Property-maintenance scheme @ £12p.m.- comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property-maintenance scheme @ £12p.m.- comments?

Hi Guys
    I own and rent out a few propertys, I also own a plubing heating electrical and general maintenance business in the Newcastle Area.
    I am putting the final pieces in place on a new maintenance scheme I aim to offer to landlords and would like you input. Honest crital input if possible.

I aim to charge £12 a month ongoing for this I intend to give the landlord the following benefits.
    a) Tennant will be given a keyring with our number on to ring for any maintenance issues cutting out any stress for the landlord. Agreed jobs will be dealt with without the landlords knowledge and then an invoice posted things like faulty taps , toilets , water leaks , gas boiler problems etc as long as they could be fixed for less than £90 anything over would require contact with the landlord and an estimate submitted.
    B) Benefit from attractive rates. Instead of the usual charge by hour maintenance issues would be charged in 15 min chunks bringing down the cost of minor repairs.
    C) All Gas electrical and energy performance certificates will be carried out and issued if / where neccassary on time and posted to the landlord.
    D)An hours worth of handy man type jobs will be carried out while visiting the property free of charge once per year sorting out any minor issues tennants always seem to have keeping them happy.
    d) Boiler serviced yearly extending the life of the appliance and cutting down the chance of unexpected breakdowns
    e)Free CO detector installed
    f)If a tennant moves out of the property the customer will be entitled to 4 hours work by 2 employees to clean the flat remove any of the previous tennant belongings clean the cooker and proffesionally clean the carpets if need be . Up to once per year.
    g)We would also submit a form with every visit letting you know the condition of your asset . Whether there is signs of smoking , pets, damage to property . Giving the landlord a heads up on potential problem tennants
    h) Our service would run 24hrs 365 . We would aim to attend all prioroty jobs within 24 hrs. Also we would use common sense and if a tennant were to ring at 12pm on a sunday because a door has fell off we would not attend untill normal work hours.
    I) We offer all maintenance solutions from roofing , gutters , gas , electrical , joinery , painting decorating , professional carpet cleaning etc etc

I think thats about it . I would greatly appreiciate as many responses as possible would you be interested.obviously Im only offering this in my local area but would appreiciate comments.

Is there anything not on the list that would sway you . Do you think it is too steep and you would rather deal with everything yourself .

All comments welcome good and bad.

thanks in advance

Originally posted by daviezone View Post

Is there anything not on the list that would sway you . Do you think it is too steep and you would rather deal with everything yourself .

thanks in advance
    Sorry to seem thick, but I cannot work out what would I get for my £144 p.a. as it is unclear which jobs you charge extra to do/arrange. Perhaps you could re-arrange your list into two lists :

1 Things included in the £144
    2 Things we will arrange and bill you for

If a door has 'fell off', I would want to know it has been stuck back on PDQ!

Also, 'within 24 hours' doesn't sound much like a priority call to me!

Otherwise, it sounds like a useful service. Good luck with your venture.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for your reply.
      All maintenence issues will be seperate to the charge but will be at preferential rates. Most jobs are done in 30 mins and that is all you will be charged.
      The £12 a month entitles you to these rates and gets you on to the scheme.
      Obviously prioroty jobs will be addressed asap 24 hrs is the limit.
      What you get for free for the £12 per month is a CP12 and boiler service, an electrical safety certificate and energy performance cert if necessary. The tennant clean up scheme if a tennant moves out we will visit within days an get it ready to rent again. Free CO detector . Free hours worth of handyman type jobs while allready there.
      Hope this makes it clearer.

Comment

Hi Guys
        I own and rent out a few propertys, I also own a plubing heating electrical and general maintenance business in the Newcastle Area.
        I am putting the final pieces in place on a new maintenance scheme I aim to offer to landlords and would like you input. Honest crital input if possible.

