Furnishings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnishings

I'm just taking on my first property, which has the benefit of an existing tenant of two years' good standing, who has been give notice and who is to sign a new tenancy agreement with me.
    It's let unfurnished, which I expected to mean that I would be responsible for carpets, curtains, a cooker, fitted kitchen and bathroom and provision for heating (in this case central heating).
    However, I've just realised that the outgoing landlord is also providing a fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, two beds and a sofa, all of which the tenant will probably feel a sense of grievance about if I don't continue to provide and maintain.
    What exactly should "unfurnished" be reasonably taken to mean?

You will need to be very careful how you handle this if you purchased the property with a sitting tenant. It will depend upon the type of tenancy agreement but the tenant may be entitled to the terms and conditions of the original contract - it is illegal to draw up a new tenancy agreement with less security and I judge this may extend to less favourable terms including services etc
    ddd

Comment

"Unfurnished" lets are relatively rare - normally it's taken to mean there's not even floor coverings

"Part-furnished" is what you have - carpets and curtains included, maybe some kitchen white goods etc.

Surely the thing to do would be to purchase all the existing furnishings in the property from the current owner. Bit odd, really, that you are acquiring the house, tenant, but not several items of furniture in there. They will be worth peanuts in second-hand value, so I can't imagine the current owner wants them. Is he biding his time waiting for you to offer to buy them?

Being reasonable though, you really can't just go and leave the tenant in the lurch and expect him to go shopping for all that furniture for himself, regardless of any legal obligations you may have (as others have indicated). If I were the tenant I'd be very, very hacked off if that happened to me!

Comment

Thanks for that guidance.

In fact, the present owner has given the tenant notice, which will expire on the day that contracts are exchanged, so that I have vacant possession.

However, I said that I would then offer a new let to the tenant, so it doesn't seem to me that I would be changing the terms of the let.

As I don't want the expense and hassle of maintaining and replacing white goods and furniture, I'm planning to offer them to the tenant for a knockdown sum, if the present owner is keen to part with them.

Sound like a plan?

Comment

Just because the existing LL has given notice to expire on exchange does not mean you will have vacant possesion! If the tenants do not leave the esisting LL would have to go to court to obtain a possesion order. There is no need for the old LL to give notice if you are going to retain them. A few years ago we bought two properties at auction with tenants on AST's on completion we issued new Tenancy agreements to the tenants.

With regards to the furniture you should discuss with the existing LL what he wants to do with it all and he should sell it to the tenants if that is the path he choses to take.
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• council won't help with Noise and Nuisance
            Darnok
            My tenant is having a hard time with a neighbour, who's installed a door alarm to catch the burglar who steals from her fridge (!?). My tenant is frustrated by the alarm going off 3 times a night, probably due to the neighbour opening the door herself. I've called council (landlord of the neighbour),...
            15-01-2018, 12:32 PM
          • Reply to council won't help with Noise and Nuisance
            jpkeates
            The tenant can't pull out of the contract because the property is uninhabitable if it isn't.
            An alarm going off at night isn't enough to make the place uninhabitable, it's just a pain and the tenant needs to sort it out.

The people the tenant will have to involve to have the property...
            16-01-2018, 09:35 AM
          • Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
            Hallie
            My tenants accidentally set fire to my property causing catastrophic damage. Unfortunately I had let my building insurance lapse and so have had to pay for all refurbishment and damage myself. The house is still uninhabitable with no tenants living there. The fire service came out and the cause...
            15-01-2018, 19:16 PM
          • Reply to Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
            Hallie
            Thank you Mr B your advice is certainly reassuring...
            16-01-2018, 09:32 AM
          • Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
            Killuzka
            Hello,

​​​​​Im new here so I hope i posted in right section.

​​​​​​I have a problem, I was helping out a friend and I kept her cat at my place for a few days, because it all came so fast i had to make a toilet really fast for cat .. it was from cardboard...
            15-01-2018, 19:42 PM
          • Reply to Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
            jpkeates
            The landlord is able to claim for any loss beyond fair wear and tear that occurs during the tenancy.
            The damage isn't fair wear and tear, so the landlord can ask you for compensation.

Will the landlord even notice before you move out - which is when any claim can be made?
            Otherwise,...
            16-01-2018, 09:26 AM
          • Am I locked in to agency fees?
            SaurfLondonLad
            I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
            15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
          • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
            jpkeates
            Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
            16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
          • Termination of Tenancy
            janeygee
            Hi,
            looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
            I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
            15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
          • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
            jpkeates
            The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
            They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
            They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
            16-01-2018, 09:19 AM
          Working...
          X