Opinions sought - Underlay or no Underlay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions sought - Underlay or no Underlay?

We are just coming to the last few weeks of renovation of an ex-council house that we intend to rent out.

The house is being treated to the standard white gloss woodwork and magnolia walls as we speak.

I've just popped in to our local carpet shop and asked for an estimate for flooring etc and they have advised not to fit underlay as "in their experience" it is not required for this type of rpoperty and DSS tenants. They have advised a pretty standard heavy use domestic carpet which they say is perfect.

I've never put carpet down on to bare floorboards without underlay. Is this normal practise for rental properties at the DSS end of the market? Our other rental property is quite high end and fitted out with top quality materials. We've never entered into the DSS market before!

It just feels very prejudice.

Underlay is there to increase the life of the carpet. Presumably with DSS tenants you are putting down nylon carpet - which lasts longer anyway - and expect to replace it at the end of the tenancy anyway.

Seems to make sense not to bother with it. You do realise your entire house is going to be trashed by each set of tenants, don't you? Every void will lead to several weeks' renovation.

Comment

I hear that the Royal Institute of British Architects recommends it.

RIBA, RIBA, underlay, underlay.....

http://everything2.com/title/Speedy+Gonzales
      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
        I've just popped in to our local carpet shop and asked for an estimate for flooring etc and they have advised not to fit underlay as "in their experience" it is not required for this type of rpoperty and DSS tenants. They have advised a pretty standard heavy use domestic carpet which they say is perfect.
        Certainly not standard practice; on what basis does their experience tell them it's not required?

I always use it myself as it greatly prolongs the life of the carpet; if a carpet gets trashed by a tenant before the end of what would otherwise be its useful life I retain the old underlay and just replace the carpet. I've never yet had trashed underlay!

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
          Underlay is there to increase the life of the carpet. Presumably with DSS tenants you are putting down nylon carpet - which lasts longer anyway - and expect to replace it at the end of the tenancy anyway.

Seems to make sense not to bother with it. You do realise your entire house is going to be trashed by each set of tenants, don't you? Every void will lead to several weeks' renovation.
          I hope thats not an attack on DSS tenants as that would be bigoted.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
            You do realise your entire house is going to be trashed by each set of tenants, don't you? Every void will lead to several weeks' renovation.
            I know many of us landlords are reluctant to let to DSS tenants because of various potential problems, many related to the new LHA regime, but I think this statement is a bit over the top. There are people on benefits who do look after their homes - it just takes a lot of effort to make sure you let to one of them!
            Mrs Jones
            I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X