I aim to charge £12 a month ongoing for this I intend to give the landlord the following benefits.
        a) Tennant will be given a keyring with our number on to ring for any maintenance issues cutting out any stress for the landlord. Agreed jobs will be dealt with without the landlords knowledge and then an invoice posted things like faulty taps , toilets , water leaks , gas boiler problems etc as long as they could be fixed for less than £90 anything over would require contact with the landlord and an estimate submitted.
        B) Benefit from attractive rates. Instead of the usual charge by hour maintenance issues would be charged in 15 min chunks bringing down the cost of minor repairs.
        C) All Gas electrical and energy performance certificates will be carried out and issued if / where neccassary on time and posted to the landlord.
        D)An hours worth of handy man type jobs will be carried out while visiting the property free of charge once per year sorting out any minor issues tennants always seem to have keeping them happy.
        d) Boiler serviced yearly extending the life of the appliance and cutting down the chance of unexpected breakdowns
        e)Free CO detector installed
        f)If a tennant moves out of the property the customer will be entitled to 4 hours work by 2 employees to clean the flat remove any of the previous tennant belongings clean the cooker and proffesionally clean the carpets if need be . Up to once per year.
        g)We would also submit a form with every visit letting you know the condition of your asset . Whether there is signs of smoking , pets, damage to property . Giving the landlord a heads up on potential problem tennants
        h) Our service would run 24hrs 365 . We would aim to attend all prioroty jobs within 24 hrs. Also we would use common sense and if a tennant were to ring at 12pm on a sunday because a door has fell off we would not attend untill normal work hours.
        I) We offer all maintenance solutions from roofing , gutters , gas , electrical , joinery , painting decorating , professional carpet cleaning etc etc

I think thats about it . I would greatly appreiciate as many responses as possible would you be interested.obviously Im only offering this in my local area but would appreiciate comments.

thanks in advance
        Sounds like an interesting idea however if I got a suprise bill for £85.99 in a month I would not be happy. Would the £12/month cover individual jobs for less than £90?

I would suspect this would be directly related to property/refit quality - eg a sh*t hole would require constant maintenance, therefore if you are including maintenance in this at £12/month all in (subject to less than £90 to fix) you could make a serious loss. I know British Gas reject boilers/systems if they are too old or not economical to fix, if covered by a maintenance contract.

Comment

Hi
          It was not my intention to cover any maintenance issues other than the free hours worth of minor jobs ccarried out while doing gas checks etc.

The idea was to save the landlord getting maintenance phone calls and these would just be dealt with by us so it was my intention that you would recieve a bill for £85 if we got a phone call for a water leak that took us 2 hours to repair and used £15 worth of materials.

The time of arrival and time left would be signed for by your tennant and any parts itemised on your invoice.

Im guessing by the initial reaction this might not go down as well as I had expected. But keep the comments coming the more the better . Might save me a fortune marketing the idea.

Thanks again for your time in replying

Comment

Hi
            Thanks for your reply.
            All maintenance issues will be separate to the charge but will be at preferential rates. Most jobs are done in 30 mins and that is all you will be charged.
            The £12 a month entitles you to these rates and gets you on to the scheme.
            Obviously prioroty jobs will be addressed ASAP 24 hrs is the limit.
            What you get for free for the £12 per month is a CP12 and boiler service, an electrical safety certificate and energy performance cert if necessary. The tennant clean up scheme if a tennant moves out we will visit within days an get it ready to rent again. Free CO detector . Free hours worth of handyman type jobs while allready there.
            Hope this makes it clearer.
            Well I'm not so sure you can actually make a profit here ?
            Cp12 - £25-£50
            Lecky cert £50-£70 (assuming you mean periodic inspection - HMO's require them annually )
            Does this include smoke alarm & emergency light certs ? (approx £30 each)
            EPC -£30-£50 (but only once every 10 yrs)
            Boiler service (£30-£70)
            But more interested in your clean up scheme !

