unfair contract between the purchaser of the form and the publisher or retailer?

Presumably if there is any liability the publisher will only be responsible for original copyright documents and photocopies would not be good evidence. Maybe another case for the landlord retaining the originals and providing the tenant with a copy!
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

I cannot ever recall any instances where it was proven that a pre-printed (by Oyez or RLA etc.) has been judged wrong except where it has been filled in incorrectly by the user.

Any offers to prove me wrong????

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
      I cannot ever recall any instances where it was proven that a pre-printed (by Oyez or RLA etc.) has been judged wrong except where it has been filled in incorrectly by the user.

Any offers to prove me wrong????
      1. Just found this old thread.

2. The answer lies in:
      a. who has a contract with whom; AND
      b. the law of negligence.

3. Assume that a publisher (P) makes an error in the form. This does happen: WHSmith cocked-up a Will form a few years ago.

4. Publisher has contract with wholesaler (W) who has contract with retailer (R) or something like that.

5. R sells to customer (C). C can enforce contract with R but no-one else. It is conceivable (but unlikely) that W's contract with R might give third parties some rights, in which case the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 would give C rights against W and so on.

6. So C's contractual rights are chiefly against R. C would have to show that R broke a contract by selling defective document.

7. Better way forwards would be if C could show negligence by P, because P can reasonably foresee that R will supply form to C who is going to rely on its accuracy. C would have to show that:
      a. duty of care owed by P;
      b. P broke duty; and
      c. C suffered loss as a result.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Are you that bored Jeffrey that you are trawling through olds posts! ... Whats up hun have you recently retired and have little else to do!!!!
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
          Are you that bored Jeffrey that you are trawling through olds posts! ... Whats up hun have you recently retired and have little else to do!!!!
          No. I'm:
          a. not bored;
          b. not retired; and
          c. quite busy.

But it's interesting to see occasional old threads of relevance. Is that a problem which is causing you some personal angst?
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Keep going through the old threads Jeffrey, we might all learn something new!

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
              Keep going through the old threads Jeffrey, we might all learn something new!
              Wot, ALL the old threads? Have a heart, guv.
              See new post on Take a Break...

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                Wot, ALL the old threads? Have a heart, guv.
                See new post on Take a Break...
                I'm a Landlord, I don't have a heart ( as my wife says )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  MrShed
                  I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                  20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  jpkeates
                  We can trade with anyone.
                  What matters is the terms we trade on.

Currently we're beyond screwed.
                  I wanted more for my children than being a pale version of a comic relief video....
                  20-07-2017, 20:31 PM
                  JK0
                  Happy days! We can trade with the EU after Brexit then!...
                  20-07-2017, 20:24 PM
                  jpkeates
                  That's two questions.

First, no.
                  Second, no.

The EU trades with China on the basis that no personal data is migrated, same as the USA....
                  20-07-2017, 20:23 PM
                  JK0
                  20-07-2017, 20:17 PM
                  JK0
                  So the EU requires anyone it trades with at the moment to comply with all the laws the EU complies with? Erm, doesn't most stuff come from China nowadays?...
                  20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                • RGI and housing benefit
                  cdbe
                  Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to letting. My situation is:

Couple view house, like it etc, seem OK to me. She's full time employed, he's currently unemployed but looking to start his own business as a tattoo artist. Still ok-ish. They pay me £100 holding deposit and £100 referencing...
                  18-07-2017, 00:08 AM
                • Reply to RGI and housing benefit
                  cdbe
                  Thanks. I've binned them off. The ref co said what she earns won't cover it. TBH I don't know why I tried. I've offered her the holding deposit in full plus whatever I get back from uklandlord referencing.co (I paid them £140 - 110 for one reference and 1 year RGI and 30 for second reference, so basically...
                  20-07-2017, 19:48 PM
                • Resident Landlord tenancy
                  Rocky1001
                  Hi all, need some advice please.

I'm in the process of letting my flat out but am struggling to work out exactly what type of tenancy I should be using, from my research I believe it should be a form of Excluded resident landlord tenancy but I can't seem to find a suitable template as...
                  10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
                • Reply to Resident Landlord tenancy
                  Rocky1001
                  Hi, thanks for that, so would it make a difference if I offer shared use of the main bathroom and not just limit the tenant to their en-suite in their self contained section?
                  Also can I ask recommendation regarding best way of handling council tax?

I assume their are existing templates...
                  20-07-2017, 17:40 PM
                Working...
                X