X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ensuring complete return of deposit...

Prior to this experience I have always rented privately or as a lodger and
    therefore I have been able to ensure that the landlord/owner is present and
    satisfied with the condition of the property before handing back the keys.

Currently I rent through a lettings agency, and the procedure is to hand in
    the keys at the agency office before close of business on the last day of
    tenancy. Obviously this does not give me the opportunity to discuss with the
    agent his opinions of any shortcomings in the standards of cleaning/repair
    before I leave the property. I am concerned that this will leave me open to
    accusations of additional expenses and the dreaded "admin fees" required to
    return the property to its original condition to be deducted from my
    deposit.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated!

Hi- You could ask to be present when the inventory is done... if there is one being done!

Comment

Originally posted by joolie View Post
      Hi- You could ask to be present when the inventory is done... if there is one being done!
      Hi, that is the point - usually I am present when the inventory is being done - in this case, they are making me just hand over the keys!

Comment

well I suppose all you can do is to ensure that you DO leave the property in good condition- and make sure you take some good photos?

Comment

Originally posted by joolie View Post
          well I suppose all you can do is to ensure that you DO leave the property in good condition- and make sure you take some good photos?
          I am concerned that regardless of any photos I take of the condition of the property, the agent will have carte blanche to levy on the deposit as opinions on cleanliness and wear and tear are subjective. What protection do I have should the landlord say - "I'm sorry, but you did not clean the property to an appropriate standard, we had to hire a cleaning firm in, so we will be deducting the cost plus VAT and an admin charge".

Comment

Has your deposit been protected? (do you know if it needed to be?, ie rent less than 25k pa, in England and Wales, signed after Apr 07).

I think you should try and be there for the final inventory, or else I think you can claim that it's not valid. Just take lots of photos before you move out, and perhaps include a photo of a paper with the date you are taking the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by awt19 View Post
              Has your deposit been protected? (do you know if it needed to be?, ie rent less than 25k pa, in England and Wales, signed after Apr 07).

I think you should try and be there for the final inventory, or else I think you can claim that it's not valid. Just take lots of photos before you move out, and perhaps include a photo of a paper with the date you are taking the photos.
              Presumably it will have been - the rental is less than 10k and it is a proper residential lettings agency.

They said they have another company do the inventory and check that everything is up to scratch after I have moved out, thats why I have to hand back the keys on the date of me moving out.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusfox View Post
                Presumably it will have been - the rental is less than 10k and it is a proper residential lettings agency.

They said they have another company do the inventory and check that everything is up to scratch after I have moved out, thats why I have to hand back the keys on the date of me moving out.
                A proper residential letting's agency means nothing. Many flout the rules.

They are legally required to provide you with information on which Tenancy Deposit Scheme your deposit is held with. They are not allowed to hold the money themselves. If the money isnt protected, then they can get in big trouble (and you can sue them for 3x your deposit as a penalty).

If you havent received this information (they are required to give it to you within 14 days of you paying the deposit), then I would be concerned.

The whole reason the schemes are in place are to provide tenants with an dispute service, and to ensure the landlord/agent doesnt unilaterally make any deductions he/they want too...

Do you not have this information? This will help you ensure that you get your full deposit back! if you dont have it, I suggest you find out why!

I suggest you have a read of this also: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/DG_066373

Comment

Originally posted by awt19 View Post
                  A proper residential letting's agency means nothing. Many flout the rules.

They are legally required to provide you with information on which Tenancy Deposit Scheme your deposit is held with. They are not allowed to hold the money themselves. If the money isnt protected, then they can get in big trouble (and you can sue them for 3x your deposit as a penalty).

If you havent received this information (they are required to give it to you within 14 days of you paying the deposit), then I would be concerned.

The whole reason the schemes are in place are to provide tenants with an dispute service, and to ensure the landlord/agent doesnt unilaterally make any deductions he/they want too...

Do you not have this information? This will help you ensure that you get your full deposit back! if you dont have it, I suggest you find out why!

I suggest you have a read of this also: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/DG_066373
                  I do not have this information. The agent told me that the deposit would be protected, but I was not aware that they had to do anything more than protect it. What information are they supposed to provide?