1. I regularly have props back which require 2-4 runs to the tip with a large estate car, sometimes a skip full of "belongings" left behind.(3 trips 2hrs £30 -skip =£160)
            2. Clean oven (£35 for prof steam clean)
            3. Fridge/F as well ?( removal of rank gone off really bad smelling "food")
            4. Carpet cleaning (£100-£150 per prop - only this afternoon one of my staff spent 4 hours on just 2 carpets getting 12 mths worth of grime and hair sorted and that was with professional equipment!)
            5. CO detector - well yes BG give them away for free!
            6. 4 hrs by 2 employees (8hrs labour?) do you realise that prof cleaning companies bill their staff out at £15 per hour ? (£120)I have just had a cleaning estimate for one 2 bed flat(inc oven/carpets/bathroom mould etc ) of £350 to tenant or £250 to me as reg customer!
            7. An hour of handyman £15-£30.

That is potentially £700 ????????

Clearly not all props will require full use of all services, but those that do will cost you big time.

If you want to offer this service in Cardiff I will rip your arm off and book in >30 props with you on the spot !

BUT I would not let T have your Tel no and make all contact thru me, then personally assess wether or not my guys could deal with it, or hand over to you - at 3am on a Sat morning & if emergency I would hand over to you !!!
            ALSO fair to say that IF you can deliver the above proposals and your workmanship is up to scratch, at reasonable rates, then this is a fantastic way to lock in more work than you will probably be able to deal with !!
            Also a very positive way to build rapport with LL and build a very solid future customer base with a very promising outlook !

Outstanding package Sir- but can you really make a profit ?
            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
            W.Churchill

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply and I appreciate your feedback.
              You are right in that if all services are used then i would be at a loss but my thinking was that , not all services will be used and there will be swings and roundabouts but I would insist on the tennants ringing me for maintenance this is where it would compliment my service . I couldent offer that package to you and then let you arrange you own maintenence this would be a contradiction of the contract but strict guideline would be set out as to which issues were dealt with without your knowledge and could even thro in set prices for these issues if need be so there are no surprises. this is where I would hopefully balance the books. The idea of not informing you is nothing underhand just to help save time and red tape in relaying messages and getting an engineer to visit then have to get permission and revist to carry out the job. We would hopefully get 90% of issues fixed there and then and get onto the next job making for a smooth operation.

hope this makes sense

and thanks again for your input

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply and I appreciate your feedback.
                You are right in that if all services are used then i would be at a loss but my thinking was that , not all services will be used and there will be swings and roundabouts but I would insist on the tennants ringing me for maintenance this is where it would compliment my service . I couldent offer that package to you and then let you arrange you own maintenence this would be a contradiction of the contract but strict guideline would be set out as to which issues were dealt with without your knowledge and could even thro in set prices for these issues if need be so there are no surprises. this is where I would hopefully balance the books. The idea of not informing you is nothing underhand just to help save time and red tape in relaying messages and getting an engineer to visit then have to get permission and revist to carry out the job. We would hopefully get 90% of issues fixed there and then and get onto the next job making for a smooth operation.

hope this makes sense

and thanks again for your input
                Hi - fully understand your position, but in my experince 90% of calls are non urgent and V simple to fix in a few mins the next day - blocked drains/sinks dripping taps, boiler repressurizing, blown bulbs, fuses, trips, loose screws, cracked pattress boxes/sockets, squeaky hinges, rad aor bleeds ...and so on.

My feeling is that T will almost certainly call out a handyman over extremely minor issues long before they call a LL !!!
                I personally would not authorize any works without being notified, hence the reason for channeling the calls thru me!
                To be clear i would asses situation on phone and not require 2 visits - a callout is a callout !!!

I couldent offer that package to you and then let you arrange you own maintenence this would be a contradiction of the contract
                Hmm ...do you mean your contract wont allow me to carry out any works on my own property whilst under contract ? 'cos that would put me off a tad !

This said i would still use the services of a well qualified handyman offering this package regardless.

I suspect that you would get a very good response from "armchair" and non local LL proving a vital and extremely useful and what would appear to be a very good value for money package - EVEN IF LL FIELDS CALLS !!!

