Furnishings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnishings

I'm just taking on my first property, which has the benefit of an existing tenant of two years' good standing, who has been give notice and who is to sign a new tenancy agreement with me.
    It's let unfurnished, which I expected to mean that I would be responsible for carpets, curtains, a cooker, fitted kitchen and bathroom and provision for heating (in this case central heating).
    However, I've just realised that the outgoing landlord is also providing a fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, two beds and a sofa, all of which the tenant will probably feel a sense of grievance about if I don't continue to provide and maintain.
    What exactly should "unfurnished" be reasonably taken to mean?

You will need to be very careful how you handle this if you purchased the property with a sitting tenant. It will depend upon the type of tenancy agreement but the tenant may be entitled to the terms and conditions of the original contract - it is illegal to draw up a new tenancy agreement with less security and I judge this may extend to less favourable terms including services etc
    ddd

Comment

"Unfurnished" lets are relatively rare - normally it's taken to mean there's not even floor coverings

"Part-furnished" is what you have - carpets and curtains included, maybe some kitchen white goods etc.

Surely the thing to do would be to purchase all the existing furnishings in the property from the current owner. Bit odd, really, that you are acquiring the house, tenant, but not several items of furniture in there. They will be worth peanuts in second-hand value, so I can't imagine the current owner wants them. Is he biding his time waiting for you to offer to buy them?

Being reasonable though, you really can't just go and leave the tenant in the lurch and expect him to go shopping for all that furniture for himself, regardless of any legal obligations you may have (as others have indicated). If I were the tenant I'd be very, very hacked off if that happened to me!

Comment

Thanks for that guidance.

In fact, the present owner has given the tenant notice, which will expire on the day that contracts are exchanged, so that I have vacant possession.

However, I said that I would then offer a new let to the tenant, so it doesn't seem to me that I would be changing the terms of the let.

As I don't want the expense and hassle of maintaining and replacing white goods and furniture, I'm planning to offer them to the tenant for a knockdown sum, if the present owner is keen to part with them.

Sound like a plan?

Comment

Just because the existing LL has given notice to expire on exchange does not mean you will have vacant possesion! If the tenants do not leave the esisting LL would have to go to court to obtain a possesion order. There is no need for the old LL to give notice if you are going to retain them. A few years ago we bought two properties at auction with tenants on AST's on completion we issued new Tenancy agreements to the tenants.

With regards to the furniture you should discuss with the existing LL what he wants to do with it all and he should sell it to the tenants if that is the path he choses to take.
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help re flatsharing legal position!
            CatherineCarr
            Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
            24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
          • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
            Wright76
            I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
            24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
          • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
            pdmalik
            Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
            23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
          • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
            wfd_property
            So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
            24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
          • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
            Manchesterlandlord
            hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
            24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
          • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
            wfd_property
            Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
            24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
            KTC
            "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
            24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
          • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Jcg76
            I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
            Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
            24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
            nukecad
            At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
            And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
            24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
            jpkeates
            Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
            Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
            Give them the deposit back and you're done....
            24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
          Working...
          X