Comment

take a look at the link provided by awt19 - the info is all there.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusfox View Post
                      I do not have this information. The agent told me that the deposit would be protected, but I was not aware that they had to do anything more than protect it. What information are they supposed to provide?
                      I suggest you call the 3 TDS's and see if either of them have your money. This should clear it up.

If they dont... then the LL could be messing you around, and if you want your full deposit back, I suggest you get them to protect it asap.

Comment

The deposit is held with PDS.

Comment

Been in your position recently but you are a few days behind. Take LOADS of photos! Clean clean clean, loads more photos! If the house is left in good condition, general wear and tear is expected. Carpet cleaning is where they can get you too............ PHOTOS!

Comment

Well, tenancy ended some weeks ago and have just got a letter from them advising me that the property needed a lightbulb replacing and a light clean and they are charging me £90 for this. I don't agree, as I cleaned the property to a high standard and took lots of video and photographs to show the condition of the property on checkout day. What do you advise my next step to be? I was thinking of writing and asking for copies of invoices as even £90 seems excessive for a light bulb and a light clean. The lightbulb that they mention was on the inventory as not working when I moved in anyway.

Comment

Assuming the LL/LA have provided you with the prescribed information relating to your deposit protection with DPS, contact the the DPS and tell them you wish to raise a dispute. Then the scheme arbitrator will look at your LL's claim and your defence in the light of any evidence (the onus will be on your LL to prove his proposed deductions are justified), and decide who gets what.

It may well be the case that you get the whole deposit back - especially if you have photos to show what state you left the property in when you left.
                              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by ash5050
                                "In the past I've been really impressed about how quickly issues have been sorted, but this appears to be taking longer. If I can do anything to help this get resolved quicker please let me know, but I'd appreciate if this could be sorted ASAP as it's affecting me quite a lot. I wouldn't want...
                                13-04-2021, 18:30 PM
                              • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by sushi
                                My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
                                13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant referencing affordability
                                by Hudson01
                                Have you asked more about the CCJ ? Was it for rent ....... is it just one ....... i tend to not trust guarantors, i do not take them and only let to those who can stand on their own two feet in terms of affordability..... it is a choice though.
                                13-04-2021, 18:23 PM
                              • Tenant referencing affordability
                                by Kate foster
                                Hi all,
                                I have found a tenant through open rent and he failed referencing due to CCJ. He got a garauntor who earns 46,271 pounds per annum and the rent is 1095. The rent guard referencing did through open rent has declined the garauntor as unsuitable due to less income. They want 4 times the monthly...
                                13-04-2021, 17:02 PM
                              • Possession order question
                                by Borgie
                                Got a telephone hearing early next month to get possssion order. Can anyone talk me through what is likely to happen at this please. Plus will it definitely proceed to a physical hearing ( have a date for this if it happens) or could the possession order be granted at the telephone hearing?
                                13-04-2021, 18:18 PM
                              • Reply to Flight risk renting to foreign nationals
                                by AndrewDod
                                I think you need to get to know your market. In one area I have been letting to Chinese nationals for 25 years. Never had a single problem.

Discriminating against particular groups of people is bad. Discriminating based on what your nose is telling you for your particular area and based...
                                13-04-2021, 17:59 PM
                              • Flight risk renting to foreign nationals
                                by CHARLIEMAN
                                Hi

I was wondering what the general consensus was for renting to foreign nationals.

I have a one bedroom flat which is nearly always rented out to either UK resident/ domicile students or young professionals and as such generally we use guarantor agreements for their parents...
                                13-04-2021, 15:56 PM
                              • Reply to Question about rented house extension
                                by Hudson01
                                When you say ' extend ' i take it you mean knocking through the gable end of the property and then adding extra sq footage ?? Not a separate dwelling, kind of stuck on the current exterior wall of the current house ....... if the former then i cannot see how the current tenants can stay, the building...
                                13-04-2021, 17:56 PM
                              • Question about rented house extension
                                by ss1981
                                Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like...
                                13-04-2021, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to Flight risk renting to foreign nationals
                                by Hudson01
                                It is sensible to consider it, i would not opt for a tenant from abroad due to this reason, yes a uk national could not pay but they will be somewhere in the uk (probably), and even though there is little chance of getting any arrears back from them, a foreign national....... zero chance.
                                13-04-2021, 17:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X