I would offer the option to LL to field calls - this can only encourage even more biz for you !
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

How will you know if the landlord accepts the financial liability for a particular sub £90 call out?
                  Dial 999 For a Landlord

Comment

Hi
                    I fully take on board your comments and appreiciate your time in helping me, I will certainly try to find some middle ground on this. It isnt my intention to visit the T's property to put on a cupboard door without the LL knowledge such things would most certainly be passed back with a price to get it sorted if indeed they wanted it done. I realise what some tennants can be like having had some serious pains in the A£$E myself. It is mainly the major issues I would like to go and get sorted in one visit to save on travel time diesel etc. If I could build up trust through my pricing structure the LL would know the problem would be dealt with the cheapest way possible. Cutting out these extra visits enables me to charge Per 15 mins as opposed to per hr like most other engineers.

I would appreiciate some feedback from experienced landlords on an average time a tennant is in your property if there is such a thing. To help me get a better grasp of how often the clean up would be excercised in the contract.

Thanks again I appreiciate your comments and feel free to chip in.

Comment

Krispy
                      Good question . In which cases would a landlord not accept responsibilty. I will have these clauses drawn in to the contract. Im guessing if the tennant has caused the damage through negligence. In which case I would leave the job and report it to the LL. Would there be any other scenarios ?

Thanks for the heads Up

Comment

Hi
                        I fully take on board your comments and appreiciate your time in helping me, I will certainly try to find some middle ground on this. It isnt my intention to visit the T's property to put on a cupboard door without the LL knowledge such things would most certainly be passed back with a price to get it sorted if indeed they wanted it done. I realise what some tennants can be like having had some serious pains in the A£$E myself. It is mainly the major issues I would like to go and get sorted in one visit to save on travel time diesel etc. If I could build up trust through my pricing structure the LL would know the problem would be dealt with the cheapest way possible. Cutting out these extra visits enables me to charge Per 15 mins as opposed to per hr like most other engineers.

I would appreiciate some feedback from experienced landlords on an average time a tennant is in your property if there is such a thing. To help me get a better grasp of how often the clean up would be excercised in the contract.

Thanks again I appreiciate your comments and feel free to chip in.

How long is a piece of string !!!
                        From 6m (generally) to life, but depends v.much on area and target market, students 12mths-3 yrs

But i think you have been very fair and would be well advised to offer it(the cleaning) as once every 12 mths within package and then charge a set fee (quotation) if required on the 2nd/3rd visit within 12 mths.
                        W.Churchill

Comment

Krispy
                          Good question . In which cases would a landlord not accept responsibilty. I will have these clauses drawn in to the contract. Im guessing if the tennant has caused the damage through negligence. In which case I would leave the job and report it to the LL. Would there be any other scenarios ?

Thanks for the heads Up
                          Throw a trip switch, unblock a sink/drain, change a lightbulb, bleed a radiator, snap a key in a lock, loose keys, unblock a hoover hose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also anything T may have damaged (as you point out) broken windows, or any other "T" damage!

This should be thread in its own right !!

Hence the reason for me fielding calls !
                          W.Churchill

Comment

Can anyone think of any services I could offer that would be of great benefit to LL. What is the biggests headaches / concerns regarding maintenance issues etc or do you think I have all bases covered.

Comment

Can anyone think of any services I could offer that would be of great benefit to LL. What is the biggests headaches / concerns regarding maintenance issues etc or do you think I have all bases covered.

I think you have a sound plan and only need to iron out the detail.
                              I also think you have all bases covered (if you can deliver properly and in a reasonable time frame !!)

The extra work you will get will be phenomenal IMO.

You have gas
                              Lecky
                              Plumbing
                              Decorating
                              Cleaning
                              Roofing /gutters?

The only thing you havent got covered (or mentioned) is the outside stuff,
                              gerdening (returning a 12m overgrown mess back to a lawn - or prefereably laying a maintenance free patio !
                              Painting reparing fences, gates, walls etc
                              W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X